Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving catalog backups  (Read 2396 times)

marcgoldring

Saving catalog backups
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:43:31 pm »

I have been saving the backups of my catalog since the get-go and it occurs to me that I really don't need all those backups. I figure I can save maybe 1/2 a dozen of the most recent and delete the others. Is there something here I'm missing? Is there any reason to save older versions??

Thanks,

Marco

The View

Saving catalog backups
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:59:35 am »

Generally speaking, you only need the most recent catalogue and preview data.

What sense would it make to have a two month old catalogue.

I always hand copy my catalogue and the preview data to the external hard drive.

Now I'm getting another external hard drive for double back-up (just in case something happens during the back-up process).

But I understand your feelings. It is always weird to erase back-ups. I haven't done it myself. Possibly digital photographic superstition.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

berbig

• http://www.bigtonfoto.no/
Saving catalog backups
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:49:41 am »

I have been saving the backups of my catalog since the get-go and it occurs to me that I really don't need all those backups. I figure I can save maybe 1/2 a dozen of the most recent and delete the others. Is there something here I'm missing? Is there any reason to save older versions??

Thanks,

Marco
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be careful if you delete the old ones if you earlier have used one of these backups to restore the catalog. If this is the case, I believe your working catalog will remain in that backup catalog. My advise is to check the File  -> Catalog Settings to find out if your catalog is placed in one of the backup folders.
Bernt Bigton
Norway www.bigtonfoto.no

marcgoldring

Saving catalog backups
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 10:50:34 am »

It is always weird to erase back-ups. I haven't done it myself. Possibly digital photographic superstition.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad to have my sense confirmed. So I'll let go of the superstition in favor of my inherent tidiness that has me eliminate a zillion backups that I don't need.

Cheers,

Marco

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Saving catalog backups
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:40:30 pm »

I have been saving the backups of my catalog since the get-go and it occurs to me that I really don't need all those backups. I figure I can save maybe 1/2 a dozen of the most recent and delete the others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely. Personally I'd rather have one or two back-ups on OTHER media than a few dozen older, out dated ones on the same media.

If you're updating the catalog often, OK, keep a few (so you can, if you'll excuse the Apple metaphor go back in time). But copies of a catalog that haven't changed? Waste of arguably cheap hard drive space.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up