Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R2400: dark prints with ABW mode  (Read 5201 times)

switters

R2400: dark prints with ABW mode
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:52 pm »

I have a 17" Apple Cinema Display that I calibrate regularly using a Gretag MacBeth i1.  I print with an Epson R2400 and color-managed workflow primarily, although I do occasionally use the ABW mode.  Running Tiger, I was very happy with the WYSIWYG results; in other words, my prints very closely matched the colors and luminance of the image onscreen.

Then I upgraded to Leopard last weekend and installed the latest v6.1.2 R2400 driver.  When printing B&W images using my normal color-managed workflow, the luminosity of the prints is a good match for what I see on screen.  However, the tone is much cooler.  

When I make that same print in ABW mode, the tone is very good but the luminosity is a few shades darker than what I see on screen.  In the ABW driver I am selecting neutral color, best photo and "dark" (that is what worked for me in Tiger).  In Lightroom and PS CS3 I use perceptual rendering intent and "managed by printer" for color management.

I know that the results for B&W photos are generally better with ABW mode, but I really prefer to do my color toning with Photoshop and Lightroom rather than the Epson driver.  For this reason I have mostly used a color-managed workflow for making B&W prints, which always worked great in Tiger.   In Leopard, however, I'm getting prints that are significantly cooler than what I see onscreen.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this.  If not, what settings are you using for monitor calibration and in the Epson R2400 driver?

switters

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:51:32 pm »

After reviewing the prints further, it's clear that the color-managed B&W prints have a distinct green/blue cast to them, whereas the ABW prints do not.

switters

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:53 am »

After reviewing the prints further, it's clear that the color-managed B&W prints have a distinct green/blue cast to them, whereas the ABW prints do not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161308\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I have since figured out that the green/blue case I mentioned is due to metamerism caused by the composite grey in the color-managed B&W prints.  Turns out I was viewing the prints in a room primarily illuminated by daylight; when night rolled around and I looked at the same prints in incandescent light, the color cast was gone.

However, that still leaves the issue of ABW prints being significantly darker than what I see on my color- and luminance-calibrated Apple LCD.  Any ideas?  As mentioned, I am using the latest version of Epson driver available for Leopard - 6.1.2 from the European site.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:30 am »

Well, I have since figured out that the green/blue case I mentioned is due to metamerism caused by the composite grey in the color-managed B&W prints.  Turns out I was viewing the prints in a room primarily illuminated by daylight; when night rolled around and I looked at the same prints in incandescent light, the color cast was gone.

However, that still leaves the issue of ABW prints being significantly darker than what I see on my color- and luminance-calibrated Apple LCD.  Any ideas?  As mentioned, I am using the latest version of Epson driver available for Leopard - 6.1.2 from the European site.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At least for Windows, the "advanced black & white mode" defaults to the "darker" setting on its own, and I also found this yielded prints significantly darker than the monitor. I ended up settling on "dark" as about right; each increment seems to be about a half-stop darker or lighter. It's not truly color managed; more like trial and error. Once you have the right setting results are pretty good.

switters

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:49:20 am »

At least for Windows, the "advanced black & white mode" defaults to the "darker" setting on its own, and I also found this yielded prints significantly darker than the monitor. I ended up settling on "dark" as about right; each increment seems to be about a half-stop darker or lighter. It's not truly color managed; more like trial and error. Once you have the right setting results are pretty good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Geoff,

On a Mac ABW also defaults to "darker".  In OS X 10.4 (Tiger), I found that "dark" was more accurate - just as you have in Windows.  However, in OS X 10.5 with the driver I'm using (6.1.2), even "normal" is too dark.  And it seems that the blacks get less saturated the lighter I go - is that your experience?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:03:41 pm »

Geoff,

On a Mac ABW also defaults to "darker".  In OS X 10.4 (Tiger), I found that "dark" was more accurate - just as you have in Windows.  However, in OS X 10.5 with the driver I'm using (6.1.2), even "normal" is too dark.  And it seems that the blacks get less saturated the lighter I go - is that your experience?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. At least with the Windows driver, the darker/dark/normal settings seem to be a simple "gamma" adjustment, so the shadows stayed reasonably dark. I'm mostly going from memory, as I'm not using the 2400 for black & white much anymore. Others on the Mac side may be able to help you more here.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:40:17 pm »

IIRC shouldn't you select No Color Management, rather than Managed by Printer, when using ABW? I'm not sitting in front of my workstation at home, so I can't recall my exact settings, but I think that's right.

Also, for my purposes, I get very nice results when setting ABW to "Light", which is the brightest setting. This works for any of the toned versions, too. I realize that's "wrong" but it works for me.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

switters

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:36:55 pm »

IIRC shouldn't you select No Color Management, rather than Managed by Printer, when using ABW? I'm not sitting in front of my workstation at home, so I can't recall my exact settings, but I think that's right.

Also, for my purposes, I get very nice results when setting ABW to "Light", which is the brightest setting. This works for any of the toned versions, too. I realize that's "wrong" but it works for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's good to know.  I guess I've just been assuming that something is wrong since everyone else talks about using "darkest" to get the best results.  I'll try "light" and see how it comes out.

booksmartstudio

• http://www.booksmartstudio.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 05:00:23 pm »

We get much better results on all of our printers by making a custom profile and printing with full color rather than using the abw mode.  The profiles we make are very accurate.  Give me a call if you need.  1.800.761.6623
Kory Gunnasen
Digital Printing Lab Mana
Pages: [1]   Go Up