Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya versus Contax 645 Digital  (Read 22097 times)

Khun_K

• http://
Mamiya versus Contax 645 Digital
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:29:42 am »

First off, I'd like to thank everyone on this exceptional forum for their feedback.  This was my first post here, and it warms me a bit to have such a great response from my fellow photographers.

My switch to digital has been a painful one, as I was someone who, well, made a lot of brutally unfair statements about digital and refused to change.  However, after a lot of reading (especially sites like LL), I decided to change.

As I stand today, I am keeping my Contax gear.  However, I'm not going to invest in a Phase (or similar, although Phase is the leader in my mind) at this time.  I'm going to go with a Canon DSLR and learn the digital workflow, since the investment cost is approximately half (new to new acquisition), which I see as a bit more (financially) forgiving until I have re-adapted my skill set to the digital world.

Thanks again everyone. 

Cheers,

-Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have my first 645 soon when it became available and use the same one until today, it must have gone thru close to a hundred thousand shots and still going strong, except I did find the sync speed at 1/125 started to see dark edge so for the shoot I require that speed I will change to my back-up body.  I compare the 645 with the Hasselblad V, no matter who says what, I will rate 645 more durable and reliable than the Hasselblad V as it never fail.  For outdoor, it goes all the way to 1/4000.  The battery use to be more of a concern but with the digital back with its own battery, the battery to serve the camera function can last a long long time.  
I use the handgrip since it requires the regular cell easily available anywhere also when mounted with a L plate, it gives the camera a better balance shooting both horizontally and vertically.
The biggest advantage for me to use Contax 645 is that with the MAM-1 adaptor, it works with every Hasselblad CF, CF-E and FE lenses.  The Contax 645 own lenses are all first class and all reasonally priced.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:20 am »

Hi Andrew,

Get a decent DSLR, a couple of good lenses (like "L" glass) and use a good RAW converter (like Lightroom) and you will be astonished by the results.

Best regards

Erik

First off, I'd like to thank everyone on this exceptional forum for their feedback.  This was my first post here, and it warms me a bit to have such a great response from my fellow photographers.

My switch to digital has been a painful one, as I was someone who, well, made a lot of brutally unfair statements about digital and refused to change.  However, after a lot of reading (especially sites like LL), I decided to change.

As I stand today, I am keeping my Contax gear.  However, I'm not going to invest in a Phase (or similar, although Phase is the leader in my mind) at this time.  I'm going to go with a Canon DSLR and learn the digital workflow, since the investment cost is approximately half (new to new acquisition), which I see as a bit more (financially) forgiving until I have re-adapted my skill set to the digital world.

Thanks again everyone. 

Cheers,

-Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:50 am »

i use the contax with sinar backs and with 35/55/80/140/210 and some hassy lenses and in short words....: i think its a great camera.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

astanley

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11:53 am »

Hi Andrew,

Get a decent DSLR, a couple of good lenses (like "L" glass) and use a good RAW converter (like Lightroom) and you will be astonished by the results.

Best regards

Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Erik - beat me to the punch.  I'm between the 1Ds MK II and III right now.  I have a big trip to Liguria coming up in April, so that weighs on my mind, as I'll be living from a camera pack the whole time.  

Cheers,

-Andrew
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up