Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brilliant brand Papers at Calumet.. V good  (Read 14130 times)

phildog33

Brilliant brand Papers at Calumet.. V good
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:10:14 pm »

Ive just tried the new Brilliant Museum and Brilliant (standard) papers at Calumet.

REALLY GOOD with the B9180 and icc profiles on the calumet site.

I can recommend these to anyone, as im coming from using Museo Silver Rag, Fine Art Pearl Hahn., and HP Pro Satin-Matte.

Im really happy with these two papers

Brilliant Museum Silver Gloss White
Brilliant Museum Satin Matte White

and the cheap Brilliant Luster is my new contact sheet paper.. replacing the Lumijet Photo Satin White

Phillip

ron ritcher

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:12:16 am »

Phillip--

Thanks for sharing (I'm surprised no one has chimed-in before now;  it's a bummer to toss out info or a question and come up empty!).  I am an occasional printer, so don't have enough experience to have compared many papers, but am always looking for a "standby" -- with all the new types emerging, I may be in for a long wait.  Anyway, with my 3800, the new Harman gloss looks mighty fine, but I've only used a couple sheets (at those prices, I treat it like gold).  If something comes along that's nearly as good, but a better value AND more durable, that's where I might head, even though I've always placed my prints under galss and prefer a matte finish.

Sorry for the long-winded way to my question:  how's the Satin Matte compare with other papers you've used? Is it super-smooth (I actually enjoy a bit of texture), and how do blacks render, again compared to others papers?

I expect Santa to drop me a little Calumet cash, and even though the nearest (SF) store is 160 miles away, I'll be in the neighborhood just before New Years, and would love an excuse to stop in. So, whatever else you can share about the Brilliant line would be most appreciated!

--Ron

POAH

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:55:36 pm »

not quite my findings on my R2400 lol  interesting to hear what other people thought of it though
Free printer profiles, PM me for info

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:18:47 am »

I've been using the Brilliant Museum Gloss White (on an IPF-5K) for group photos (up to 11x14) for a while and have been quite satisfied.   I did not use the canned profiles but created my own.  Calumet usually does a pretty good job, though.    I like the surface, the base color, the weight and the paper in general.  No feed problems on the IPF either.

For larger and more critical work, I tend to use Harman Gloss AL, Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art and Crane Museo Silver Rag.   I tend to match the paper to the subject.   Would I hesitate to use the Brilliant Museum Gloss White or Natural for the right large print?  Probably not, but won't know until I actually do so.

Good luck!

karrphoto

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:53:36 pm »

Rumors are (not really rumors, but I'm saying this because.. well... it sounds good) directly from the mouth of an employee at Calumet, the Brilliant paper is made at the same factory on the same line and the E***n paper.

Tklimek

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:43:46 pm »

Some rumors even imply that they changed the formula one "smidgeon" to keep Epson legal dept. off their backs.....  ;-)

Todd

Rumors are (not really rumors, but I'm saying this because.. well... it sounds good) directly from the mouth of an employee at Calumet, the Brilliant paper is made at the same factory on the same line and the E***n paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Deepsouth

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:12:48 pm »

I have used the Silver Gloss White and the Satin Matte White. The Silver Gloss White is really a lustre paper,. I'm surprised they did not label it that way. I think it is super for portraits. However, I'm sorry to say that the profiles from the Brilliant site for the Canon Pro 9500 are useless...first print was way, way off...wound up using the generic Canon 9500 "IJ 2005" profile packaged with the printer. I tried the Brilliant profile for the Satin Matte, also, no joy.  The Silver Gloss White is now my paper of choice for portraits, which I do very few of, but I am still playing with the other papers in the sample pack.

flashfredrikson

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:56:19 am »

maybe a dumb question... on epsons, are you using matte black or photo black with the calumet museum papers?

thanks,
martin

POAH

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:07 am »

you use PK with the gloss and MK with the matte papers
Free printer profiles, PM me for info

flashfredrikson

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 03:27:16 am »

thanks Poah,
just tried the silver gloss white and the natural both with pk on an epson 2400 and I didn't like the results at all, even after I made some custzom profiles with the eye one... they pics lacked depth and were somewhat low in contrast, so I thought mybe pk was just wrong...
Compared to the ilford, hahnemühle and epson baryt kind a papers, which i tested on the same day with the same photos, the calumet papers just didn't do it at all. hm. got to play around a little bit more maybe.

martin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up