Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock and Schneider digital lenses  (Read 13174 times)

jing q

• we are super
Rodenstock and Schneider digital lenses
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:47:32 am »

So I finally got down to getting a Silvestri Bicam...now a matter of getting my first lens.

I'm deciding between a 35mm or a 45mm, Rodenstock's offerings are f/4.5 whereas Schneider's are f/5.6 (35mm and 47mm XL)

Is there a big difference in groundglass brightness due to the difference in the widest aperture, and also how's the image quality with these lenses?
I don't use extreme movements so that's not such a big deal for me...

we're looking at

Schneider Apo Digitar 35mm f/5.6 XL
Schneider Apo Digitar 47mm f/5.6 XL
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 35mm f/4.5  
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 45mm f/4.5

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:05:27 am »

So I finally got down to getting a Silvestri Bicam...now a matter of getting my first lens.

I'm deciding between a 35mm or a 45mm, Rodenstock's offerings are f/4.5 whereas Schneider's are f/5.6 (35mm and 47mm XL)

Is there a big difference in groundglass brightness due to the difference in the widest aperture, and also how's the image quality with these lenses?

we're looking at

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Also, if some of the lenses are retrofocus (Rondenstock's offerings might be, I don't know). Then you should be able to view more of the image on the groundglass without moving too much around. (Though I suspect you will have to move about quite a bit anyways on the 35's.)

This has an equally large impact on your "groundglass experience" as a wider aperture.

-axel
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:07:58 am by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

j.miller

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:30:21 am »

One consideration is the need for center filters for some of these lenses. Rodenstock's perform quite well without the need for center filters. However removable, this would be a consideration in in terms of ground-glass brightness, etc.

Regards,

Jordan

we're looking at

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:09:52 am by j.miller »

Larry_Menzin

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:27:08 pm »

My recommendation would be the Rodenstock 35mm HR lens. Groundglass brightness is always going to be a problem with a 35mm lens. You may need to replace the screen on your sliding back. I have the Silvestri stitching back and the stock screen is very poor. I had Bill Maxwell replace it.

Larry

we're looking at

M_M

• http://www.mizera.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:18:46 pm »

Jing,

I’ve researched this topic a bit and if you do not need large image circles, I would go with Larry’s suggestion and I would spend the money on the 35HR and possibly 60HR lenses from Rodenstock. These lenses are great and they can be used at F 4 without any problems.

If you need more movement, that is another story.

I do not know what back you have, so it is difficult to suggest anything, but what I know (somebody will correct me if I’m mistaken) is that both the 35XL and 47XL from Schneider are designed to be used with the highest MP backs currently available. They can be used with pixel sizes down to 6.8/1000mm and 7.2/1000mm. The 35XL has relatively a large image circle, the 47XL has a huge image circle and if you care, it can be used for stitching.

The 35 and 45 from Rodenstock have larger image circles than their Schneider counterparts, but they were designed to be used with larger pixel sizes ( 8/1000mm and 9/1000mm) as well as film. They will not resolve enough to justify the highest MP backs available.

I have both, the 35XL and 47XL. In my opinion, they are very good lenses. To get the most out of them, you have to remember to use them between F8 and F11 and definitely no more than F16. I have a leather focusing bellows and a ground glass with a Fresnel lens – with this setup it is not difficult to see the image or focus.

I hope this helps.

Mariusz

PdF

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:18:26 pm »

Hello everybody,

Did someone use (or know something about) the Sinaron Digital HR 35mm f4.0 ? Is this a Apo Sironar HR, or not ?

PdF
PdF

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 03:05:48 pm »

Hello everybody,

Did someone use (or know something about) the Sinaron Digital HR 35mm f4.0 ? Is this a Apo Sironar HR, or not ?

PdF
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i think its a complete new calculation, more retrofocal but still with acceptable distortion ( about 1% ) which makes it perfect for architecture also.
same lens design than the 28HR, which means it provides about 12 - 13mm shift on the dalsa sensor in horizontal position. Its sharpness is simply not comparable with the "normal" 35mm digital rodenstock lens. even at full aperture the lense is til the edges sharp.
the HR lenses are by far my favourites with the 36x48mm sensors.

i use the 45 sinaron digital often too.
this lens wants to be stopped down as the schneiders too but its a very good lens beyond f8.
symmetric construction, about 25mm shift horizontal, no CA, no distortion.

the 60 and 100 HR allow more shifts than claimed. they are perfecty usuable till 20 -22 mm shifts. Great lenses as all HR.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:06:12 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:18:03 pm »

The 35 and 45 from Rodenstock have larger image circles than their Schneider counterparts, but they were designed to be used with larger pixel sizes ( 8/1000mm and 9/1000mm) as well as film. They will not resolve enough to justify the highest MP backs available.
You're referring to the older Rodenstocks. The newer Rodenstock HRs, however, have relatively small image circles (most are just 70 mm), and are designed for even smaller photosites than the Schneider's were designed for (i.e. backs with well over the current 39 MP max).
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

M_M

• http://www.mizera.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:51:34 am »

Mort54,

You did not read my post and you must have missed Rainer's. Yes, I was talking about the lenses Jing was asking about and that is the 35 and the 45 Apo-Sironar digital. There is no 45HR - there is a 35HR and the closest to the 45 is the 60HR.

I hope this clarifies things.

Mariusz

You're referring to the older Rodenstocks. The newer Rodenstock HRs, however, have relatively small image circles (most are just 70 mm), and are designed for even smaller photosites than the Schneider's were designed for (i.e. backs with well over the current 39 MP max).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:52:03 am by M_M »

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:34:45 am »

I already went with the 45mm Rodenstock...non-HR. I'm surprised that the Schneider XLs are supposedly better IQ wise? I'm planning on using movements and smaller apertures as i'm shooting outdoors with strobes...well i'll see how well it performs. Yes the Silvestri stock screen seems quite weak and has no grid lines which is highly irritating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up