Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1ds mk III transfering too slooooow...  (Read 36709 times)

Dansk

Canon 1ds mk III transfering too slooooow...
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »

Thanks Steve for trying this, thats really some good news. Seems about time to get into the windows world, at least via boot camp.

And here comes the question: Do you ever use Capture One? If yes, are the sessions and all the little files written by C1 while shooting using MS Windows readable by C1 on a Mac?
The idea would be to only use C1 Windows for tethering (in my case to a MacbookPro), then when back to the studio work on the sessions on the MacPro.
cheers,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165923\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds promising I'd like to know about this too?

Steve_Niedorf

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:30 am »

I did use C1 in the MacOS with the 1DsmkII.  Since C1 is not compatible with the mkIII yet I have not used it recently. What I’m sure I’ll do is when they get around to updating the program I’ll probably get the Windows version as opposed to the Mac because of the USB issues. I’ve never done any other testing with C1.

For what this may be worth, when I talked to a Phase sales person at Photo Expo he said they were expecting an updated version of the program in April.  Who knows if there is any reality in that statement.

Also I did test the Fusions program that allows the MacOS and WindowsOS to run at the same time.  As I had suspected the performance was not as good as Windows with BootCamp, it was more like the MasOS.

flashfredrikson

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 08:28:49 am »

hi folks,
some good and bad news on this topic.

good:
usb 2.0 is almost twice as fast on a mac running os x 10.5 leopard, apple seems to have removed that handbreak in the usb drivers. I just checked that with copying files on and from an external usb harddisc on my working machine (10.4) and on the new office I-mac running leopard.

bad:
canon eos utility is not yet supporting leopard
capture one pro 3.7.8 is still not available, just read on the phase forums that it is due these days, but the phase guy didn't know if it will support the new canon, some problems with canon sdks (wahtever that is)

conclusion: still waiting, but light at the end of the tunnel

cheers,
martin

Dansk

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 10:51:06 am »

hi folks,

good:
usb 2.0 is almost twice as fast on a mac running os x 10.5 leopard, apple seems to have removed that handbreak in the usb drivers. I just checked that with copying files on and from an external usb harddisc on my working machine (10.4) and on the new office I-mac running leopard.
bad:
capture one pro 3.7.8 is still not available, just read on the phase forums that it is due these days, but the phase guy didn't know if it will support the new canon, some problems with canon sdks (wahtever that is)
cheers,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well thats promising news thanks Martin. It would seem more than ever the heat is on for Capture One to step up and deliver a home run. They are already under fire for the awkward work flow of 4 so when the new Pro4 comes out I sure as heck hope it deals with these issues somewhat gracefully.

Hans_de_Kort

• http://www.hansdekort.nl
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 01:45:16 pm »

hi folks,

good:
bad:
cheers,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not true, see my post on the 7th.
Leopard works with eos-utility

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:38 pm »

FWIW, SDK = Software Development Kit, a set of software libraries and utilities that Canon and other companies provide third parties to access and process their RAW data files, cameras, etc.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 03:39:21 am »

Hi
We just shot about 500 images today in an hour for an important editorial shoot with the 1DsIII into our G5 tower 2.3 gig/3gig ram. We shot tethered ( raw ) with no card in the camera & both of us did not hit the buffer once. This was our first big shoot with the camera & my partner did not notice the camera it performed with out a hitch. I felt like we were shooting with the EOS 1 film camera. The big bonus was that we got shots that we would have missed with MFD. It was the first time I spent more time looking through the camera than spending time at the monitor so to speak. It was a great day with a great camera.
Thanks Denis
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:40:24 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Dansk

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008, 08:13:29 am »

Denis was that with leopard OS?

Jens_Langen

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

Sounds good Denis,
Which software did you use to tether and how quickly did the previews show up on your monitor?

flashfredrikson

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »

more good news:

just got the new MacPro 8x3.2 Ghz running 10.5 leopard, installed eos utility (even though it said it only supports 10.3-10.4) connected the 1ds mkIII with the delievered usb cable and shot to the internal hd.
4sec to write the file to the hd, we're back to the old transfering speeds of the mkII with firewire, which is great, although i hoped for a little more speed.

Now only phase needs to get out 3.7.8 pro for leopard with canon support and everythin is back to normal.
Looking forward to really being able to use that canon now.

cheers,
martin

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 06:21:13 pm »

Denis was that with leopard OS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
OS 4.9 & with EOS Utility. I did not check how long the images were coming up. I am more concerned about hitting a buffer & not being able to shoot. This did not happen which was excellent.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 12:30:51 am »

i was getting 5 sec for  mk3 file to get into my macbookpro dual 2ghz/2 gig ram, 7200 drive, and i wanted to improve the rate, so i just installed leopard. now its 7 secs!

not sure what ive done wrong, but its bloody slow.

pretty much unusable.

im pissed off. i dont know what i can do. i dont want to have to give up on canon, but the files are great, but i have to be able to tether fast.

paul
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:40:47 am by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

billy

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »

i was getting 5 sec for  mk3 file to get into my macbookpro dual 2ghz/2 gig ram, 7200 drive, and i wanted to improve the rate, so i just installed leopard. now its 7 secs!

not sure what ive done wrong, but its bloody slow.

pretty much unusable.

im pissed off. i dont know what i can do. i dont want to have to give up on canon, but the files are great, but i have to be able to tether fast.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172393\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what software are you using? I was hoping to tether to the canon software and then have C1 Pro import the files automatically, is that what you are doing? Is it possible? My other option will be to use the wifi adaptor to send jpgs to the computer and then shoot raws to the card(which will then be imported to C1 Pro ). Right now its actually easier for me to shoot w/ my Phase back/contax combo which used to 'more difficult' than my 1ds mk2, which I sold to get the 1Ds mk3.

paul_jones

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 01:41:53 am »

what software are you using? I was hoping to tether to the canon software and then have C1 Pro import the files automatically, is that what you are doing? Is it possible? My other option will be to use the wifi adaptor to send jpgs to the computer and then shoot raws to the card(which will then be imported to C1 Pro ). Right now its actually easier for me to shoot w/ my Phase back/contax combo which used to 'more difficult' than my 1ds mk2, which I sold to get the 1Ds mk3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi billy,  i am only using the canon software to tether. then use c1 for the rest. c1 still doesnt tether to 1dsmk3s. i also find the h1/p25 better to tether.

since ive installed leopard, everything on the laptop is a little slower. i wonder if its a computer speed thing? i might try leopard on my 2.4 imac and see if that runs faster.

paul
check my new website

rovanpera

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 09:28:36 am »

Hi
I know this might be off topic. USB 3.0 will be coming out next year & it will be 10X faster than USB 2.0. Looking ahead where does this leave fire wire? It seems to be a MAC thing & yes all MFD use FW . If USB 3.0 comes out can the 1DsIII be upgraded with a new USB port??? Looking into the future with this USB 3.0 speed claim plus eSata on drives, I see FW will loose more ground. Maybe now I understand why Canon has dropped FW.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is also FW3200 in the works, using the same cable as fw800...

jamesm

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 07:38:57 am »

Hey guys,

I am a digital operator from Sydney Australia, I advise and assist photographers in all things digital photography. In general when it is possible I always prefer a tethered setup, since some have transfered over to the 1ds mkiii we have been getting very slow transfers on  the macbook pro.

Our current tests reveal the following

Macbook pro + Tiger and Eos Utility - 8 secs (shutter depress in MF to file finished transfer)

Macbook pro + Leopard and Eos Utility - 9 secs

Macbook pro + Leopard under VMware fusion and XP - 3-4 secs

Obviously the system is pretty capable of getting that 3-4 second transfer speed but it sounds like we have to bypass the apple drivers (as a side note apple suck in a big way for degrading usb for their own marketing bs, people that use these as a tool for their jobs are affected pretty heavily).

So to do that, we concidered the expresscard 34 USB adapter but it didn't seem to work for someone in an earlier post. The next step was some kind of FW400 to USB adapter solution but we are having trouble finding  product portable enough to do it and anyone that has had great success with it.

So does anyone have any suggestions or a solution that has worked for them???

p.s. We are using EOS Utility plus Lightroom as our workflow

Deep

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2008, 06:37:04 pm »

Hey guys,

Obviously the system is pretty capable of getting that 3-4 second transfer speed but it sounds like we have to bypass the apple drivers (as a side note apple suck in a big way for degrading usb for their own marketing bs, people that use these as a tool for their jobs are affected pretty heavily).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't help noticing that transferring files via USB to my USB-only iPod video is just as fast as transferring to my firewire external drive, which suggests Apple's built in speed restriction can be overcome.  So, here's a thought - the MacBook Air is USB-only.  Has anyone tried using one of them for tethered shooting?  They also have a weight advantage and have got quite cheap lately.

Don.
Don

flashfredrikson

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 03:25:05 am »

At the moment running Windows via boot camp or fusion seems to be the only solution, even if i hate it. As far as i know there are no hardware solutions available as it all depends on apple's shitty usb drivers. So forget about expresscards and all that. For the moment i just shoot a few frames tethered an then continue shooting to cf cards. Or just don't use canon.

Also see the thread in the mf forums.

paul_jones

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2008, 03:05:49 pm »

i have been shooting tethered with just sending small jpegs to the computer, and writing raw to the cf card. its very fast, under a second transfer and viewing to a macbookpro 2.4.
although the jpeg is small, its still twice the size of the 17inch screen, and you can use it to check focus- not pixel sharp- but ive found thatyou can see the sharpness pretty well.

this is the only way ive found that works with the speed of the mk3. and its worked well with dpp/eos capture for over a dozen shoots with me now.

but canon software is very, very dodgey. crashes often, for ex, ive been doing car rig shots and controlling the camera with the computer with eos capture. but if i use live view, it crashes straight after every time. when you fill a cf card and need to replace it, it crashes.

paul
check my new website

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2008, 10:29:07 pm »

I've used a Dual G4 w/ OS 10.x for the last 7 years as our tethering 'puter in the studio. When shooting with the 1Ds1 & 1Ds2 transfers via firewire were fast and consistent. As noted in this thread, 1Ds3 + USB = dog slow on this kind of system. Last week I bought an iMac 24" with OS 10.5.3 and now USB transfers are just as fast as the firewire transfers. In a shoot today, I'd capture 10 - 20 shots at a burst and the system kept up. No faults, no dropped frames, no unhappy clients.

I'm now wishing for a wireless transfer rate with equal speed.

From what I've gleaned on various internet geek sites, the USB + 10.4 + PowerPC had slow transfers due to a high transfer protocol "overhead".

p.s. I was using EOS utility as the interface software, and opening everything up in DPP. My initial reactions are here.
~ CB
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up