Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF8100 Won't Cut Photo Rag 308  (Read 2427 times)

mcmorrison

iPF8100 Won't Cut Photo Rag 308
« on: December 15, 2007, 10:03:46 am »

Hello,

I have had an iPF8100 for a month or so now, and have been very happy with it. However, I find that it won't cut Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308, and wonder if others have had this experience and if this makes sense, given the weight and strength of the paper, or if the Canon cutter is wimpy?

Thanks!

Michael Morrison

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:19 pm »

I can not cut it either, with an iPF9000. Cutter is a bit wimpy. I think the biggest problem is there is to much give between the print head/cutter and the platten. Seem the round cutter starts riding up on the material.

Doyle

David White

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:32:20 am »

I'm not familiar with either of the models mentioned in the above posts but on my ipf5000 it is absolutely necessary to have the ramp in front of the paper exit area up when using the cutter.  Otherwise, the cutter will ride up over the paper or leave a jagged edge when cutting.  I don't know if there is something similar on the larger models without a cassette tray.  Just a thought, maybe not applicable.
David White

mcmorrison

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 05:18:04 pm »

Hello,

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, the cutter on my iPF8100 just rides up and over the paper. I am guessing this is an intentional fail safe to prevent damage when the cutter encounters something too strong to cut.

I also have an iPF5000 and note that the cutter assembly on the 5000 is a separate item, where on the 8100 it is integral to the print head. This is an elegant and compact design, but perhaps implies a wimpier cutter on the 8100? There is no equivalent to the ramp on the 5000.

I have, for the moment, begun to just use "manual" cutting mode and cut the sheet with a razor. It seems to work well enough except for changing the cutting mode back an forth when I use a different paper (that also uses the PMP media setting).

Thanks,

Michael Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up