Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration without hardware device?  (Read 9062 times)

Brad Proctor

Monitor Calibration without hardware device?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:10:59 am »

I have a print I got back from my photo lab, and the colors do not match what I have on my monitor.  I thought it actually looked a little better in the print, but it would be nice if I could get them to match.  I'm using the profile supplied by the lab for soft proofing, so I'm guessing the problem is my lack of a calibrated monitor.  I can't afford a hardware calibration device anytime soon (yes, I know they are inexpensive, but I'm broke!), so I've tried QuickGamma, but it didn't seem to help much.  Is there any way I can get my monitor at least a little more calibrated without the hardware? Or is the hardware pretty much the only option?

In the print, the orangeish tint on the rocks is little more saturated, and a little darker.  The sky is also a little darker.

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Proctor

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:01 am »

Don't waste your time softproofing without the first step, a calibrated monitor.  Unless you want to go through many, many trial and error tests of making prints and adjustments - you need a hardware calibrator, period.

What you are doing is trying to shave a few seconds off your lap time and asking if you need to inflate your tires first.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:12:46 pm »

I have a print I got back from my photo lab, and the colors do not match what I have on my monitor.  I thought it actually looked a little better in the print, but it would be nice if I could get them to match.  I'm using the profile supplied by the lab for soft proofing, so I'm guessing the problem is my lack of a calibrated monitor.  I can't afford a hardware calibration device anytime soon (yes, I know they are inexpensive, but I'm broke!), so I've tried QuickGamma, but it didn't seem to help much.  Is there any way I can get my monitor at least a little more calibrated without the hardware? Or is the hardware pretty much the only option?

In the print, the orangeish tint on the rocks is little more saturated, and a little darker.  The sky is also a little darker.

Thanks,
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

QuickGamma is much better than nothing but its still far short of what you need.  You need a calibrated and profiled monitor which is only going to be accomplished with a colorimeter or spectrophotometer and the appropriate software.  

It costs $129 for a Huey Pro (the entry level device) and you'll easily spend that much on wasted prints from a lab over time.
Regards,
Ron

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »

Kaelaria is right.

Before I finally shelled out for a colorimeter, I must have spent two or three times its price in wasted ink and paper making unsatisfactory prints.

However, if you insist on trying to get things a little better without a properly profiled monitor, you might want to try the following just to see how close you can come (No guarantees!!!):

1.   Download a good color printer test file, such as the one from Digital Dog's site (Andrew Rodney): http://www.digitaldog.net/tips/index.shtml

2.   Make the best print of it you can.

3.   Load the file into Photoshop, turn on "soft proofing", and diddle with the monitor controls until one of two things happens ---
          (1) You get the image on your monitor to match the test print well enough, or
          (2) You give up in disgust and borrow the money you need to get a good monitor calibration system.

Good luck!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:48:16 pm »

Saturation issues are primarily influenced by XYZ color transform inaccuracies that might be corrected in QuickGamma by choosing different display brand colorants if available when building the monitor profile. I'm not familiar with QuickGamma but if it gives options of choosing either sRGB, NTSB, Generic Trinitron, etc., you might try those.

I made a chart a while back that shows what these transform inaccuracies can do to selective colors within color managed images where not all colors are affected. All influenced by the colorants selected within eyeball calibrator built profiles.

You might look for another eyeball calibrator or get the Huey.[attachment=4258:attachment]

Brad Proctor

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:21:46 am »

Thanks for all your replies.  Looks like I'll try to avoid making prints before I can afford to get a hardware calibration device.
Brad Proctor

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:04 am »

Thanks for all your replies.  Looks like I'll try to avoid making prints before I can afford to get a hardware calibration device.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or borrow someone's colorimeter and calibrate/profile your monitor while you save for one.  If you're using an LCD the calibration should hold true enough for a few months.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up