Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Sharpener for LightJet requires resampling?  (Read 1832 times)

MarcRochkind

PK Sharpener for LightJet requires resampling?
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:27:46 pm »

When I do output sharpening with PKS for inkjet printing, I don't resample as long as the resolution is between 180 and 480, and then pick the closest resolution from the drop-down.

But, for Contone, the PKS instructions are a bit different: "we recommend resampling images to the specific pixel resolution." For my local LightJet (Photo Craft in Boulder, CO), that's 300.

Thus, I have come up with this workflow for the LightJet:

1. Set the image size and pixels/inch (to 300), resampling as necessary. Use Bicubic Smoother to go up, and Bicubic Sharper to go down. For example, for the last image I printed, for my desired image size, pixels/inch was 267, which would have been fine for inkjet, but for the LightJet I resampled UP to 300.

(I hate uprezzing, but in this case it appeared that I had no choice. If I had gone down, the output sharpening would have been at the wrong resolution for the LightJet, and then the LightJet would have uprezzed anyway. Also, in this case, the amount of uprez was extremely small.)

2. Do capture sharpening.

Question: It seems to me that it's better to do the resampling BEFORE capture sharpening. Do I have it backwards?

3. Look at soft proof with printer's profile and make adjustments.

4. Do output sharpening for Contone 300.

Am I on the right track?

--Marc

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »

Marc,

I would do any capture sharpening first, before any edits or resizing except noise reduction. Then apply a little creative sharpening after resizing  and finally add output just before printing. Sometimes the creative sharpening isn't necessary but I have had those that benefited with a little edge sharpening after resizing.

My 2 pence worth.

Rich

jbrembat

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:15:56 pm »

Am I on the right track?
No.

1.   Capture sharpening must be performed at the start, only denoising (if any) is to be performed before.
2.   No difference between contone and inkjet printers. The best thing to do is “resampling to right PPI value”. If you don’t, the driver will do it.
3.   Photoshop bicubic is not  the best algorithm, but better than printer driver.
4.   Output sharpening may be required or not depending on image, interpolation algorithm.,printer technology and personal preference..
5.   If you resample and sharpen  these must be the very last operations, performed on a copy of the image that is specific for that printer.
6.   I don’t like editing based on softproof as softproof is a coarse preview of the print, but if you like it, do it  on the image copy  before resampling and sharpening

Jacopo
Pages: [1]   Go Up