Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5100  (Read 6887 times)

Baruh

• http://
iPF5100
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:31:31 am »

I am thinking of getting an iPF5100 to replace my Epson 4000, tired of wasting ink and time on cogs and air in the lines.

I would appreciate hearing some comments on the 5100 from anyone that owns one. There seems to be a lack of reviews so far on this printer. And yes, I keep track of the iPF Wiki, good work John.

Aaron Thomson

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
iPF5100
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 03:42:43 am »

I am thinking of getting an iPF5100 to replace my Epson 4000, tired of wasting ink and time on cogs and air in the lines.

I would appreciate hearing some comments on the 5100 from anyone that owns one. There seems to be a lack of reviews so far on this printer. And yes, I keep track of the iPF Wiki, good work John.

Aaron Thomson
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159434\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I've just bought one and am happy to provide any answers, but to be honest it is all very new to me so I'm not sure how informative I can be.

Very happy with the dozen prints done so far.

sojournerphoto

iPF5100
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:37:16 am »

Well I've just bought one and am happy to provide any answers, but to be honest it is all very new to me so I'm not sure how informative I can be.

Very happy with the dozen prints done so far.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'very happy with my 5000 and I expect the 5100 is just better:)

Specifically, I can print from roll or sheet, and keep both loaded at once. I don't need to switch blacks and the output is excellent. The interface is fine in my view, although I have had the odd 'gotcha' around defining paper size when using non-standard sizes. Nothing that isn't solveable though.

If you want a 17 inch printer for roll and sheet and want to use both matte and glossy media there isn't really a good alternative. If you move up to 24inch there's the HP or if you give up roll or accept cost of black switching there's epson...

Mike

j_g

iPF5100
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:40:47 pm »

Aaron,

I was in your situation about a month ago. I read the wiki and met with a Canon tech rep in a store where we printed the same images, on the same paper, on both a Canon iPF5100 and on an Epson 4880. I realize that it is dangerous to conclude from a few samples and that factors like color profiles were involved but my conclusions were that 1) the 5100 is a well built printer and 2) the difference between the two printers were minimal: they both have strengths and weaknesses.

I was looking for a sub $2000 printer with roll capacity and the ability to switch between photo and matte black so I purchased the 5100.

After a few weeks of experimentation here are my conclusions. 1) installation was easy (the instructions are adequate); 2) the 5100 has some idiosyncrasies that one needs to get used to like the fact that one has to remember what media type was used to create a particular profile and use the same media type in the PRINT dialogue at print time, but that complexity comes from the fact that this is a very flexible machine with lots of options. 3) the documentation for the 5100 is not great but the wiki is an invaluable resource and the community of users is helpful. 4) the support web site of Canon USA is poorly structured (I do not know about the Canon Canada site) but, as suggested in the wiki, I have learned to go to the Canon Europe site.

I am still experimenting to find out which papers provide the best match for the gamut of the 5100 inks but I can say that I am already quite pleased with the results. The only suggestion I have is that, if you are going to sell prints, consider getting the 6100 instead of the 5100: its is basically the same machine but the sale of the larger prints will quickly repay the difference in the initial investment.

Jean

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
iPF5100
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

I have had my iPF5000 for about a year now and can say that it makes great prints. The learning curve is a little steep, but with the support of John Hollenberg's Wiki, it is painless.

I can't say enough about the iPF Wiki.  It was the determination of a group of like minded individuals who were not happy with Canon's documentation and support that essentially became (unpaid) beta testers for the iPF5000.  This not only got the attention of Canon, but (I believe) was the source for some changes implemented in the iPF5100 as well as the firmware updates.

Updating the software drivers for OSX is another subject that desperately needs attention.

I am very pleased with the prints and after all, this is why we buy the printer.

Jerry Skrocki
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:03:33 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Baruh

• http://
iPF5100
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:50:51 am »

Thanks to all of you! I have done research and know the quality of the iPFx100's prints. I was trying to find any negatives of the new 5100. Looks like I didn't get any real negatives, that's good. I think it was Jean that mentioned I should look at the 6100. I print out a lot of 10x8's and 16x20-24-36's. If I need the occasional larger print I have a friend with an Epson 7800 that prints for me at a great price, though it would be nice to do it myself. In Canada the 6100 is overpriced in my opinion. I can get the 5100 for $2200, not much more than the $1995 B&H charges.
Once again, thanks for the input. If anyone has any other thoughts I would like to read them.

Aaron

John Hollenberg

iPF5100
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:54:27 am »

Thanks to all of you! I have done research and know the quality of the iPFx100's prints. I was trying to find any negatives of the new 5100.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All of the known negatives are listed here:

[a href=\"http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Why+To+Buy]http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Why+To+Buy[/url]

and here:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Considerati...ng+This+Printer

--John

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
iPF5100
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:23 pm »

I went through the same soul searching recently and grudgingly decided to stay with epson for another turn.   It does not appear that the new enlightened Canon support south of the border has in any way spread north.   I can't take weeks of down time and the on-site support in the states does not exist, at least in my neck of the woods.

The prices in Canada are ludicrous -- last friday I saw an ipf 5000 (without roll feeder or any other extras I believe) on clearance (!) for 1799 at lens and shutter.   I thought that was pretty funny and typical.

Doug

booksmartstudio

• http://www.booksmartstudio.com/
iPF5100
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:25:38 pm »

Happy with the 5100 so far, even when compared with the Epson 4880.  We just expanded our generic profile library for the new Canon ipf printers and Epson's for all you new users.  Good luck with your choice.
Kory Gunnasen
Digital Printing Lab Mana
Pages: [1]   Go Up