Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Death of the Hasselblad V series?  (Read 20727 times)

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
Death of the Hasselblad V series?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 04:12:51 pm »

"And the only digital support Hassel gives to the V series, is a 16Mp back, hardly enough for today's demands on MFDB level photography."

Jessica,

They make backs upto 39MP and a Multishot at that.  I have no idea where you get the 16 thing from.

The reason for no development in the V series seems to be lack of new sales of product and the move to a new platform.  I'm not sure I agree with the approach but there are real world business decisions that needed to be made.  Hasselblad was in real trouble and is now on a much healthier footing once again.

The CF 39 will fit, V series, H1, H2, virtualy anyother make of camera body, viewcamera, Digiflex, pinhole camera (no shutter even), and the list goes on.  Now that is the kind of veristility that the others are short on.  It is an incredible dependable camera and software combination for sure.  I use a 132c day after day and it serves well.  I look forward to the coming upgrade to a CF39.

As to the didicated nature of the H3, it's the direction that they think will best serve the customer and themselves.  Not sure I agree but that's the way that one is going, but it is only part of the line.  Dedicated bodies and backs make some sense for certain types of development on new lenses.  Holding on to the past was no longer an option in Christian's mind from what I have read.  He's a smart guy and saved the company as I understand it.  My hat is off to him and I him the best.

Alex Jones, Digital Tech Pittsburgh

http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:14:16 pm by alexjones »

RobertJ

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 04:49:14 pm »

They make backs upto 39MP and a Multishot at that.  I have no idea where you get the 16 thing from.

She's just talking about the square format, which, unfortunately, happens to be on a smaller chip and limited to 16MP.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:49:47 pm by T-1000 »

alexjones

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 05:29:59 pm »

She's just talking about the square format, which, unfortunately, happens to be on a smaller chip and limited to 16MP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go to a 39 back and crop if you want more than 16 from a square.  Very little is used as a square, so vertical and horizontal should be the main concern.  If you are croping from a square they you are really loosing ground.  My first back was a proback and it was square.  I like squares and would love to see a 49x49 chip, but I doubt it will ever come.  But who knows, a lot of what we call normal now was a pipe dream 5 years ago.

The rest of the post seemed to be troubled by a lack of versitility in some way.

Best Regards,

Alex

BJNY

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 06:54:56 pm »

Don't dismiss the "V" platform.  You'd be surprised how many discerning top editorial/advertising pros (in NYC) prefer the robust camera bodies, and how the Zeiss lenses render.  So what if there's extra cables to deal.

Some of the Zeiss lenses I've used are 20+ years old, but they're SO good it makes me wonder what all the fuss is about with "made for digital" lenses.

Disclaimer:  I can't and don't want to learn how to interpret MTF charts + graphs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:08:42 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

alexjones

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 06:57:49 pm »

Don't dismiss the "V" platform.  You'd be surprised how many discerning top editorial/advertising pros (in NYC) prefer the robust camera bodies, and how the Zeiss lenses render.  So what if there's extra cables to deal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 Agreed.  One cable lens to back in the case of a non electronic body or one never built for the back is not so bad.  There was almost always a flash sync there anyway.  Carry spares and take good care of them.   Always a backup.

a

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:25 pm »

Disclaimer:  I can't and don't want to learn how to interpret MTF charts + graphs.
How dare you?! That's heresy in these parts! You mean you actually shoot and make a living with your cameras?!

I love how this has devolved into the standard Hassy H series sucks thread. Don't you all have anything better to do?

It's a shame that Hassy doesn't mount some sort of competition to the overhyped Hy6. All the engineering exists between the H and V systems. Even though there doesn't appear to be a solution to shooting the V-system without kludgey cables I'm still kicking around the idea of trying it out.

I love the V-system and I always will. I can't say the same about the H series or my Mamiyas. I can't think of another camera that creates the same sort of desire for a large cross section of photographers as the Hassy V's.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:02 pm »

Dear Bob,

With all due respect and without wishing to argue, but in which way is the Hy6 "overhyped"?

it is a camera like any other, launched like any other, announced like any other, creating discussions and debates like any other, like the H series or any other have been doing before. Did you call this "overhyped" then?

If your answer is: "everybody speaks about it, but nobody sees it". Then let me tell you that the Sinar Hy6 delivers actually and since more than a month, in small quantities, agreed, and first to fulfill the orders for demo units from our distributors, but it delivers. There are even and already some customers using it for real jobs.

So I disagree here: the Sinar Hy6 is not more (or not less) overhyped than any other camera or product in its launch phase.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

It's a shame that Hassy doesn't mount some sort of competition to the overhyped Hy6.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

bcroslin

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 07:52:25 pm »

With all due respect and without wishing to argue, but in which way is the Hy6 "overhyped"?

Alright, maybe I'm being a little hard on the Hy6 but the cost of entry for the camera and lenses is ridiculous and IMO I see very little new about it. Given the fact it was announced nearly two years ago and yet as far as I know I couldn't get my hands on one if I was ready to buy today. Same goes for the 90 degree prism.  

I had a chance to play with the Leaf AFi at Photoplus and while it's a very cool new camera it (and Mamiya, Contax, Canon) will never replace the Hassy V system for me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:56:19 pm by bcroslin »

samuel_js

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »

Imagine a black-chromed H2? wouhhh  

Seriously, I think Hasselblad should update the V system . I love the 503CW, it will always remain as a classic camera, but one can't just deny that a 503CW with metering system, autofocus lenses (maybe H lenses) etc... could stop the hyp about the Hy6. Now it's obviously too late but Hasselblad is just allowing it. They have the best camera in history and they are just letting it die. Evolution or die someone said... Could you think of Mercedes stopping making new models?

The only thing I can think of is that they don't have the economics needed to further develop the camera.

thsinar

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 08:51:49 pm »

Just a little bit, Bob!

"overhyped" just seemed a bit of an exaggeration, given the meaning of the word: "Greatly exaggerated publicity / deception and dishonest scheme".
No harm though.

Actually it was announced a little more than 1 year ago, during Photokina 2006, in October.

It has no means and intentions to replace the Hasselblad V. It is a completely other and new camera except for the format 6x6. Actually I owe myself a 500 CM Classic limited edition "50th Anniversary" from 1991, and I won't ever give it away either.

Best regards,
Thierry

Alright, maybe I'm being a little hard on the Hy6 but the cost of entry for the camera and lenses is ridiculous and IMO I see very little new about it. Given the fact it was announced nearly two years ago and yet as far as I know I couldn't get my hands on one if I was ready to buy today. Same goes for the 90 degree prism. 

I had a chance to play with the Leaf AFi at Photoplus and while it's a very cool new camera it (and Mamiya, Contax, Canon) will never replace the Hassy V system for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 08:54:28 pm »

Samuel,

Sorry for jumping in, but same remarks as above for Bob's post: I cannot agree that there is a hype here. Please confer to the meaning of this word.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

... could stop the hyp about the Hy6.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159980\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

bcroslin

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:35 pm »

Thierry,

I think sometimes we forget there's more to photography and perceptions about photography than what goes on in this forum. When I say Hy6 hype I'm judging much of what I know from what I've read in this forum and on the LL site. I'm also seeing things through the lens of the US market so I have no clue what the rest of world thinks. Frankly, I don't have a clue period.

The Hy6 as a concept and product is VERY ambitious and I honestly hope it finds a very successful place in the market. The fact that F+H, Sinar, Leaf etc. are backing a medium format camera system in the current market place is kick ass.

Like I said, I was able to play with an AFi at Photoplus and it seemed to be a killer rig. I know the Hy6 isn't intended to replace the Hassy V but it will be interesting to see what Hasselblad's reaction to the Hy6 is if it has traction in the marketplace.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:23:43 pm by bcroslin »

thsinar

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:41 pm »

oh yes, Bob, in this case we agree!

You're right, I see it with my eyes and what happens worldwide: and there "we" are quite "silent", still, and don't make yet a big noise about it.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

I think sometimes we forget there's more to photography and perceptions about photography than what goes on in this forum. When I say Hy6 hype I'm judging much of what I know from what I've read in this forum and on the LL site.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »

Thierry,
Like I said, I was able to play with an AFi at Photoplus and it seemed to be a killer rig. I know the Hy6 isn't intended to replace the Hassy V but it will be interesting to see what Hasselblad's reaction to the Hy6 is if it has traction in the marketplace.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My perception is indeed that the Hy6 will indeed gather all the people who love the Hassy V-series ergonomics. Add the fact that Hy6 buyers have a chance at getting some decent german-look glass on there instead of those harsh Fuji lenses, and the Hy6 might well have an immediate audience.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:18:46 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 07:04:48 am »

"And the only digital support Hassel gives to the V series, is a 16Mp back, hardly enough for today's demands on MFDB level photography."
Jessica,

They make backs upto 39MP and a Multishot at that.  I have no idea where you get the 16 thing from.
http://alexrjones.com/alexrjones/digitaltech.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From Hasselblad's own website. A little while ago, they advertised, side by side, the H3DII with the 39Mp back, and something along the lines of "but we didn't forget about the V series" announcing a 16Mp back.

Thanks everyone for your input and personal ideas. Yes, I know it's a purelly market decision, and currently, the system I own is a Canon one, which is HIGHTLY proprietary, it's just not a debate you see when talking 35mm. But, my point was simply, since the V system is already an openly adopted one, why not put that to their own advantage? But they have their corporate strategy and only time will prove if it's the correct one. Corporate and business common sense isn't the common men's common sense

Anyway, about square and 45/67, if it's just about resolution and cropping, cameras should go all the way to 67. I know a few Pentax users of 67 cameras who will just love it. I love the square format, mostly for my own personal work. But it yes, sucks, to compose taking cropping into consideration. Either way, I think. Either composing a square inside a rectangle, or composing a rectangle inside a square. I face that when shooting CD covers, and I ask whoever is assisting me, to poke me every 20 seconds, and warn me I have to shoot a square cover, because sometimes I get carried away, and compose to the full screen :| Call it lack of experience, I'll take it  

Still, what make the Hy6 so interesting, was the possibility of being able to still shoot film, in a square format ( for artwork purposes, please, not commercially ), or shoot digital with a 45 back. Instantly, came to mind that Hassel could update the V series into the same level the Hy6 is, with some effort, but without coming from scratch. Because, from anyone who used an "old" MF camera, the feeling of plastic is the most common complaint I hear from anyone using the H cameras. In a sense that, even with a Canon 5D, you don't get that plastic feeling as much as in the H system ( I guess this is made more critical, from the fact anyone will compare with the V system, which is a sturdy metal camera traditional camera , making it feel too much plastic, even if it's not more plastic than most cameras today anyway).

Anyway, I'm still a few years from that kind of investment, but it was very fruitful to see this debate, thank you everyone for all ideas, input and impressions  I always learn something on these discussions ( as long as pixel peeping can be left out for a while...  )  

samuel_js

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 08:17:41 am »

In a sense that, even with a Canon 5D, you don't get that plastic feeling as much as in the H system ( I guess this is made more critical, from the fact anyone will compare with the V system, which is a sturdy metal camera traditional camera , making it feel too much plastic, even if it's not more plastic than most cameras today anyway).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really don't understand that plastic feeling everybody talks about. The Mamiya 645 feels plastic (no mention the lenses), the H series feel like.. different, not like the V series, but not plastic, I'd say impersonal or computerized maybe. Anyway, touching the lenses should fix that "feeling problem"   . I haven't seen a more serious lenses than the HC series.

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 10:15:41 am »

the feeling of plastic is the most common complaint I hear from anyone using the H cameras. In a sense that, even with a Canon 5D, you don't get that plastic feeling as much as in the H system
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is it just me, or do statements like these make you appear like a complete idiot?

robert zimmerman

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 10:43:21 am »

Is it just me, or do statements like these make you appear like a complete idiot?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, it's not just you. That post (JessicaLuchesi,Dec 12 2007, 01:04 PM) is brimming with idiocy.

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 10:54:30 am »

Thank you. Maybe Jessica's fingers are getting over-sensitized to plastic. God only knows what Snook's excuse is. With any luck this thread is dead.

David

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:59 am »

The HC lenses really do take away the plastic feeling you might get from the body, they rival my ZF lenses in feel of build quality. Somehow I believe many people are just repeating others without ever having used a H.

Grr...... today I got into some real issues with the CF & H. Stuff you don't read about on most forums
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:42:59 pm by Dustbak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up