Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink Shipped to frozen climates  (Read 4232 times)

DarkPenguin

Ink Shipped to frozen climates
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:15:47 pm »

So, say I order a bunch of ink for my B9180.  It gets delivered when I'm not home and sits on my stoop for 8 hours until it reaches a temperature of 4 degrees F.

Is this bad for the ink or do I just need to make sure I let them thaw completely before opening?

ARD

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:33:59 pm »

Found the following info and have attached a data sheet from Epson, hope this helps

Info

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:31:16 pm »

So, say I order a bunch of ink for my B9180.  It gets delivered when I'm not home and sits on my stoop for 8 hours until it reaches a temperature of 4 degrees F.

Is this bad for the ink or do I just need to make sure I let them thaw completely before opening?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suspect that they'll be OK if you let them come up to room temperature gradually and shake them properly before putting them in the printing.  Freezing is definitely outside the storage parameters defined by HP though.

Environmental specifications

Operating humidity:     20 to 80% RH
Storage humidity:        20 to 80% RH

Operating temperature (Fahrenheit):    59 to 95 ° F
Storage temperature (Fahrenheit):    59 to 95 ° F
Regards,
Ron

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:40 pm »

So, say I order a bunch of ink for my B9180.  It gets delivered when I'm not home and sits on my stoop for 8 hours until it reaches a temperature of 4 degrees F.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't be too worried unless you know that the UPS(or any other courrier) that delivers first thing in the morning. Besides, It's not that cold here in Minnesota. Yet.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:45 am »

No, but that was the temp the last time I mail ordered ink in the winter.  And that ink fared poorly.  But it was a pantone replacement cartridge for my epson printer.  I wasn't sure if the ink had been killed by the temp or if the printer just didn't like the ink.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:15:44 pm »

I wondered about this when I had a printer shipped across the continent in winter.  It seemed unhurt, but I could have been lucky.  Is the interior of a semi trailer heated?  I doubt it.

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:59:49 am »

Does anyone have any experience to add to this topic since the last post a couple of years ago?

I ordered some replacement ink cartridges from B&H, and the parcel has been "misplaced" for several weeks now.  Since it's the middle of winter, there's a risk that it may have been subject to freezing temperatures at some point, but there's no way of knowing for sure.  I'm wondering if I should take a chance and accept delivery if the package ever shows up, or should I just refuse it and have it returned to B&H for a refund?

I haven't been able to find out much about the HP Vivera inks and whether or not freezing will damage them, but with HP's stated minimum storage temperature being 59ºF you have to wonder...

framah

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:22 pm »

I just ordered 3 carts of ink for my 9900 from Shades of Paper to up here in Maine and we'll see how it works. I think it is actually colder down there than here. More snow, for sure!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:53:39 pm by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up