Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Website  (Read 14917 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
New Website
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:34 pm »

That is very strange, the images are less than 150k each, nothing out of the oridinary.  So far everyone else has said it loads 'much faster'.  For me on a regular cable connection it's instant.

Yes, I would rather be safe than sorry on the splash screen.  The first image I picked is still part o the main slideshow, so it will still be seen though.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
New Website
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:28 pm »

It's not a question of playing safe, just ensuring the front page gives an impression of the site's contents that makes the target visitor look inside. Inside, the image works well.

John

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
New Website
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »

I'm an affluent woman (your target market) and I am extremely irritated by the music. So, I may be exception, but have you been advised by an advertising agency that that music will help the 'emotional experience' that you are trying to portray?

I would not use a photographer, or purchase photographs which are unable to create an emotional experience on their own, and rely on subliminal marketing techniques.

For those who are lured by the 'musical emotional experience', may become disenchanted when their precious images hang on their walls without sound.  

I also tried your site again on another computer with Broadband, and it still takes between 7 - 20 seconds to load an image. Perhaps your click-on immediate times is because your images are already in your cache?... or Broadband here is much slower than where you are.

Julie
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:15:28 pm by jule »

kaelaria

New Website
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 06:35:13 pm »

Noticing your location, I would chaulk the longer loading times for you to the fact that you are on the opposite side of the planet, and probably don't have an as optimized path to my server as my target clients.

And no, you are not my target demographic - you are in another country with different tastes!

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
New Website
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »

And no, you are not my target demographic - you are in another country with different tastes!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Duly noted  

Julie

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
New Website
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 09:24:56 am »

I'm an affluent woman (your target market) and I am extremely irritated by the music. So, I may be exception, but have you been advised by an advertising agency that that music will help the 'emotional experience' that you are trying to portray?

I would not use a photographer, or purchase photographs which are unable to create an emotional experience on their own, and rely on subliminal marketing techniques.

For those who are lured by the 'musical emotional experience', may become disenchanted when their precious images hang on their walls without sound. 

I also tried your site again on another computer with Broadband, and it still takes between 7 - 20 seconds to load an image. Perhaps your click-on immediate times is because your images are already in your cache?... or Broadband here is much slower than where you are.

Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your pics are good enough to speak for themselves. Let them do so.  

Music is a thorny subject because in ANY demographic regardless of location (Australia and Florida are very similar in terms of their consumer profiles), you will have people who like or dislike a particular artiste/genre.  In my case, I don't really like what you've chosen.  I think to myself, "If that's his taste in music am I going to get what I want?" Which means you are actually "un-selling" yourself to me - and countless others.

Let the pics work on their own and get shot of the music - your site will load faster.

seamus finn

New Website
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 09:52:16 am »

1. You mentioned the grammer and writing. Just something you should know: there is no such thing as very unique (as in your description of the art of photography). A thing is either unique or it isn't. Just a small pedantic point but it bugs me as a newspaper editor. Neither does the word 'photographer' require a capital P.

2. If your business is weddings, where are the samples?

3. Dump the music.

4. Good luck.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
New Website
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 10:31:23 am »

1. You mentioned the grammer and writing. Just something you should know: there is no such thing as very unique (as in your description of the art of photography). A thing is either unique or it isn't. Just a small pedantic point but it bugs me as a newspaper editor. Neither does the word 'photographer' require a capital P.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good observation, but "grammer"?

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
New Website
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:58 am »

Good observation, but "grammer"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dang, Seamus! And you were doing so well!

jesse.steed@gmail.com

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrobertson/
New Website
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:10 am »

sorry. I couldnt get into it. the music was annoying. and the images had a "hallmark"  feel.

gunnar1

New Website
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 01:11:34 am »

My personal preference on any photography site is for thumbnails. I have broadband, but it isn't lightning fast, so flash sites tend to load too slow (even when they are optimized...). The second reason for thumbnails is that I can choose what to look at rather than being forced to sit through a slideshow that I can't control.

Thumbs/slideshow controls/decent file sizes= Good web site experience for me.

Edit:
One last thing: I'm firmly in the 'no music' camp. The BG site had a nice control for turning off the music, but it only popped up after the initial loading of the site, after fully a minute had already played. That may sound like a nit-pik, but with countless sites to visit, it's tempting to just quickly dump a site that annoys straight away.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:15:20 am by gunnar1 »

kaelaria

New Website
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 01:12:45 am »

Not sure what you looked at, but all the galleries have thumbnails on the bottom, and you don't have to use any slideshow, you can click on any thumbnail.

gunnar1

New Website
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 01:28:01 am »

I never got past the front page, which doesn't have slideshow control. I see now that if I choose individual galleries, the controls are at the bottom. I stand corrected. However, even on my 23" display the thumbs are, at best, 3/8" x 3/8" viewable size.

kaelaria

New Website
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:55 am »

Well, they are called thumbnails, not fists   If they were meant to be viewed as the final work they would be galled 'the pictures' afterall

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
New Website
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 04:22:27 am »

Accessed your web site on my laptop. The pages all loaded quickly and the colours looked fine (many sites never check how they look on lower quality screens). On the first look the music was jangly and a shock to my system, but quickly found the off button. On the second visit there was some quite nice guitar and the the panic to silence  things wasn't there.  Maybe you could look at your choice of music. (no offence   )
I like the combination of colour and black and white images, it made me want to look further into the galleries.
I agree that "very unique' is awkward. Why not try something like "I consider photography such a unique art..."? Or: "I consider the art of photography unique.." (btw, "unique" being an orthographic vowel would not have "an" before it).
I like your site. I found it easy to navigate and a pleasure to look at. The only other annoyance was the transparent bar at the bottom of the page (especially on the home page). I thought it really distracted from the images. Cheers, David

papa v2.0

New Website
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »

hi

i have to agree with jule on her points

Again loads slow - fast broadband although in UK - dump the music

Wedding pics are not very good at all, get some good ones, dont put up average ones just to make up numbers etc a small number of really good ones will speak volumes.

Landscapes not bad  but the one with blue snow!!!!!

Keep trying  - i wouldn't employ you on the strength of your site at the moment unless i was a fat chic!

kaelaria

New Website
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »

LOL fat chic

Thanks for the input
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up