Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the "rear button focus" method?  (Read 3601 times)

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
the "rear button focus" method?
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:37:49 pm »

in Rob Galbraith's Mark III autofocus analysis Dec 11 update, he states:

We're died-in-the-wool rear button focus users, and "lock" the focus when needed by releasing the AF-ON button.

could someone please explain this method?

regards,
Gregory
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:26:57 am »

in Rob Galbraith's Mark III autofocus analysis Dec 11 update, he states:

We're died-in-the-wool rear button focus users, and "lock" the focus when needed by releasing the AF-ON button.

could someone please explain this method?

regards,
Gregory
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the 1DMkII frequently for shooting birds in flight, and have found that the placement of the AF onto the "*" button helps tremendously.  I leave it that way in all shooting situations.  

In my camera, it is Custom Function 04: Shutter Button/AE Lock Button," and I have it set at "3: AE/AF, No AE."

With the camera in Continuous AF,  I focus by pressing the "*" button.  If I pan with a bird in flight, the exposure is not set until I press the shutter button.  In some situations, even while the camera is in Continuous AF, you can prefocus on an area with the "*" button, and then let go of the button to maintain that focus.  This also helps while panning when an object like a tree comes up in the viewfinder and there is some risk of the focus locking onto the tree.  Just let go of the button and the bird will still be in focus after you pan past the tree.

As far as I can tell, when the camera is in AF/single shot focus, focus works the same way, but the AE will lock when you half-press the shutter button.  I fequently shoot skyscrapers where the top is in the sun and the lower part in deep shade.  I can keep the exposure at 0 compensation, lock the focus on the part of the building I want sharpest, let go of the "*" button, point the camera (in "evaluative AE mode" to include some of the highlights, half-press the shutter button and recompose, thus having separate control over focus and exposure.

Another of my favorite settings, which you didn't ask about, but I recommend for most people to try:  I use the Center AF point as my default, and have "Custom Function 18: Switch to Registered AF Point" set to "2: Only while pressing "X" button (the too-small button to the left of the "*" button). "  I registered the rightmost AFpoint in the middle row.  That way, if I shoot a portrait, I press the "x" button, and while I hold it down, the focus point is at the top of the frame, making it easier to focus on the eyes without having to recompose.  It also makes it easier in landscape mode to focus on something approximately 1/3 in from the right of the frame, again better than having to recompose.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:29:26 am by walter.sk »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:50:04 am »

Using the rear-button focus separates focusing from exposure. This is similar to using a manual focus camera, where your left hand is focusing while your right index finger shoots photos. Doing these things independently means that you can shoot a photo any time -- instantly -- without waiting for the camera to focus. (This can lead to photos that are out of focus, but it means you get the shot *right now.*)

On the 1-D2 bodies that I use, and on the old Mark I bodies, I use the two thumb buttons, set up slightly differently than walter.sk: I use the main "star" button for AF using all focusing points, then the smaller "point registration" button to use only the center focus point for spot focus. Once you get used to this, it's very easy to focus as you bring the camera up -- shooting becomes very quick.

Not sure how it works on the Mark III bodies. They've changed the buttons, and I haven't had a chance to play with one yet. I hope it's possible to set these buttons up the same way. (Anybody tried?)

--Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:02 am »

The other thing this does is allow the 85L to be manually focused while the selector is on AF (otherwise the focus barrel spins free).  ie you can AF then tweak focus manually if you like or need to.

Mike

macgyver

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:21:16 am »

Not sure how it works on the Mark III bodies. They've changed the buttons, and I haven't had a chance to play with one yet. I hope it's possible to set these buttons up the same way. (Anybody tried?)

--Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I believe so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up