Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 13" wide Ink Jet printer?  (Read 2789 times)

hassiman

Best 13" wide Ink Jet printer?
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:52:54 pm »

Hi!  

While I would really LOVE to get one of the great 17" wide inkjet printers now available I just don't have the $$$ or the room right now.  I will have to settle for one of the smaller models which I believe are all 13" wide...

It would be nice to print 16X20's but it looks like 11X14 will be the max.  Roll feed for Panos would also be nice.

What printer ( Epson/HP/Canon) do you think give me the best results for fine-art printing B&W and Color with thick stock matte papers and archival ink sets?

I have heard that the newer Epsons have less of a problem with head clogging....

Using a mac/Tiger/Leopard and ColorEyes

Any suggestions

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:13:22 pm »

The Epson you'd buy is a 2400. However, if you buy a 2400 and as much ink as comes with the 3800, you'll actually pay more. In other words, you can have the 3800 for free. And it's really not much bigger than a 2400.

I've used Epson photo printers since the late nineties and each one has been my favorite printer. And every time I get a new one, I like it better than the last. I guess you could call me a satisfied epson customer.

I don't really know much about the Canons or HPs.

meyerweb

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:41:27 pm »

I don't know that there's really a "best."  Each has strenghs and weaknesses. But for some good, honest reviews, check out http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ .  Especially the 3 Pigs review of the Canon 9500, Epson 2400, and HP B9180.  You'll find individual reviews of all three on the site, too, as well as reviews of several 13" dye printers.

Also check out the forums there, to get some user reports, and read about the reliability issues some have had with the HP.

I chose the Canon 9500. I can't say if it's the best or not, and it has at least one issue with fine art paper, but it suits by needs and produces stunning images.  Frankly, I think all 3 can produce stunning images, limited more by the photographer than the print.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:53:08 pm »

You can't go wrong with any of the three.  I like my HP B9180 a lot.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:14 pm »

You can't go wrong with any of the three.  I like my HP B9180 a lot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would probably go for the Epson 3800, which will give you a lot more ink to play with and save you money on ink in the long run with the larger carts.  If you can't swing the extra money upfront, then probably the Epson 2400.

--John

drwillie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:30:14 am »

I have no complaints with my HP9180.

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:18:49 am »

I had the same dilemma and as said I went with the 3800 solution, never regretted  
Pages: [1]   Go Up