Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delayed flights, Lost luggage, Insurance, etc  (Read 2950 times)

jing q

• we are super
Delayed flights, Lost luggage, Insurance, etc
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:49:29 am »

so it's some sort of bad karma but whenever I fly for a job in the US they either delay or lose my luggage (happened on the past two editorials...)

so I was wondering how other photographers who travel with equipment handle these situations

How do you ensure you get your lighting equipment to the set, what are your backup plans.
What kind of insurance are you getting in event of delayed luggage and flights?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:19:01 am »

I travel with my camera gear in handluggage.
I'm not so keen on using my camera gear in normal luggage.

michael

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

Carry your camera gear onboard and ship your heavier gear, such a lighting and grip equipment, beforehand by UPS or Fedex.

Michael

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:38:45 am »

so I was wondering how other photographers who travel with equipment handle these situations[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure you have seen [a href=\"http://www.chasejarvis.com/blog/]chase jarvis video[/url]

Personally  I keep it small take onboard a billingham bag jammed with H1/back and a a DSLR and about four lenses and an small flashgun and 15 laptop

Enough to take pictures if the rest gets lost

I then check a second billingham with 2 Qflashes and three turbo packs and a couple of small four section lightstands

this all goes inside a really trashed fake samsonite that doesnt look worth nicking

Proper lighting probably needs shipping

learn the rules - last time I had my samsonite with the flashes and a water housing and got nailed for excess - not because I was overweight but the single item limit was breached

the last job that included 600F4 + case etc I presuaded the small local airline to sell me two seat tickets rather than pay excess

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:31:07 pm »

Ditto to the above  but in some cases I just have too much.

I have shipped items in a Pelican Case (inside a box) to the location and then shipped back home.   (I have also shipped film to the motel I was staying by Fed Ex and no x-ray)

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »

take camera equipment/laptop in hand luggage.....ship the rest FEDEX/or rent lights/monitor etc in the city I am shooting (if available)

Mike W

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 03:02:40 pm »

I'm wondering...if you do location shoot shots an irregular basis, wouldn't it save a lot of hassle to rent equipment (at a higher price, i guess) than shipping it?

I'm talking about lighting and such, you could still carry your camera onboard in a peli case.

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 03:38:13 pm »

I am not certain about insurance for delayed luggage, but for lost lugagge you should have a Commercial Inland Marine policy. This can also be added to your Commercial General Liability policy or as a stand alone policy.

Generally, if the insurer has the Commercial General Liability policy they will also write the Inland Marine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up