Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1ds MKlll - Wireless  (Read 18086 times)

stevecoleccs

• http://www.stevecole.com
1ds MKlll - Wireless
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:47:55 pm »

Anyone have or tried the Canon new transmitter for the 1ds lll?
Does it work well?

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:35:27 am »

It would be really nice if it works well and I would get one just for studio use, so I could loose the odd usb cable

dtrayers

• http://
1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 11:13:35 am »

Anyone have or tried the Canon new transmitter for the 1ds lll?
Does it work well?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158805\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about the 1DsIII but I have used the 1DIII and the WFT-E2A at a recent portrait session and it worked very well.  I was taking portraits of dancers on location.  I had my laptop setup with a 21" monitor so both I and the parents could see the image immediately and not have to peer at the camera LCD.

I had the camera set to record a RAW file to the CF card and a small JPG to the SD card as well as the laptop.  It took about 1 second to send the small JPG to the computer.

I had DPP3 running with EOS utility.  As I took each shot, it appeared on the computer monitor almost right away.

The only trouble was that I found that if the camera and/or computer went to sleep the connection would be lost and I had to re-establish it with the camera.  I finally set the sleep to 30 minutes and it was no longer an issue.

I started with a full battery and after 500 shots I had half a battery left.  I think that's pretty good considering the Wi-Fi.
- Dave

billy

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:36:56 pm »

if you are only shooting raw, and my macbook pro is 25ft away, will the wifi be quicker than a cable? can this work with C1Pro? I have always doubted the wifi thing but people are starting to tell me that it works, but they never ellaborate. Is this really a viable way to capture? I would love it if it was.

stevecoleccs

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 08:31:54 pm »

I had the camera set to record a RAW file to the CF card and a small JPG to the SD card as well as the laptop.  It took about 1 second to send the small JPG to the computer.

Thanks Dave - this is THE answer I was looking for - I'm picking up my 1ds lll this week &
I'll also get the transmitter.

~ cole

billy

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:49:43 am »

I had the camera set to record a RAW file to the CF card and a small JPG to the SD card as well as the laptop. It took about 1 second to send the small JPG to the computer.

so what about the raw file? can it be sent to the laptop via the wifi transmitter? if so, how long does that take? I thought this was a way to not shoot tethered, but if it only sends a jpg then it is not worth much to me.

dtrayers

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:15 pm »

so what about the raw file? can it be sent to the laptop via the wifi transmitter? if so, how long does that take? I thought this was a way to not shoot tethered, but if it only sends a jpg then it is not worth much to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It will transmit from which ever card you have set to review on the camera.

So if you set to record the CR2 to the CF card and the JPG to the SD card, you have to specify which card to want the camera to read from when you press the review button.  That's the card from which the file will transfer.  So in short, you can transmit the raw file just like the JPG.  However, since the CR2 is much larger in size, it'll take longer.  I don't have the 1DsIII, so I can't tell you how long, and a lot depends upon your network as to how fast the transfer will be.

I'm shooting portraits on location and I want to be able to view the image right after I take it to check the lighting and to make sure everyones' eyes are open.  It's also great for the moms to see the results immediatly (it helps with sales a lot).  I'm interested in speed, so I'll send the small JPG to the computer.  It's good enough for preview.  However, I'll use the CR2 if or when I have to make a print. I'll transfer them from the CF card later.  I sell the images through the web, so I'll also use the small JPG as the preview file when uploading to the hosting service.  When I get an order, I get an email to upload the full res file, and I'll use the CR2 for that.
- Dave

billy

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 10:47:33 am »

does anyone know if this wifi capturing method will work with C1 Pro? ( whenever Phase updates the software to work with the new camera ). Not sure I want to deal with Canon's software. Maybe Lightroom?

dtrayers

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:13:55 am »

does anyone know if this wifi capturing method will work with C1 Pro? ( whenever Phase updates the software to work with the new camera ). Not sure I want to deal with Canon's software. Maybe Lightroom?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can set it up to just write to a folder on your computer.  I know Lightroom can monitor a folder, I would think C1Pro will do so as well.

Just use the EOS Utility to get the camera to communicate with your computer, then you can use the viewing tool of your choice.

For the past several days I've been shooting portraits on location and using the WFT to send the preview imges to a 21" monitor for the parents to see.  Over 1000 images have been taken and the WFT has worked very well.

Note about battery life: I set the camera to not power off so the connection is always available.  Not surprisingly, battery life is greatly reduced with the Wi-Fi always being on.  After about 4 hours of continuous linking and about 250 images sent, I was at 65% battery life.  YMMV...
- Dave

reissme

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:34:10 pm »

You can set it up to just write to a folder on your computer.  I know Lightroom can monitor a folder, I would think C1Pro will do so as well.

Just use the EOS Utility to get the camera to communicate with your computer, then you can use the viewing tool of your choice.

For the past several days I've been shooting portraits on location and using the WFT to send the preview imges to a 21" monitor for the parents to see.  Over 1000 images have been taken and the WFT has worked very well.

Note about battery life: I set the camera to not power off so the connection is always available.  Not surprisingly, battery life is greatly reduced with the Wi-Fi always being on.  After about 4 hours of continuous linking and about 250 images sent, I was at 65% battery life.  YMMV...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello
I want to buy the WFT. but it is important for me to know on average, how many  RAW  files , can be transmitted from the 1DSMIII  to the computer evrey minute. (in continues shooting mode)
thanks in advance

Menachem Reiss - www.reiss.co.il

dtrayers

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 11:01:09 pm »

Hello
I want to buy the WFT. but it is important for me to know on average, how many  RAW  files , can be transmitted from the 1DSMIII  to the computer evrey minute. (in continues shooting mode)
thanks in advance

Menachem Reiss - www.reiss.co.il
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, with a little math... at the unobtainable speed of 54Mbps wireless, you get a transmission of 6.75 MB/second.  Assume a 20MB raw file, and that works out to 60 sec per minute / 20MB / 6.75 MB per second = 20 files per minute.  That's the theoritical best.  In reality, I would expect about 10 Mbps wireless speed so maybe 4-6 images per minute?  Maybe?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:02:54 pm by dtrayers »
- Dave

stevecoleccs

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:37 pm »

OK - I have the 1ds MKlll & the wireless transmitter - my assistant was able to "set it up"
on our Mac after 5 hours of trying this & that etc...so if you get this make sure you are
a cup network expert or hire one - please do not ask me tech info, I do not know.

So here goes:

Running a Mac Pro with the wireless & shooting RAW: 5 Sec. to transfer

The way we work:

Shoot RAW & save the RAW to the media card & just send a small JPEG to the computer to see
as a big preview & ck sharpness. Great for a client check/lighting ect. check.

Sending a small jpeg to the computer: 1/2 sec.

Works great!  

Works best using Bridge to see the preview, DDP works fine to.

~ cole

yodelyo

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:52 pm »

That is how I plan to use it. Shoot Raws to the Cf card and let art director check previews on the Laptop. My only hope is to use it with C1 Pro, either an updated 3.7 version or the V4. Anyone know if this will be possible with either softwares?

The way we work:

Shoot RAW & save the RAW to the media card & just send a small JPEG to the computer to see

Works great!  

~ cole
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

billy

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:37:05 pm »

" and a lot depends upon your network as to how fast the transfer will be."

ok, now I am really lost. how does this thing work? You have to use an internet connection? what "network". I really do not know anything about wifi transmitters and have searched for info but can someone spell it out for me how this works? thanks in advance.

AJSJones

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 05:06:16 pm »

" and a lot depends upon your network as to how fast the transfer will be."

ok, now I am really lost. how does this thing work? You have to use an internet connection? what "network". I really do not know anything about wifi transmitters and have searched for info but can someone spell it out for me how this works? thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try wifi in wiki.org or wifi.org as starting points!
Ever been to a cafe where folks have laptops and connect to the internet? They use a WiFi connection.  The connection doesn't have to go to the internet just to another computer with wifi communications capability - two points are all you need to create a "network". The internet is one kind of network, but not the only kind.  Your transmitter is on the camera and your computer talks to it through wifi communication protocol.

reissme

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 05:10:11 pm »

OK - I have the 1ds MKlll & the wireless transmitter - my assistant was able to "set it up"
on our Mac after 5 hours of trying this & that etc...so if you get this make sure you are
a cup network expert or hire one - please do not ask me tech info, I do not know.

So here goes:

Running a Mac Pro with the wireless & shooting RAW: 5 Sec. to transfer

The way we work:

Works great! 

~ cole
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks a lot, Stevecoleccs and Dtrayers
it means that I can shoot raw into the computer in many of the complicated fashion and beauty shots and in all ads for precise inspection of sharpness. seems nice.
REISS      www.reiss.co.il

dtrayers

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 05:32:16 pm »

Try wifi in wiki.org or wifi.org as starting points!
Ever been to a cafe where folks have laptops and connect to the internet? They use a WiFi connection.  The connection doesn't have to go to the internet just to another computer with wifi communications capability - two points are all you need to create a "network". The internet is one kind of network, but not the only kind.  Your transmitter is on the camera and your computer talks to it through wifi communication protocol.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162562\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure about a Mac, but I know that for Windows XP or Vista, you can setup an Ad Hoc network where the camera can link directly with your laptop without the need of a router.

The HELP in Vista outlines it pretty well.
- Dave

AJSJones

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 07:41:15 pm »

I'm not sure about a Mac, but I know that for Windows XP or Vista, you can setup an Ad Hoc network where the camera can link directly with your laptop without the need of a router.

The HELP in Vista outlines it pretty well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to clearly "spell it out", that's the scenario I was describing : "... two points are all you need to create a "network"... Your transmitter is on the camera and your computer talks to it through wifi communication protocol"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:55:01 pm by AJSJones »

billy

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 02:55:36 pm »

so now I am wondering how long it takes to set up the laptop to the camera. for instance, when we move from shot to shot, on location, we close the laptop and put away the firewire cable and go to the next location. every time we go to start a new shot, how much time does it take to 'restart the network'? for us it takes about 2 minutes to tether the camera and computer and start shooting. is the wifi a similar situation? just wondering for a 'more or less' kinda timing answer, nothing specific.

AJSJones

1ds MKlll - Wireless
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 04:12:33 pm »

so now I am wondering how long it takes to set up the laptop to the camera. for instance, when we move from shot to shot, on location, we close the laptop and put away the firewire cable and go to the next location. every time we go to start a new shot, how much time does it take to 'restart the network'? for us it takes about 2 minutes to tether the camera and computer and start shooting. is the wifi a similar situation? just wondering for a 'more or less' kinda timing answer, nothing specific.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure what takes 2 minutes (but I've never done it myself  )
A Wi-fi network (protocol) is robust enough to withstand the computer going to sleep.  E.g., finish shooting one location, close the laptop to put it in sleep mode , drive 100 miles with camera and laptop, and open the laptop - they're still "connected" - no need to "re-set"  So it's more or less instant.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up