Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 current status of roller marks?  (Read 78511 times)

johncustodio

z3100 current status of roller marks?
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2008, 07:44:37 am »

The part number for the new pinch wheel kit is Q5669-67060. The new starwheel assembly for 24 inch (it's called starwheel assembly with actuator 24 SV) is Q5669-67061. The ORIGINAL starwheel assembly is Starwheel Assembly 24 Rev B SV part number Q5669-67804. (This is all for the 24 inch Z3100, I don't know how these part numbers change for the 44 inch).

I was getting starwheel marks on Ilford Gold and pinch wheel marks on Epson Exhibition Fiber. Called HP, sent them pictures of the marks, and got approved for both pinch wheel and starwheel assembly replacement. I received the new pinch wheel kit and the OLD starwheel assembly in 2 days. I told the tech engineer who was supposed to install them that HP sent the old starwheel assembly. He re-ordered the new part. Apparently HP is out of stock on the new starwheel assembly and nobody knows when they will get it in because I've been waiting over 2 weeks!

-John

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2008, 08:45:22 am »

I am thinking of replacing my Epson 7600 with an HP Z3100.  How can I check the new printer has the latest updates?  From the serial number?  My guess is I'll just get a blank look if I ask about updates from most UK dealers.   I therefore would like to check myself.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

hubicka

« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2008, 06:48:55 pm »

Both the old and new lifts on the springs, that's not new.  No the paper does not lift it.  If you do not have black tabs on either side that slide out to wedge the unit up, you still have the old version - unless there is now a third, which I doubt.  It's pretty common for the techs to accidentially get the old parts for installation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right. After returning home I found out that the thing indeed lifts on springs I didn't noticed previously. Just the black tabs (from tech newsletter) seems to be missing, so there is no way to adjust the height at all.  Sadly the technician took original part and the wrapping away so I am not sure if the original part was on springs too or if he simply forget to include the tabs. I also can't check the part no. I will probably give it a try with my innova paper and see how the starwheel marks looks now and will try to lift it on sides by some support.

I however today got headstrikes on HP Litho paper that always worked perfectly before, so I think it is related to the new part. It is however possible that I've curled the paper more than usually when removing the roll, after printing about 60cm the problems apparently disappeared. HP called us again that new parts are on the way and coming next week. Either it is the roller mark fix or the missing black tabs

deanwork

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2008, 03:23:05 pm »

I thought Ben Wolf was going to get to the bottom of this 2 months ago and get back to us?

john

Snook

« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:19 pm »

Any Updates people... it as it a ghost town..:+}
Snook

terbyr

« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:18 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Any Updates people... it as it a ghost town..:+}
Snook
On Friday, I spoke with an HP telephone tech who admitted, finally, that "starwheel marks are an aspect of this otherwise fine product." Of course, there's an interesting Catch 22 in the "otherwise fine product." The on-board spectro was supposed to make it easy to use a variety of papers without having to make or buy profiles. Problem is, if you use almost any glossy/satin paper, you'll get starwheel marks in the dark (or not so dark) areas.

I've had the new pinch roller and starwheels installed and it makes a little difference, but not enough. I can't print on the new Ilford, Harman, or Hahnemuhle glossy/semi-gloss papers, so what's the point of the spectro?

Neil Snape wrote in a post elsewhere that if you've got starwheels, you've got marks. I checked my Epson 3800 and saw them there as well--but lighter than on the Z3100!

I've also read that HP Pro Satin presents no problems at all, and have ordered a roll. I'd prefer to print on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, but it's simply unusable. Which reminds me that Michael R still uses and likes that paper. I wonder if he's found a workaround on the Z3100 or if he's doing all his printing on a machine with a vacuum transport (i.e. Epson).

Terry

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2008, 02:50:23 am »

If you still have warranty time remaining, it would be good to have a tech come look at the height of the wheels when printing.
The degree of the pinwheel marks shouldn't be that visible that it makes the papers unusable, especially since you have the new wheel assembly. I have some Silk here and will have to try, yet I'm almost sure in your case the wheels must be too tight.

rdonson

« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2008, 08:05:38 am »

Terry,

Have you considered the HP Baryte Satin or the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryte?
Regards,
Ron

terbyr

« Reply #208 on: December 10, 2008, 10:38:18 am »

Quote from: neil snape
If you still have warranty time remaining, it would be good to have a tech come look at the height of the wheels when printing.
The degree of the pinwheel marks shouldn't be that visible that it makes the papers unusable, especially since you have the new wheel assembly. I have some Silk here and will have to try, yet I'm almost sure in your case the wheels must be too tight.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with. The marks on the Silk aren't particularly visible with flat frontal light but in raking light they pop right out.

terbyr

« Reply #209 on: December 10, 2008, 10:50:11 am »

Quote from: rdonson
Terry,

Have you considered the HP Baryte Satin or the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryte?
Ron,

Tried both PR Baryta and the FineArt Baryta. Was pleased to see less gloss diff than on the Ilford Silk but, in raking light, the starwheel marks popped out. It may be that, as a previous Epson 7xxx user, I'm too picky with the HP. However, when the person curating a new exhibit of some recent work held a large print under a 4700K spot and asked "What're those marks?", I didn't feel great.

Terry

rdonson

« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »

Terry,

Thanks for the report.  That's good to know.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up