Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wine Forum  (Read 9133 times)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Wine Forum
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:39:54 pm »

Hey Michael and/or Jeff, how about a wine discussion forum?
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Wine Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

Hey Michael and/or Jeff, how about a wine discussion forum?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would be happy to...you can see the kind of fun the Pixel Mafia has with wine in this story: [a href=\"http://photoshopnews.com/feature-stories/a-wine-tasting/]A Wine Tasting[/url]. The problem with Michael is he's hooked on good Australian wine cause he can get it so cheap in Canada (French wine is pretty cheap in Montreal too) but Michael doesn't go in for California or Washington State too much (that's really expensive in Canada).

However, we DO rather enjoy Argentinean and Chilean which is what Seth and I bought in quantity for the two Antarctic trips...

:~)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Wine Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »

I would be happy to...you can see the kind of fun the Pixel Mafia has with wine in this story: A Wine Tasting.
:~)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is EXACTLY the reason I posted this thread. I enjoyed A Wine Tasting so much, I almost burst a gut in the photo of the corks, and your comment: "They where not all from that night. Well, I think they where not from that night. I think they where all from that night".

Just hilarious.

Hmm, some of the Purple Tong images where a bit scary, though.  

BTW, I LOVE chilean wine. Sadly we can't get too much variety down here in Venezuela, but chilean wine is good enough to keep my thirst under control.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 03:48:29 pm by mocando »
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Wine Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:56:44 pm »

I'm rather fond of eiswein, myself. Expensive, but sooooo good, especially the stuff from the Mosel River area...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:58:19 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

blansky

Wine Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:18:38 pm »

I don't want to gloat but I live in Sonoma County and a few miles from Napa County. The weather is great and the wine better.

In the fall the air is filled with the sound of the screams of those billions of little grapes having the juice squeezed our of their little bodies. But you get used to that.

I once had a hockey bet with a guy from Calgary and lost. I sent him two bottles one from Ferrari Carano and one from Merrivale and it cost me a fortune to send it, way more than to buy it. Also I had to go through hell with Canadian customs to get it to him.

Michael

Rob C

Wine Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:06 am »

For once I can gloat: I live in Spain.

Rob C

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Wine Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:37:04 pm »

Oh, greetings from the Dolcetto & Barbera area in Piemont, Italy!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Wine Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 12:58:58 pm »

The problem with Michael is he's hooked on good Australian wine cause he can get it so cheap in Canada (French wine is pretty cheap in Montreal too) but Michael doesn't go in for California or Washington State too much (that's really expensive in Canada).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oh oh! I can already see the vino-peepers taking sides and arguing about whether Aussie or American wines have  the best wide-angle bouquet, or which would be improved by a MLU button, and whether it's better to drink it RAW or let it age a bit into a jpeg. That's a tiff decision!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Wine Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:16:53 pm »

Oh oh! I can already see the vino-peepers taking sides and arguing about whether Aussie or American wines have  the best wide-angle bouquet, or which would be improved by a MLU button, and whether it's better to drink it RAW or let it age a bit into a jpeg. That's a tiff decision!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A few bottles later you'll begin talking like that. Guarantee    And the most amazing thing, it will sound perfectly clear to you  
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

framah

Wine Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 03:21:24 pm »

We have a winery up here called The Sows Ear Winery. That SHOULD have been a hint to me but... NO!!!

I bought a few bottles for a xmas party and that is the first time I had ever seen multiple spit takes!

Funniest thing I've ever seen. Everyone running for the kitchen sink to spit out their wine.

It was big hit fershure!  I framed the label for the host as a momento of the occasion.

Gotta love those mini wineries!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Rob C

Wine Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 05:54:54 am »

I have on display in the kitchen a bottle of wine as follows:

Rioja, bottled by Bodegas Maese Joan, in Alavesa. It is 12,5% Vol.

It is also called, no kidding, I swear - ARSES

A stroke of marketing genius, wouldn´t you say? However, though I have never been tempted to drink any myself, a friend who took a bottle back to Scotland tells me that it turned out to be a cheeky little traveller...

Ciao - Rob C

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Wine Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 07:13:51 am »

Out in Montana there's a microbrewery that produces a dark beer called Pig's Ass. I tried it out of morbid curiousity, and it's actually pretty good. And then there's Moose Drool...

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Wine Forum
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 08:50:56 am »

For once I can gloat: I live in Spain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too . . . I live in South Africa.

Cape Town to be more precise, with the Constantia, Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek, Swartland, Worcester, Breedekloof and Robertson wine regions literally surrounding me!  It's a real challenge!
Regards, HILTON

mahleu

• 500px
Wine Forum
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

Cape Town to be more precise, with the Constantia, Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek, Swartland, Worcester, Breedekloof and Robertson wine regions literally surrounding me!  It's a real challenge!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too, but on the opposite end. Was in Capetown in September though, went round the winelands. Boland Kelder is very nice.

adion

• http://
Wine Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 02:15:18 pm »

Jeff,

i don't even know if we have Washington state wines in Montreal....
And yes, the American wines are a bit expensive compared to ones from Argentina and Chili.

Rob, I must say that i'm realy jealous, i've been to spain 2005 in i must say that i fell in love...with their wines...

Woodcorner

Wine Forum
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 03:39:03 pm »

Living amidst the vineyards of Rhine-Hessia, next to the river Rhine, it is almost a natural subject to photograph - and when the best light for taking images is over, have a glass of Spaetburgunder (Late Burgundy or Pinot Noir), Portugieser or Gruener Silvaner. Then sit down and work on your images...

Certainly in favor of a wine forum (for wines and images of them).

Cheers!  

Andrew

John Camp

Wine Forum
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 05:16:46 pm »

We have a winery up here called The Sows Ear Winery. That SHOULD have been a hint to me but... NO!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A few year's ago, I started buying California wine that had animals in the vineyard name (I bought others as well.) Frog's Leap, Toad Hollow, etc. It's a way of trying stuff that you might otherwise not. And a lot of it is surprisingly good. So I'd try Sow's Ear, just on general principle. Haven't seen anything called Dog Breath, but if I ever do, that's one I might stay away from...

JC

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Wine Forum
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 09:04:59 am »

Cape Town to be more precise, with the Constantia, Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek, Swartland, Worcester, Breedekloof and Robertson wine regions literally surrounding me!  It's a real challenge!

I'm feeling homesick   ! I come from CT too, although I'm now living in Ireland. No wineroutes here   It's a pity, but SA wines are not marketed up here nearly as much as the Aussie and S. American wines. And of course the French (which, let's face it, mostly come from American root stock anyway....).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:13:12 am by mikelouw »

Rob C

Wine Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 11:28:45 am »

I'm feeling homesick   ! I come from CT too, although I'm now living in Ireland. No wineroutes here   It's a pity, but SA wines are not marketed up here nearly as much as the Aussie and S. American wines. And of course the French (which, let's face it, mostly come from American root stock anyway....).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But then, you could argue that the American ones in France are only the children of the same old stock coming back home to replace the older generation after the French disaster... this could become the film v. digital of wines, but suffice to say that a good one is very worth drinking!

I have no great experience of US wines, save a best-forgotten moment in Florida where we ordered a red with a French connection label, only to find that it was a watered down version of a notorious English fruit drink called something like Ribeña , whose correct name escapes me on legal advice.

But then, we have enjoyed some excellent Chinese Chablis in Singapore, so perhaps wine travels better than might be expected!

For those with longer photographic memories: have you still got your copies of Vin Rude, one of the best-illustrated treatises on the noble vine that I have ever owned, photography by the late lamented  David Thorpe?

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:30:09 am by Rob C »

schrodingerscat

Wine Forum
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 12:23:45 am »

But then, you could argue that the American ones in France are only the children of the same old stock coming back home to replace the older generation after the French disaster... this could become the film v. digital of wines, but suffice to say that a good one is very worth drinking!

I have no great experience of US wines, save a best-forgotten moment in Florida where we ordered a red with a French connection label, only to find that it was a watered down version of a notorious English fruit drink called something like Ribeña , whose correct name escapes me on legal advice.

But then, we have enjoyed some excellent Chinese Chablis in Singapore, so perhaps wine travels better than might be expected!

For those with longer photographic memories: have you still got your copies of Vin Rude, one of the best-illustrated treatises on the noble vine that I have ever owned, photography by the late lamented  David Thorpe?

Ciao - Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With good wine, like a good photograph, it's not so much how you got there but the result that matters.

Here in Sacramento, you can stagger in just about any direction and find your way to a good glass. The Gold Country has some of the oldest vines in the state, going back to the 49er days.

And then there's Modesto.

Have had some decent stuff from the Rokko Mountain area near Kobe, Japan.

For another brilliantly illustrated book on wine, there's "The Grapes of Ralph", by Ralph Steadman.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up