Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating My File Structure in Lightroom  (Read 2061 times)

pollardd

Updating My File Structure in Lightroom
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:34:49 pm »

It’s time for me to rename and reorganize the folders on my hard drive (I’m using a PC) to something that makes more sense (long overdue).  If only working in Photoshop this would not be a problem - simply set up the new structure then move and rename files as required.  

In learning Lightroom, however, I have developed several images based on my outdated file structure.  My problem then is how to update Lightroom to reflect the new file structure while retaining the settings for those photos already developed.

I may be missing something quite simple but so far it seems to be complicated and to require multiple steps.  For example, can I create a new folder in Lightroom called, for example, “2007”; then move images already in Lightroom from a different folder to “2007”; then rename these images in accordance with the new file structure; and then import new photos to “2007” without losing the images already in the folder?  So far I haven’t figured out how to either create, or import, an empty folder.  Alternately, can I create a new catalog based on the new file structure in My Pictures, and then somehow copy the settings I wish to keep from the photos from the original catalog?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  If this has already been discussed, please accept my apologies and simply point me in the right direction.

David

mhayes5254

Updating My File Structure in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:27:56 pm »

It’s time for me to rename and reorganize the folders.....[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can simply rename the existing folders and drag the folders within Lightroom.  This will rename and move the folders in the disk structure as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up