Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset  (Read 13524 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 05:33:58 pm »

The sunset pix were in Hawaii this past September.  The mountain pix with in Banff, Lake Loraine I think.  If you like landscapes, GO TO BANFF!!!!  Awesome location to shoot because there are views everywhere and not much hiking needed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John,
Very nice shots!  I agree with you that DR, color, and anti-blooming are more important than number of pixels.
Eric
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:35:01 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 06:47:08 pm »

I feel that at iso 50 the ZD has a slight edge. Since I own both cameras the Canon viewfinder smokes the ZD camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Denis,

Much thanks for making the comparison, very interesting. Please let us hear and see more.

Canon viewfinder, would you please give more details?

Regards
Anders

Graham Mitchell

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 08:51:49 pm »

John, some nice shots there but the DR doesn't appear to be great. The image of the snowy mountain for example seem to contain both over and under-exposed areas.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 12:36:59 am »

Hi
Here goes round 2.Links are below:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...E035A932B993C39
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...47E81FE5A03791E
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...E5126D62B70283D
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...427115175BAE2B3

This time the Canon was shot at iso 100 hand held on P mode.The ZD was shot at iso 50 hand held on P mode. I will try the 85 mm on the Canon this week. But for now this is my decision lens wise. The 70-200 4.0 IS lens is a beauty.
From what I see there isn't much in it between these two cameras file quality wise. The Canon view finder appears to be 50% larger than the ZD. Also it is at least a stop brighter & very clear compared to the ZD. I will still use the ZD camera & I am very happy with the shots I have created with the ZD since March 1996. I am blown away with what Canon has done with this camera, this has been a big surprise for me! I used to shoot with my Canon EOS 1 most of the time when I shot film. Now this Canon 1DsMKIII will be a big part in our future photography assignments. I think this camera will do damage to the MF market especially in the 22 mp sector. Believe me I love using the ZD & Aptus 22 but this new Canon has really surprised me!!! Please note these samples are only for tests.
Thanks Denis
ps sorry I posted this on the Leaf/ Canon thread

--------------------
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell
www.montalbetticampbell.com
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:38:25 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 01:20:48 am »

John, some nice shots there but the DR doesn't appear to be great. The image of the snowy mountain for example seem to contain both over and under-exposed areas.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Graham, I didn't say the DR range in those images was that large, but it was more than the 1Ds2 could handle --- if you wanted to see detail in cliffs/mountain sides.  Those images are heavily processed to bring out the shadow detail, anymore and it would look too artificial and/or the files would begin to fall apart.

The best Canon can say about the 1Ds3 DR is "same or similar", which really means "the same or less".  If the DR was improved then any company in their right mind would point out the improvement.  With 14 bits maybe the 1Ds3 shadow areas can be pushed further during post processing, but the underlying dynamic range is still the "same or similar" to the 1Ds2.  Compared to the original 1Ds, I think the 1Ds2 picked up about 1 stop of DR and the 1Ds2's fidelity as the channels began to clip was much improved too.  Had Canon achieved the same amount improvement from the 1Ds2 to 1Ds3, then I would probably buy a 1Ds3.

Ask me after 12 months with P25, maybe I'll have a different opinion then

Marlyn

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 05:03:01 pm »

Pretty sure thats Lake Louise, Bannf National Park, and shooting location looks to be just in front of the Lodge, right on the foreshore.   The 'snow' up top, is actually a Glacier.

Been there in Winter, that lake gets 2m-4m thick ice.   Want to go back in summer, and that shot just reminded me why !.

Regards

Mark Farnan.

Sean H

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:42:43 pm »

I am blown away with what Canon has done with this camera, this has been a big surprise for me! I used to shoot with my Canon EOS 1 most of the time when I shot film. Now this Canon 1DsMKIII will be a big part in our future photography assignments.

Denis,

which type of assignments would you now use the Mk III for?

And, for which type of assignments do you think it would not be suitable?

Thanks,

Sean
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:43:39 pm by Sean H »

mcfoto

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 02:36:56 am »

Denis,

which type of assignments would you now use the Mk III for?

And, for which type of assignments do you think it would not be suitable?

Thanks,

Sean
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I will use it for editorial & print advertising.
I will have to do a portrait with the Canon. What will be nice is the speed compared to MFD. The Aptus 22 & ZD are 1.2 fs which is good to work with.I find any slower than that & I go nuts! I have used the Aptus 65 & find that too slow & I know they now have the 65s which is much faster. When I look at the specs of all the digital backs for how we shoot I would only shoot with the Aptus or some of the Sinar backs. What will be nice is working with this new Canon because I used to shoot a lot with the EOS film cameras.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Snook

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 06:16:30 am »

Hi
I will use it for editorial & print advertising.
I will have to do a portrait with the Canon. What will be nice is the speed compared to MFD. The Aptus 22 & ZD are 1.2 fs which is good to work with.I find any slower than that & I go nuts! I have used the Aptus 65 & find that too slow & I know they now have the 65s which is much faster. When I look at the specs of all the digital backs for how we shoot I would only shoot with the Aptus or some of the Sinar backs. What will be nice is working with this new Canon because I used to shoot a lot with the EOS film cameras.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Glad your all excited about the 1DsMIII but you should have gotten a 1DsMII a long time ago and you could have enjoyed all that excitement a long time ago. They are not Much different..
Just a little bit bigger file than the 1DsMII and the DR is not much better. Actually a lot of people reporting that the Anti alias filter is much stronger on the 1DsMIII.. Which is not good in my opinion.
mcfoto I find it really hard to believe you have soo much excitement over the 1DsMIII, Like it is some new Platform..
You should have tried a Canon several years ago ..
I for one do not like it at all.. And Have recently gone the other way. Going MF.
Funny how things work out..:+}
Enjoy your new toy
Snook

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 05:09:04 pm »

I've always been impressed by the ability to recover "blown" highlights with the ZD - masses of headroom.  How is the 1Ds III in comparison, Denis?

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

mcfoto

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 09:14:37 pm »

I've always been impressed by the ability to recover "blown" highlights with the ZD - masses of headroom.  How is the 1Ds III in comparison, Denis?

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi down load the raw files & do a comparison. They are good till Saturday Dec 15th.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

ZD vrs 1DsMKIII tset
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 08:33:32 am »

These are very, very helpful Dennis. Thanks a lot!
Do you see that the ZD has an advantage in terms of D.R.? (these samples do not seem to test that area of performance.)

-thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up