Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 4.3 vs. Lightroom 1.3  (Read 9775 times)

seamus finn

ACR 4.3 vs. Lightroom 1.3
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 05:29:08 am »

Schewe: 'Camera Raw and Lightroom both have multiple Undo...control Z (Win) and command z (Mac) only toggle between the current and former state but control/Alt z (Win) and command/option Z (Mac) provide essentially, unlimited Undo. control/shift Z (Win) and command/shift z Mac) allow for redo.'

Best tip of the week. Thanks for that.

picnic

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 09:52:21 am »

Thanks all for your suggestions.  Guybat and picnic, the "RESET" button in the lower right appears to reset all sliders to the positions automatically selected by Lightroom upon importing an image.

Bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159820\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but rarely do I want to reset--that's why knowing that a keystroke will take one back in history in ACR--same in LR though I prefer using the history palette to know exactly where I was.  I use both--but more often LR since I upload, edit there to begin with.

Another option you might like in LR is the 'before/after' in the develop module--shown by the Y/Y at the bottom.
Diane

Blendenteufel

• http://www.blendenteufel.de
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 03:26:55 am »

Please allow me to use that thread to ask two questions re/ Lightroom:

1. Do I have another attempt at the trial version of LR after the recent update ? (Background: I have used the trial with LR 1.0 and found it way too slow on my 2.8Gh Pentium with 2 GB RAM, XP Pro for use with my Canon 5D raw files - but the recent update was supposed to fix these issues, so I would like to try again before I spend the money).

2. If I use LR (latest version) I get the control of ACR 4.x, but because I only have PS CS2 and dont intend to upgrade to CS3, what controls can I use to open the images in CS2 ? My guess is that to utilize the ACR 4.x function I would have to open the file in LR and save a converted .tif/.psd file, which then in turned could be openend by CS 2... but that would be a detour that I'd love to avoid. Any chance to install the ACR 4.3 module for use in CS2 ?

Thanks for enlighting me, even a short answer will be appreciated :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.cathaycameraclub.com
Regards,
 Michael.  [url=http://www.catha

picnic

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 09:15:25 am »

Please allow me to use that thread to ask two questions re/ Lightroom:

1. Do I have another attempt at the trial version of LR after the recent update ? (Background: I have used the trial with LR 1.0 and found it way too slow on my 2.8Gh Pentium with 2 GB RAM, XP Pro for use with my Canon 5D raw files - but the recent update was supposed to fix these issues, so I would like to try again before I spend the money).

2. If I use LR (latest version) I get the control of ACR 4.x, but because I only have PS CS2 and dont intend to upgrade to CS3, what controls can I use to open the images in CS2 ? My guess is that to utilize the ACR 4.x function I would have to open the file in LR and save a converted .tif/.psd file, which then in turned could be openend by CS 2... but that would be a detour that I'd love to avoid. Any chance to install the ACR 4.3 module for use in CS2 ?

Thanks for enlighting me, even a short answer will be appreciated :-)
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.cathaycameraclub.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the way it works regardless--except that you don't actually have to 'save' a file---LR does this for you--and you can use CS2 as your editing app as easily as CS3.  You right click over the file you want to open in PS and choose 'edit in Photoshop.exe' where you have chosen PSCS2 as your external editor in preferences OR use ctrl-alt-E.  The file will be saved as a tiff or psd (you have the option to choose in your dialog box as well as other options like color space, bit depth), PSCS2 will open and the file be opened there automatically.  When you are done processing in CS2---you simply use 'save as' and the processed file will be saved (overriding the tiff/psd LR already set up) with layers, etc.  You can choose to have it 'stacked' with the original RAW.

Ah, forgot to answer your other question.  No, you can't install ACR 4.3.1 in PSCS2 but you can use the dng converter from RAW and open the dng in PSCS2.

Diane
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:16:43 am by picnic »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up