Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: For Jeff: Corks  (Read 10550 times)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
For Jeff: Corks
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:54 pm »

Jeff, is it advisable to put the cork back on newly opened bottles the same way it came out, or it can be put back inside out without problem? I'm worried because sometimes, and I mean sometimes, I do NOT finish a whole bottle on a single uncork, so what would you do?

Well, in reality I do try to finish every bottle that I uncork  , is just while sitting on the table that I put the cork back to avoid contamination.

Sometimes is difficult to make it fit back the way it was in  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:48:32 pm by mocando »
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:53:55 pm »

Jeff, is it advisable to put the cork back on newly opened bottles the same way it came out, or it can be put back inside out without problem? I'm worried because sometimes, and I mean sometimes, I do NOT finish a whole bottle on a single uncork, so what would you do?

Well, in reality I do try to finish every bottle that I uncork  , is just while sitting on the table that I put the cork back to avoid contamination.

Sometimes is difficult to make it fit back the way it was in 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You pose a seemingly simple question, yet one that is fraut with complexities. Consider some of the possibilities: Suppose Jeff were able to give you an authoritative answer as it applies to, say, California wine consumed in California. The same answer might not apply to an Australian wine drunk in California, or to California wine drunk in Australia, where they grow and bottle wine upside down.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:14 am »

Jeff, is it advisable to put the cork back on newly opened bottles the same way it came out, or it can be put back inside out without problem?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A visit to [a href=\"http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/preservation.aspx?txtsearch=stoppers]International Wine Accessories[/url] will show you there are a variety of methods for preserving opened but as yet unfinished wine...for a quicky overnight, sure, put in the cork (gently but not all the way in) but if the wine has already "opened", it will continue to oxidize. If it's a really good wine and you're serious about saving it, try the Vacu-Vin Preservation System.

Me personally, I don't seem to have a problem finishing the wine...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:28:07 am by Schewe »

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:08:18 am »

Jeez, just finish it, guys. Dump the cork first and then there's no choice!!!

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 07:14:34 am »

I´d be very interrested in someone explaining the technique whereby a cork CAN be put back in inside-out; that must require some cute cork engineering skills, I´d have thought.

Perhaps best to pose these questions some hours AFTER the wine has vanished?

Ciao - Rob C

PS  There already is a wine forum just a few levels below this current thread - let´s not push our host´s patience and generosity too far; or is it just that last bottle, Mocando?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:18:43 am by Rob C »

juicy

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:24:54 am »

I´d be very interrested in someone explaining the technique whereby a cork CAN be put back in inside-out; that must require some cute cork engineering skills, I´d have thought.

Perhaps best to pose these questions some hours AFTER the wine has vanished?

Ciao - Rob C

PS  There already is a wine forum just a few levels below this current thread - let´s not push our host´s patience and generosity too far; or is it just that last bottle, Mocando?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You probably need quite a powerful thumb and  above all a powerful mind to do the inside-out -trick  
Anyway, Vacu-Vin is an excellent solution. They have also vacuum containers suitable for storing coffee beans.

Cheers,
J

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:12 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The words of a true professional!

mbridgers

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:39:20 am »

A visit to International Wine Accessories will show you there are a variety of methods for preserving opened but as yet unfinished wine...for a quicky overnight, sure, put in the cork (gently but not all the way in) but if the wine has already "opened", it will continue to oxidize. If it's a really good wine and you're serious about saving it, try the Vacu-Vin Preservation System.

Need to get one of those for my unfinished bottles of two-buck chuck!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 10:11:03 am »

Elementary, my dear Rob. You just climb into the bottle with the cork, and then push the cork up into the bottle neck from inside.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:59 am »

Elementary, my dear Rob. You just climb into the bottle with the cork, and then push the cork up into the bottle neck from inside.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A risk too far, Eric: don´t you remember about that genie who tried a similar stunt with an oil lamp? Poor devil was trapped inside for eons!

Ciao - Rob C

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:52:41 pm »

PS  There already is a wine forum just a few levels below this current thread - let´s not push our host´s patience and generosity too far; or is it just that last bottle, Mocando?

Oh no, aw contraire. I already asked Mike and Jeff to have a wine forum. I got reply from Jeff and he said he will love to. Besides, is sometimes refreshing to chat about things other than photography.

If Michael doesn't like it, I'll be the first one to stop posting wine related threads. But I think is a theme that have many adepts in the imaging industry
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

mbridgers

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 02:49:57 pm »

Oh no, aw contraire. I already asked Mike and Jeff to have a wine forum. I got reply from Jeff and he said he will love to. Besides, is sometimes refreshing to chat about things other than photography.

If Michael doesn't like it, I'll be the first one to stop posting wine related threads. But I think is a theme that have many adepts in the imaging industry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's a Coffee Corner forum, why not a Wine Cellar?

As long as it is not a Whine cellar...

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:33 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I absolutely agree, but my point was that you had ALREADY started a wine forum in this particular part of the LuLaland. Look below this thread.

Neither have I ever felt that sticking rigidly to topics is much fun - digression often leads to lovely little asides and interesting pastures new. Particularly for me when my spelling goes awol, which I try to hide by prolonged use of the Preview Post device, but that´s a private pleasure which would be an embarrassment to share!

Bottoms up.

Rob C

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 03:34:06 pm »

I absolutely agree, but my point was that you had ALREADY started a wine forum in this particular part of the LuLaland. Look below this thread.

Neither have I ever felt that sticking rigidly to topics is much fun - digression often leads to lovely little asides and interesting pastures new. Particularly for me when my spelling goes awol, which I try to hide by prolonged use of the Preview Post device, but that´s a private pleasure which would be an embarrassment to share!

Bottoms up.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it was not a forum consideration. I don't really know if Michael liked the idea or not. I believe is a cool subject that can lighten our days and help everyone share their passion for grape products  

LuLaland.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You really got me with that one. I'm from Venezuela, you know, and we have Brazil as neighbours. Brazil's president (Jose Lula) has been a major player in the local news lately, that's why I said when I saw your post: "LuLaland?????"... Later I realized you meant LuminousLandscapeland hehehe... I know, I'm slow some times  
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 07:32:23 am »

A visit to International Wine Accessories will show you there are a variety of methods for preserving opened but as yet unfinished wine...for a quicky overnight, sure, put in the cork (gently but not all the way in) but if the wine has already "opened", it will continue to oxidize. If it's a really good wine and you're serious about saving it, try the Vacu-Vin Preservation System.

While some of their conclusions are suspect (to me), Consumer Reports did some double blind testing of the various wine preservation systems about a year ago.  Basically they noted that, over the course of a day or two, that nobody could tell a difference whether you just jammed the cork back in overnight or used some fancy Argon anaerobic preservation system -- both tasted good.  And, for red wine, after a week, both tasted bad.  So really the preservation technique doesn't matter.

White wine preserved much better than red (that is to say, for a lot longer), but the same findings held true -- that the fancy schmancy stuff didn't actually improve longevity.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 08:00:43 am »

While some of their conclusions are suspect (to me), Consumer Reports did some double blind testing of the various wine preservation systems about a year ago.  Basically they noted that, over the course of a day or two, that nobody could tell a difference whether you just jammed the cork back in overnight or used some fancy Argon anaerobic preservation system -- both tasted good.  And, for red wine, after a week, both tasted bad.  So really the preservation technique doesn't matter.

White wine preserved much better than red (that is to say, for a lot longer), but the same findings held true -- that the fancy schmancy stuff didn't actually improve longevity.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which simply proves the point that wine is for the drinking. Hick...uhh..hick!

Rob C

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:54:43 pm »

I've never let the bottle go more than a day or two before finishing it, so sticking the cork back in (whichever end I can get to fit) works just fine for me. And eiswein comes in 375ml bottles, which are much easier to finish off in one sitting anyway...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:55:51 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

Schewe

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 12:59:57 pm »

but the same findings held true -- that the fancy schmancy stuff didn't actually improve longevity.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which is why I said just stuff the cork back in the bottle. But last night my wife had an episode with a nice vintage Port...(which has a different sort of cork that is designed for removal and replacement). The darn top came off. It was bloody hell getting the rest of the cork out because at least with Ports, the cork isn't in tight enough to use a cork puller.

She did eventually get it out (teased it out with a needle nose pliers) and then promptly replaced it with a rubber stopper designed just for that sort of thing. (I had gotten the stopper at [a href=\"http://www.samswine.com/]Sam's Wine[/url]. Which BTW, is just down the street from my studio. It's literally one of the best wine shops in the World (and even Greg Gorman will attest to that).

It's the official PixelGenius wine store that we dropped about $1K at when we formed the company....

And, you know CatOne, if ya got a bottle of Screaming Eagle (that for some reason you can't finish in a sitting) dropping a couple of extra bucks to do a nitrogen storage for a day or so wouldn't seem so extravagant–and it might just help a we bit.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 01:14:12 pm »

While some of their conclusions are suspect (to me), Consumer Reports did some double blind testing of the various wine preservation systems about a year ago.  Basically they noted that, over the course of a day or two, that nobody could tell a difference whether you just jammed the cork back in overnight or used some fancy Argon anaerobic preservation system -- both tasted good.  And, for red wine, after a week, both tasted bad.  So really the preservation technique doesn't matter.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In my experience if it's old bordeaux or similar red it will probabluy not even do an overnight stop. Younger reds will survive longer and some even improve  

If it's good and old you have a moral imperative to invite some friends around to finish it. That's what wine is for - friends  

Mike

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 01:16:19 pm »

That's what wine is for - friends  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I would change that to "good wine" is for "good friends". Acquaintances can drink the cheap stuff.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up