Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on canvas  (Read 2045 times)

tim hart

Printing on canvas
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:15:38 am »

Hi there,
I am new to the forum, I have been an amature photographer sine i was 12 and now would like to make a move into printing! I am looking to start with a printer that will give me the best results for photo prints. but also somthing that i can use to print on to canvas? I am new to this i know nothing? can i please have advise on a easy to use printer but want the best for performance and quality?
Thank you for your help and please go easy on me.
Kindest regards
Tim Hart

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
Printing on canvas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:26:31 am »

Hi there,
I am new to the forum, I have been an amature photographer sine i was 12 and now would like to make a move into printing! I am looking to start with a printer that will give me the best results for photo prints. but also somthing that i can use to print on to canvas? I am new to this i know nothing? can i please have advise on a easy to use printer but want the best for performance and quality?
Thank you for your help and please go easy on me.
Kindest regards
Tim Hart
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have always used Epson's for canvas. The pro series is designed to handle canvas, have a material setting and ink profiles for canvas that would be your best bet.

2400, 3800, 4880, 7880, 9880. pro series are the machines. It is just a matter of budget.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Printing on canvas
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:27 am »

Keep in mind that when you print on canvas you'll need an inch (or two) to wrap around the stretchers. Therefore, on a 17" printer (the 4000, 4800 or 4880) the biggest print you can make is 15" if you need only 1 inch on each side. That's really not a very big canvas print.

Unless you intend to print a lot of canvas, I'd suggest sending it out. If you're going to print a lot, then get the big Epson, the 9880. That's a BIG printer.

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
Printing on canvas
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:14:55 pm »

I too would say that Epson is the king of canvas and would stress even further that 17 inches is not going to make much of a canvas printer -- 2 inches all around is more realistic, especially if you use the better looking thick stretcher bars giving only a 13 inch print with a 17 inch wide printer.  Consider a gallery wrap on good stretchers and it's up to about 3 inches all around which would give only an 18 inch wide image even with a 24 inch printer.

I would simply take the cost of the printer, favorite canvas,and approximately 1.5ml of ink per foot  versus the cost per foot or inch of an outside printer and figure out how much canvas you'd need to print to pay for the printer.   If nothing else the exercise may get you a better price on having someone else do the printing.

Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up