Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII  (Read 18146 times)

Snook

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 10:25:02 am »

You are right, but the 33 and 39MP sensors are several times as expensive as the 22MP backs. A 22MP back and a 1ds3 are much closer in price, therefore the comparision makes sense and all those who have been waiting for an affordable MF back will also have a look at the 1ds3, scecially if they have Canon glass.

The question is also whether more resolution than 22MP is necessary or makes sense to someone. 22MP (or 21) will get you very far, but as several people have said already, the real important difference is not one of detail resolution.

regards, Bernie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can someone correct me if I read wrong..?
I see that the 1DsMIII comes with USB 2.0 on lt..
No firewire..
This must be a Typo?
CAn someone verify it and let us know how they are shooting tethered and how it works shooting tethered..
One step forward and 2 steps back??
Cannot be
Snook

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 11:27:27 am »

Can someone correct me if I read wrong..?
I see that the 1DsMIII comes with USB 2.0 on lt..
No firewire..
This must be a Typo?
CAn someone verify it and let us know how they are shooting tethered and how it works shooting tethered..
One step forward and 2 steps back??
Cannot be
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Snook
Yes it is USB 2.0
This is post reply comment on this subject about 3 months ago on this form. This is a copy

(Aug 21 2007, 08:56 AM
QUOTE(Mark_Tucker @ Aug 21 2007, 08:35 AM)
I love the human brain's uncanny ability to justify bad design.

Doesn't it just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling to insert that FW cable, and you feel the entire FW port move up and down vertically, due to the constant downward pressure

As I said elsewhere, the USB on the 5D has proven to be VASTLY more reliable than the lame firewire in the 1Ds2/1D2 cameras in my studio. I have had to send the 1Ds2/1D2 cameras back for firewire port repair many, many times in the past few couple years.
The 5D's USB ports have been rock solid and plenty fast (I have 3 bodies which get daily tethered use) -- although they still need to be gaffered to the vertical grip so the cable does not come out...
Therefore I much prefer the USB option. Especially because in practice, the USB does not seem slower than Canon's firewire...

I.M.O.
-ron )
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 11:31:58 am »

And for what it's worth, the 1Ds had a full size FW port whereas the 1Ds2 has the stupid mini FW jack.  As for bandwidth Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 are the same.

Snook

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 12:51:53 pm »

And for what it's worth, the 1Ds had a full size FW port whereas the 1Ds2 has the stupid mini FW jack.  As for bandwidth Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 are the same.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeh But Firewire to Firewire 800 is not the same.. Sorry.
I recently took some advice from a friend and got a 1DsMII to Fire wire 800 cable. Best thing I could have done. Had no more tethered shooting problems since and the pictures load in way faster!
Sorry but I DO like firewire and find it faster than USB by far. And I have had far less problems firewire connections than with USB.
Firewire is faster and I use firewire for ALL my drives also. Not USB.
In any case they should have had both options..
And are you comparing firewire and USB on a PC or a Mac? On a Mac firewire is Faster.
Snook

BJL

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 02:58:22 pm »

A 22MP back and a 1ds3 are much closer in price, therefore the comparision makes sense ...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I totally agree that this is a very relevant and useful comparison, especially with Mamiya offering the 22MP "645ZD" package at a price not far from that of the 1DsMkIII. I was only saying that I do not see a need for DMF to go to 50MP and "FF" just to stay ahead of 24x36mm format DSLRs.

DMF probably has other reasons to keep improving its sensors though. I recall Kodak hinting to Michael at going to something like 60MP in its next generation of MF sensors, which sounds like using the 5.4 micron pixel spacing of [a href=\"http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/SENSORS/name/KAF-8300_product]Kodak's 8MP KAF-8300 sensor[/url] in Kodak's 49x36.8mm format.

Natasa Stojsic

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:03 pm »

Leaf Aputs 22MP back and a 1ds3 are much closer in price

regards, Bernie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\']Can somebody confirm the price difference and availability? I thought the price of the A22 is around is $17,995 which is well over two Canon's 1Ds MkIII[/span]  

In case Bernie's comment is accurate, I will gladly skip 1Ds MkIII and buy A22.

Perhaps Steve Hendrix and others can confirm the price difference!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:35:50 pm by Natasa Stojsic »
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

Snook

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »

[span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\']Can somebody confirm the price difference and availability? I thought the price of the A22 is around is $17,995 which is well over two Canon's 1Ds MkIII[/span]  

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can get a used or refurbished one for Much less than what quoted. Not for the price of a Canon 1DsMIII.
However I think I just saw the other day an Aptus 22 for around 8,000 on ebay?
Check around you can find stuff for cheaper and now that the 1DsMIII is out many might want to change. Not sure 100% why but there will be.. Maybe some wedding Guys?
Snook

alba63

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 04:03:37 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was referring to availability (very limited, it seems) here in Germany, Aptus 22 refurbished for slightly above 10k at Calumet, new for 14k - the 1ds3 is roughly 7k.
So, not close really, as you have to add the price for the camera really, but much closer than the lates 39MP generation of backs, which is above 20k.

Sorry if I gave the impression the Aptus 22 is as low as the 1ds3.

But the tasks a photogapher wants or needs to use his camera for may nevertheless make him choose the 1ds3. In studio maybe not, but if portability and flexibility is required... Battery life alone of the latest Canons and Nikons top DSLRs is amazing, they seem to give roughly 2000 shots per battery.

regards
Bernie

alba63

Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 04:49:51 pm »

I'd like to know who is selling new 1DsIII cameras for $7K. $8K is the price in the US and on ebay I have seen them go as high as $10.5K

John, as I said, this is "here in Germany", so of course currency is Euro. Comparing prices between Europe/ Germany and the US has not always been easy, in the past prices were always much higher than in the US, only recently with the strong Euro they adapted prices most of the time, sometimes it is still as much in Euro as it is in Dollars in the US.
So again, 1ds3 is announced roughly 7k Euro here in Germany (hardly anyone has it yet).

Nevertheless what you say is true, sometimes the value of an item is falling during the time you wait for it being shipped to your house. This has happened to me recently. It's a question then of negociating with the dealer.

regards, Bernhard

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Leaf Aptus 22 / 1DsIII
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 06:37:24 pm »

Robert's Imaging for $7299.  There's a waiting list.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up