The following is how things can go wrong. Today I was meeting with one of the publishers I work for. The meeting was about last year, how it went, what went well, what went wrong, what can be improved etc..
I also needed to do a portrait of the 'chief publisher' in between because in the colofon everyone was done in 1 style and his picture was different.
Since I have had not one problem whatsoever during the whole year I decided to travel light and just take the H2, CF39 and the 80 with me, together with a mono, reflector and some stands. No backup body, I would normally take either the digiflexII but most of the time the D200. Wishing it never comes out of the bag and sofar it did not. Last week I also just sold the D200 in anticipation of the D300 which will arrive early next week (it should have arrived early this week).
The morning I realized I still had the 384 on the H body so I detached the Ixpress adapter and put it on the CF39.
When I arrived at the publisher, we decided to do the portrait first and then do the evaluation. Everything was setup and I turned on the H and my back booted but gave me a message in the line of , 'need to update the adapter SW, please hookup to external power'. Now I took the CF39 in the first place to not have to bring my laptop, not bring the imagebank or firewire cables. So I could not update the adapter software. Fortunately my publisher also publishes several photography magazines so we were lucky an editor was in the process of doing a D300 review.
Now, the whole year nothing went wrong so I have some slack but it is not over yet...
When I went home I picked up some sets of clothing from another client that needed to be done and on my FTP before tomorrow noon. When I came home, I thought, well lets hookup the CF39 to Flexcolor and have the Ixpress Adapter software updated. Unfortunately this went terribly wrong and I had a body that was acting like a brick. I had to downgrade to 4.7.1, install the combined firmware again, upgrade to 4.8.3 which went wrong again. Downgrade to 4.7.1, install the combined firmware, upgrade to 4.7.3, upgrade to 4.8.3 which went wrong again, downgrade to 4.7.1, install the combined firmware and by that point when I was about 2 hours further down the road I decided to leave it at 4.7.1.
I just finished and have decided not to be cheap and give each back its own Ixpress adapters. Today I learned you should not mix those unless you are prepared to undergo some hardship.