Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP vs Breathing color canvas  (Read 4663 times)

Charles Gast

HP vs Breathing color canvas
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:26 pm »

Sorry if I am repeating a topic from the past but I am wondering if anyone has compared the breathing color chromata white with the HP matte or satin canvas.
I do not have the APS so I found that using the HP hahnemuhle smooth with their profile vastly improved some images over the non-APS profile I did on my machine. I am getting very good results with the BC canvas but I can't help but wonder if the HP matte or satin canvas with the HP canned profile would give even better results.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Charlie

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:23:36 pm »

Did you get breathing color to profile your machine?   If not I would give that a try before any generic profiles.  Just follow the instructions on their website.

Doug

Charles Gast

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:11:50 am »

Did you get breathing color to profile your machine?   If not I would give that a try before any generic profiles.  Just follow the instructions on their website.

Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The HP profiles are not really generic. As I understand it calibrating the media on my 3100 characterizes the individual printer to the profile. The only way Breathing Color could provide what I am looking for would be if they have a z3100 and APS they could profile the media and send me the file after which I would do a calibration on my printer.  At least that is the way I understand it. Could be wrong.

One thing I know for sure is that I profiled and calibrated the HP Fine art smooth on my Non- APS machine and made some prints. I then downloaded the HP profile for that paper, installed it in the printer and ran the calibration. The prints after loading HP's provided profile rendered the prints profiled on my non APS machine suitable only for bird cage liners  
I understand this difference does not apply to all media and that matte media are better profiled with APS.  The Breathing Color Chromata is referred to as matte so that is why I am curious about a better result with APS.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:28:25 am by Charles Gast »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:23:40 am »

Breathing color cannot profile a z3100. It  requires a z3100 with APS to do that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you check the Breathing Color website you'll see that they will create a profile for you.  You just have to print their targets and send it to them.  They have a short video tutorial for doing it.  They tend to cater to Epson printers so call them to see if they have an specific instructions for the Z3100.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:32 am »

If you check the Breathing Color website you'll see that they will create a profile for you.  You just have to print their targets and send it to them.  They have a short video tutorial for doing it.  They tend to cater to Epson printers so call them to see if they have an specific instructions for the Z3100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I edited my post above.
Thanks for the reply!
I'll call them. I am curious to see how it works. If they don't profile on a z3100 then does the calibration I perform still get applied to the profile as the image is rasterized in the application?  I'm cornfused now

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:47:53 am »

I edited my post above.
Thanks for the reply!
I'll call them. I am curious to see how it works. If they don't profile on a z3100 then does the calibration I perform still get applied to the profile as the image is rasterized in the application?  I'm cornfused now
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159657\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As you've already found out, the key to profiling on a Z3100 is to first choose the right paper type.  With any luck Breathing Color can guide you on the right paper type to choose for their canvas and then you should be able to create your own profile on the Z3100.

If they're creating the ICC profile they should instruct you on what paper type to choose and how to print their target.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:49:32 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:14 am »

As you've already found out, the key to profiling on a Z3100 is to first choose the right paper type.  With any luck Breathing Color can guide you on the right paper type to choose for their canvas and then you should be able to create your own profile on the Z3100.

If they're creating the ICC profile they should instruct you on what paper type to choose and how to print their target.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I already profiled it on my printer but that is not the question/problem

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:24:58 am »

I already profiled it on my printer but that is not the question/problem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry.... I thought the question was which paper type to use for the Breathing Color Chromata White canvas:

- HP Collector Satin Canvas
- HP Professional Matte Canvas
- HP Artists Matte Canvas
- non-HP Canvas
Regards,
Ron

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 11:37:54 am »

The HP profiles are not really generic. As I understand it calibrating the media on my 3100 characterizes the individual printer to the profile. The only way Breathing Color could provide what I am looking for would be if they have a z3100 and APS they could profile the media and send me the file after which I would do a calibration on my printer.  At least that is the way I understand it. Could be wrong.

One thing I know for sure is that I profiled and calibrated the HP Fine art smooth on my Non- APS machine and made some prints. I then downloaded the HP profile for that paper, installed it in the printer and ran the calibration. The prints after loading HP's provided profile rendered the prints profiled on my non APS machine suitable only for bird cage liners  
I understand this difference does not apply to all media and that matte media are better profiled with APS.  The Breathing Color Chromata is referred to as matte so that is why I am curious about a better result with APS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Frankly that would defeat the whole purpose of a colour profile and would seem to mean that the z without the APS is not usable with non-HP papers.  I would hope that  is not the case but I don't own an HP.

Normally the printer would be calibrated to a standard (at the factory for epson) and then the color profiles are created to take care of the difference between actual papers and the generic paper types provided with the printer along with the specifics of your printer.     There's nothing magical about the APS and it is creating a profile exactly the same way that breathing color would.  They don't need to have an HP printer to make the profile, only a spectrometer and associated software.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 11:51:20 am by DougMorgan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up