Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuba, Havana  (Read 6813 times)

Eugen-Florin

• Eugen-Florin Zamfirescu
Cuba, Havana
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:25:47 pm »

I`ll be in Cuba for two weeks, mostly in Havana. I will have with me a 5D plus 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 lenses. Would you share some of your experiences please.
Locations of beauty and expression are top of my list. Can you advice?  Is it safe ?
Happy Holidays everyone !
and many thanks !

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
Cuba, Havana
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:11 pm »

I`ll be in Cuba for two weeks, mostly in Havana. I will have with me a 5D plus 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 lenses. Would you share some of your experiences please.
Locations of beauty and expression are top of my list. Can you advice?  Is it safe ?
and many thanks !
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was there about 6 years ago and did not feel unsafe. The usual advice for any big city anywhere in the world applies: look after your valuables, pay attention to your surroundings.

As ar as photography in Havanna is concerned I would say that the people are the most interesting subject. Don't just try to interact from behind your viefinder, a smile and a friendly greeting make things easier.

Have fun!

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Cuba, Havana
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:39:12 pm »

I was there about five years ago.  stayed in Old Habana

Be careful taking any photos of Harbors  (it is illegal to do so)
What for thieves  Otherwise I felt very safe and secure there.

A lot of historical buildings in town  otherwise  We went out to the Country.

Vinales     Pinar Del Rio area  (great area).

you can find Cuba images on my web site:
www.inspirationalnature.com

http://www.inspirationalnature.com/html/ga...llery.cfm?gno=6

I am glad I made the trip.

Ken R

Cuba, Havana
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:33:12 am »

Locations of beauty and expression are top of my list. Can you advice?  Is it safe ?
and many thanks !

I have been there twice. I stayed in El Vedado sector of Havana and basically photographed urban scenes and some people. I concentrated on the architecture and the city of Havana and its buildings. Never felt threatened in any way at all and I basically walked everywhere everyday with my gear. I mainly used my 50mm and 24mm lenses.
Taking something light is a real advantage, specially if you plan on going in the warmer months. It gets hot in the city.  A light tripod is necesity for interior shots and night scenes.

brucepercy1

• http://www.thelightandtheland.com
Cuba, Havana
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:44:44 am »

Hi Florin,

I went to Cuba 2 years ago and spent a lot of time in Havanna. It is a very photogenic part, particularly if you are into street photography.

There is always something going on as most people live their lives out on the street - it's a very sociable environment.

I didn't have any trouble, but I did ask locals first before taking photos. Most as obliging, but a few were very firm that they didn't want their picture taken. And I'm an easy going guy so I don't upset anybody.

My photos from the trip can be found here:

Cuba portfolio

In general, because you are mostly in streets with high buildings, you are shaded from the sun - which is ideal for getting soft light.

Enjoy your trip - it's an excellent country!
--
 Best Wishes,  Bruce Percy [url=http:/

Harold Clark

Cuba, Havana
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:05:30 pm »

and many thanks !

I have been to Cuba 10 times, initially on assignments and later on holidays, as I liked it so much. I have only been to Havana once, but was intrigued by the architecture. The people are very sophisticated, cultured and well educated. Anybody working in the tourism industry has university education and speaks five or six languages.

Sanitation and literacy are the highest in the Caribbean to my knowledge. Crime is punished severely, but as in any other destination keep an eye on your things. Violent crime is virtually unheard of. Make sure you take soap, good used clothing, cosmetics etc. to give to people. These things are very scarce in Cuba and much appreciated. If you buy cigars, get them from an approved store. The roadside ones are usually made of leaves etc.

augg

Cuba, Havana
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:29:33 pm »

I've been going to Havana, Cuba for many years. I would say things are much better than they were 10 years ago. You can now buy things you couldn't a short while ago and many Cubans seem better off. As always keep an eye on your gear. Watch out for snatch and grabs and pick pockets in crowded areas. Violent crimes are generally unheard of because you're not going to read about them in gov't owned newspapers and television. It does happen but generally speaking its a very, very safe place. Just use common sense.

I threw up this web site for my friends in Havana - its a great central, inexpensive and safe place to stay in Central Havana: www.taniamiguel.com

dan

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Cuba, Havana
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:37:21 am »

Havana streets offer a wealth of photographic oportunities. people and architecture. Increedibly friendly people who are uber-social as they do not rely on mass media to entertain themselves. Learn a bit of Spanish and your possibilities will increase exponentially.
Pinar Del Rio area is a must, as well.

Alexis Alvarez

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/madame_suzuki
Cuba, Havana
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:57:40 am »

I was in Cuba in November 2006, drove just about the entire length of the country in a bit over two weeks.

It's quite safe, although there are lots of touts.  As others have said, always watch your belongings.  People are incredibly friendly and you'll have no problems taking candids.  On occasion, you might get asked for money, esp by a tout.  It helps if you can speak Spanish -- not everyone speaks English (I'm a native Spanish speaker).

Old Havana is beautiful, but definitely get out into the countryside -- there is so much to shoot there, it's a photographer's dream.  Even in the harshest, noon-day light, you will get amazing photographs.   Among the places we visited that I would consider must-sees:  Trinidad, Baracoa, Vinales, Pinar del Rio, Santiago. Also some small villages whose names I don't recall offhand, but can try to get for you.

If you're driving, be careful.  Some of the roads are pretty bad, esp the farther you get from Havana, and the signage can be TERRIBLE!  A lot of people hitchhike, and it's a great way to meet people, but if you don't know your way around, this might not be such a good idea.

As Harold Clark said, take soap, good used clothing, cosmetics, but also pens and pencils and note pads and small notebooks.  My companion and I took old clothes and just gave them away as we travelled, so we had lots of room for souvenirs.  

Oh, and it's not cheap either.  We rented a car -- both manual and auto transmission are available, but the auto costs an extra US$20+ a day. For food, check out the paladares; the food in "official" restaurants is generally pretty awful.  Also, definitely stay in the "casas particulares" -- decent accomodations with breakfast and lots of Cuban coffee (I was in heaven!); plus you'll get to really connect with people.  All told we spent close to US$80 (per person) a day -- that was for room (around $22 each), food ($20.00 each), gas (expensive!) and car rental/insurance (around $75 daily) -- but not including all the souvenirs we bought: cigars, rum, artwork, etc.  

If you book the Havana hotels in advance (on the Internet), it's about half the price by the way.  We made the mistake of booking our first weekend on the web, but not the last, and ended up paying double the original rate.  Again, I can't remember the name of the hotels in Old Havana, but can dig them up if you like -- worth the splurge

Some basic info at http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuba

If you want any more specific advice, contact me directly.  I've also got pictures, check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/madame_suzuki...57594382323487/

aa
Pages: [1]   Go Up