Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with getting oranges in gamut  (Read 3355 times)

theophilus

Help with getting oranges in gamut
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:18:07 pm »

I'm having a terrible time getting a good-looking orange to print on my 3800.  This is the only thing I consistently bang my head against.

I've use the "gamut warning" while soft-proofing and what I'm trying to do shows up as a 'safe' color.  But I've heard conflicting views on whether or not to even use the gamut warning (i.e. on the camera-to-print videos).

The color I'm trying to achieve shows up in some Indian paintbrush that are the more orange variety (in the Rockies of New Mexico).  They always end up coming out a vibrant pinkish red type color.

I just find it ironic that Epson's press release for this printer mentions printing "vibrant orange" - so I hope I'm doing something wrong.  I'm not having issues with any other colors.

Any advice on this?

dealy663

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:38:16 am »

You're going to need to give us more info.

Are you using a properly color managed workflow?

Are you using Epson profiles, or those from the paper manufacturer, or custom profiles?

Are you an experienced inkjet printer that knows his way around Photoshop and the Epson print dialog?

What type of paper are you printing on?

By and large most of us find the 3800 to be an excellent printer readily capable of reproducing colors that occur in the natural world

I'm having a terrible time getting a good-looking orange to print on my 3800.  This is the only thing I consistently bang my head against.

I've use the "gamut warning" while soft-proofing and what I'm trying to do shows up as a 'safe' color.  But I've heard conflicting views on whether or not to even use the gamut warning (i.e. on the camera-to-print videos).

The color I'm trying to achieve shows up in some Indian paintbrush that are the more orange variety (in the Rockies of New Mexico).  They always end up coming out a vibrant pinkish red type color.

I just find it ironic that Epson's press release for this printer mentions printing "vibrant orange" - so I hope I'm doing something wrong.  I'm not having issues with any other colors.

Any advice on this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

theophilus

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:53:14 am »

Yes to a color-managed workflow, I have a Gretag Macbeth eye-one to profile my monitor.

I am using the default Epson profiles on epson premium luster.
Also on Ilford Smooth Pearl with the Ilford-supplied profile.
I have some of the new Harman FB Al, but have only done B&W with the ABW driver.

I've had the 3800 for about 8 months, I'm very comfortable with soft-proofing, printing from Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom.  Michael's camera-to-print videos gave me some of the final tidbits I needed, especially with the soft-proofing.

The only thing I really knew to try was to get some custom profiles made.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

This is a tough one  - I have no clue what the "orange" is like that you are trying to print.  I do know that my 3800 handles orange from things like sunsets and fall leaves better than my 9800 did.

Curious if you've tried a standard test page, such as the lab test page (you can download it from Bill Atkinson's public download folder).  There are some pretty good oranges in that page - just curious if any of them are similar to the color you are trying to achieve.

While I'm a strong believer in custom profiles, when using Epson's own papers and profiles I haven't found the differences to be significant.

I assume you have done a nozzle check.  I had similar print a few years back where my autumn leaves appeared yellow and were missing a slight reddish cast ... sure enough a very slight clog in my magenta caused the problem.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:55:59 pm »

You could start by posting the RGB values that are giving you grief....

Doombrain

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:00:48 am »

Yeah, we'd need the values then we can check to see if the colour is within gamut of the canned ICC.
I'm guessing the satin stock will have problems hitting a high gamut but the epson luster is almost as wide of the PGPP stock.
do you have PM5? maybe you could make some custom profiles at 2880 uni di on the luster
Pages: [1]   Go Up