Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Green parts in picture with alpa/aptus  (Read 13255 times)

yaya

Weird Green parts in picture with alpa/aptus
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 03:40:20 pm »

The green is far to strong on the side to lens cast.  Sync errors are generally magenta and often streaky.
These files show pretty well what happens when you hit the exposure limit of the camera, try pushing the exposure even longer and you will begin to see a bunch of hot pixels as well.  Try a P45 or any of Phase's +series and you wont see the green error.   With the Aptus it will need to be rather cold outside for the CCD to sustain the full 30seconds
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JDG, on the Aptus when you "hit the exposure limit of the camera" it won't save the picture and will produce an error message.

All backs from all makes can suffer from sync errors at various shutter speeds with mechanical cameras and the results can be anything from Magenta/ Green streaks to totally corrupt files.

To "sustain the full 30 seconds" all the Aptus needs is to have the OFF signal happen 30 seconds after the ON signal, regardless of the temperature.

Hot pixels, should they appear, are dealt by LC11

We are all trying to help a photographer here not to sell him a different product....

Thanks, yair

JDG

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:45 pm »

Yair,

My apologies, I mean no offense!!! I only meant it as a suggestion should he have a shoot requiring longer exposures.

I do not dispute that all backs suffer from sync errors, as they are caused by the lens.  I should clarify what I mean by "sustain the full 30 seconds."  I am not saying produce an image, but rather an image that is produced optimally.  When a CCD is "on" or capturing, heat is produced... as heat increases (as it does on long exposures) the signal to noise ratio becomes worse, producing less than optimal images. (hence the reason for the 30 second limit) Therefore the colder the air temperature, the better the performance of the CCD.  

When you say that it wont save the picture and displays an error, is this automatic at a certain time or dependent on image signal to noise?

JDG, on the Aptus when you "hit the exposure limit of the camera" it won't save the picture and will produce an error message.

All backs from all makes can suffer from sync errors at various shutter speeds with mechanical cameras and the results can be anything from Magenta/ Green streaks to totally corrupt files.

To "sustain the full 30 seconds" all the Aptus needs is to have the OFF signal happen 30 seconds after the ON signal, regardless of the temperature.

Hot pixels, should they appear, are dealt by LC11

We are all trying to help a photographer here not to sell him a different product....

Thanks, yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yaya

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 04:46:48 pm »

When you say that it wont save the picture and displays an error, is this automatic at a certain time or dependent on image signal to noise?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After 32 seconds if the back does not receive the OFF signal it'll produce an error message with a long warning beep, regardless of temperature or shooting conditions

Yair

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 01:54:47 am »

I can confirm this statement from Sinar's side.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks, yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

meurten

• http://www.maartennoordijk.nl
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 02:51:04 am »

This looks like something that I have experienced the odd time .. first with a hasselblad V as in this thread...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....71&#entry144671

But then I noticed it later with my rodenstock 35mm (On gottschalt) ... I think it is either a sync problem .. which accounts for most of the mess ups I encounter .. but also maybe me taking the shot again just at the point of the aptus finishing processing a shot ... the problem then persists until I turn the unit off and on again.

Ros
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hai Ros.

I know of that issue, it creates some weird effects :-)
But that's not it, the time between shots was more than enough, as I checked the composition after every shot, but didn't see the green part :-(

Maarten

yaya

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 06:08:54 am »

Hai Ros.

I know of that issue, it creates some weird effects :-)
But that's not it, the time between shots was more than enough, as I checked the composition after every shot, but didn't see the green part :-(

Maarten
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161388\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maarten,

We can go on here on LL for a while, but if you would like to take it forward and have this resolved quickly, I suggest that you contact our support team via leaf.support@creo.com. If you have any issues you should be in touch with Mr. Alex Granat who's the regional manager responsible for your country.

BR

Yair

meurten

• http://www.maartennoordijk.nl
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »

Calumet has had a look at the back and restored the gain file in the backitself  with a guick service.

Hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks for all the reply's ande help,

Maarten

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 08:41:53 am »

Without wanting to prompt any more replies ... I think it's useful to share problems on an open forum like this .. even though the equipment discussed sometimes gets an unfair amount of negative publicity.  For what it's worth, I have found Leaf and Calumet to be extremely good in backup service .. even though I am based in Dublin Ireland, and deal with Calumet in London.  This sometimes doesn't get reflected in these forums so Meurten... good to have the follow up story!

Ros

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:05 am »

Yair, please correct me if I am wrong here.

If the problem was a sync issue between shutter and back (as some including myself believed it to be), resetting the custom gain file will not make it go away.

Maarten, in any case let us know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:31:05 am by Dustbak »

yaya

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 11:19:19 am »

Yair, please correct me if I am wrong here.

If the problem was a sync issue between shutter and back (as some including myself believed it to be), resetting the custom gain file will not make it go away.

Maarten, in any case let us know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray there is so much that I can do remotely without seeing the setup in my own eyes, which is sometimes (I know you think differently) it is usually helpful to have someone on site that can have a deeper look and consult with the factory there and then.

I am sure that if Maarten continues to experience this issue, Wouter at calumet with the support from Israel will be able to resolve it, be it by swapping the back, lens or whatever else is necessary.

Thanks

Yair

pixjohn

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 01:35:43 pm »

I had a similar instance of Green and magenta over the whole image on my Aptus 75. I was on a shoot and freaking out in my head with a relaxed smile. I was 2 hours away from Los Angeles on location, and the Leaf rep at the time offered to drive to the location and give me a loaner back. After taking 1/2 break and reloading the software and a few other small things It just seemed to disappear? I did not really question out of fear it might come back . I never saw it again and hope it stays away. It scary not to have a backup digital back on location but seeing the prices dropping to $15,000 used maybe in a year or two  I will get a backup back.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up