Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What workspace profile?  (Read 19762 times)

Hendrik

• http://www.hendrik-fotografie.nl
What workspace profile?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 05:15:21 am »

So if I created a monochrome gradient in 8bit RGB with sRGB it would be smooth while the same gradient with ProPhoto would be banded?  This problem would simply go away by switching to 16bit RGB

The steps with 8-bit in ProPhoto RGB are very large, it’s a recipe for creating an image wreck, especially if you try to pull or compress the tones. I never tried to make a gradient in ProPhoto RGB and 8-bit though.   Switching from an 8-bit to 16-bit image will not give you any benefits, but selecting 16-bit in the RAW converter will preserve the 12-bit data from the original RAW file.

Why are we doing 8bit for anything other than web display anyway?

I don’t know, I always use 16-bit. Maybe diskspace?  

bjanes

What workspace profile?
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 02:28:59 pm »

Raw has no color space. And it doesn't matter what you set your camera to (you're shooting Raw).

In a modern Raw workflow, I don't see the need for Adobe RGB (1998) at all. I encode in ProPhoto since its the widest color space I have available in my converter, this converter is using the ProPhoto primaries anyway after the Raw goes through its demosaicing, and lots of images and some output devices exceed Adobe RGB (1998). So, its Raw in, ProPhoto RGB in 16-bit out.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here we go again:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21046&view=findpost&p=154947]Camera Color Space[/url]

woffles

What workspace profile?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 02:38:15 am »

Here we go again:

Camera Color Space
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just trying to read some of that was painful.  So basically, RAW doesn't have a "standard" assigned color space, a camera has a native color space which consists of the gamut or range of colors that it can capture, if you even call them colors.  But, then,  greyscale or black and white are colors!  My only question is, is that gamut larger then Adobe RGB then?  I'm assuming it is otherwise ProPhoto would be kind of useless in LR, wouldn't it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
What workspace profile?
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:23 am »

My only question is, is that gamut larger then Adobe RGB then?  I'm assuming it is otherwise ProPhoto would be kind of useless in LR, wouldn't it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's the scene gamut as well as the capture device "gamut" (quotes because digital cameras don't have a color gamut).

Bottom line is, you can shoot all kinds of scenes of wide gamut that exceed Adobe RGB (1998) and if you use that as an encoding color space from your Raw converter, you're not realizing (using) all the colors at the scene or that the capture device was capable of capturing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john545

What workspace profile?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 02:25:28 pm »

Raw has no color space. And it doesn't matter what you set your camera to (you're shooting Raw).

In a modern Raw workflow, I don't see the need for Adobe RGB (1998) at all. I encode in ProPhoto since its the widest color space I have available in my converter, this converter is using the ProPhoto primaries anyway after the Raw goes through its demosaicing, and lots of images and some output devices exceed Adobe RGB (1998). So, its Raw in, ProPhoto RGB in 16-bit out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I'm new to color management, so apologies if my questions or assumptions might appear ignorant, as that is exactly what they are.  

Given that I am at the beginning of my 'color management research', I have many questions, but in the spirit of not wearing out my welcome, I'll limit myself to just a few. I use Lightroom and CS2. I have attempted to calibrate my monitor with i1D2 (with mixed results...automatic doesn't seem to be that much different that my original display, manual with ambient light calibration makes the display much, much lighter, and I have to have a flourescent lamp partially shining on the monitor to get an ambient reading within the suggested range...I've returned to the Auto profile):

1) When is a color space assigned to  an image?
       a] When the RAW file is imported into LR?
       b] When one 'edits a copy' in CS2?
       c] When the edited file is exported?

2) Where can I find a *simple* explanation on how to implement color management?

My initial confusion is based on how to assign the color spaces and profiles. I have a profile for my monitor, CS2 has several working spaces that I can choose from, from what I've read here, LR automatically uses Pro Photo. That's not counting the printing profile issues.

I'm confused on how to implement all of this so that I can get back to dealing with the images and start printing and have some assurance that my images will look reasonably OK on other displays. I'm not sure that I can gain a thourough understanding of all of this right now, but just to know how to set the color spaces and profiles up in the different apps and weather I would need to export my final version to whatever colorspace.

Also, can an image edited and assigned one color space be assigned another and be the same as if the changed color space was originally implemented?

Again, my apologies if this post is somewhat convoluted, as I'm pressed for time right now (as usual). Any guidance that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

John545

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
What workspace profile?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:27 pm »

1) When is a color space assigned to  an image?
       a] When the RAW file is imported into LR?
       b] When one 'edits a copy' in CS2?
       c] When the edited file is exported?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You would be better served starting a new thread asking these questions rather than piling it on this one.

In answer to #1, if raw, no color space is assigned until the image is processed into something other than the preview on screen. The preview on screen _IS_ processed by the Camera Raw pipeline based upon the raw rendering + parameter settings but it's not "baked" until you actually process.

If the original is not raw, then whatever embedded profile is in the file is assumed. If no profile is embedded, sRGB is assumed by Lightroom & Camera Raw.

As to what color space _WILL_ be in the image after processing, that depends on the selected color space in CR/LR. But Lightroom only has the three choices, sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB.

john545

What workspace profile?
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 03:26:49 pm »

You would be better served starting a new thread asking these questions rather than piling it on this one.

In answer to #1, if raw, no color space is assigned until the image is processed into something other than the preview on screen. The preview on screen _IS_ processed by the Camera Raw pipeline based upon the raw rendering + parameter settings but it's not "baked" until you actually process.

If the original is not raw, then whatever embedded profile is in the file is assumed. If no profile is embedded, sRGB is assumed by Lightroom & Camera Raw.

As to what color space _WILL_ be in the image after processing, that depends on the selected color space in CR/LR. But Lightroom only has the three choices, sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, and thanks for the response to my quesitons. Your comment regarding the new thread is well taken.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up