Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 current status of roller marks?  (Read 78470 times)

Min

• http://www.MinEnghauser.com
z3100 current status of roller marks?
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2008, 03:18:48 pm »

I had my pinch wheels replaced with the tan ones back in novenmber, i was actually the second person in the US to get this 'solution'. Everything has been fine... until yesterday.

Low humidity lately...35-45%...low for Wash DC anyway.

Ran a 36x36 on HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art 310 gsm and the roller mark returned. Didnt show on the test but did on the print. The image has a very large solid black area, probably two thirds of the photograph. Thats where the marks are apparent. I know this is an extreme case senario, but its still there and still unacceptable.

I had an HP tech from Idaho come out to do the installation on the tans in nov. He left with my tests still showing a very slight marks, which he took with him and said he would run it by the Barcelona crew and let me know. I emailed him months ago, with no reply...and emailed him again yesterday...that email came back undeliverable.

I guess my point in writing is to let everyone know that maybe this fix is not permanent. I'll be interested to know who else may experience a relapse.

The fine art papers are the only paper on which these marks ever showed. And I haven't, yet, experienced starwheel mark...actually, i take that back...had very slight marks and a tech, not the Idaho guy, but another, oiled the spring on the end of the assembly, and Ive had not problems since. I use primarily Ilford Smooth Pearl.

Another interesting thing...being that I am coming up on my 1 year date, I signed on last night to extend my warranty for one year... they have options for 1, 3, and 5 years i believe. Went through the payment process etc but got no confirmation. Looked today for the warranty choices again and the 1 year warranty option disappeared...spooky?!

Min

Hellstan

• http://[url=http://galleries.lfi-online.com/index.php?cat=10220]My LFI Page[/url]
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2008, 05:50:50 am »

I think Bic is a French company.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Invented by Baron Bich, former challenger of the America's Cup.

Min

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2008, 09:20:59 am »

Put in a call to HP yesterday...was told by a tech that the Tans are not meant to be a permanent fix.

MaDTaZ

« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52:19 am »

I think you are getting confused with HP's Statement   "Permanent"  would lead me to believe that the roller and star wheel are changing over time, which doesn’t happen.  What changes is condition in weather and environment.  HP has no fix for these type of changes.  So different people are going to see different results.  So just an example.  In Florida you are going to see that your media is wetter and will cause an effect that the media is getting saturated with ink, where if you were to have that same printer in a dry area the print would look fine.  

The reason that star wheel and roller marks show up more often is because media does curl.  This causes the media to bend up and cause issues.  Now I know blaming media and condition is the first thing that is blamed.

One way to test this theory is for you to cut a sheet of your roll and turn it 90 degrees.  That will take the curl out of the picture.  

Now I am not saying that all issue has to do with media curl.  I am just stating that is has a big part.  

Just my two cents

Put in a call to HP yesterday...was told by a tech that the Tans are not meant to be a permanent fix.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »

It has nothing to do with curl.

I fed sheets and decurled rolls though mine for testing - no effect.

In the end I wasted over 50 feet of various papers and ink testing and debugging this problem.  I'm supposed to have a roll coming from HP soon as compensation for ink and paper used.

MaDTaZ

« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:21 am »

Every Person is different that is why this issue is hard to wrap around your head.   read the post above and you will understand why I made the comment.

The only thing that has changed in Min scenrio is that the humidity is lower.

{Low humidity lately...35-45%...low for Wash DC anyway
Worked since November and now having problems again. }

What you have to remember is every person has different issues, even thou they are same characteristics.

If you look back at all the threads of the roller and star wheel issue.  You will see common characteristics but you will also see a wide range off different characteristics.  

So if you generalise the issue and dont gather all the information on each individual issue then you are going to make an uneducated guess and that is not going to help the general public,  it may help a small few people.

It has nothing to do with curl.

I fed sheets and decurled rolls though mine for testing - no effect.

In the end I wasted over 50 feet of various papers and ink testing and debugging this problem.  I'm supposed to have a roll coming from HP soon as compensation for ink and paper used.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kaelaria

« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:46 am »

That's *exactly* my point, and why your statement of "The reason that star wheel and roller marks show up more often is because media does curl." is so wrong.  #1, it's not fact, #2 it's a false assumption, disproved by those of us that do not have any curl in the paper to begin with and thus is not a variable in the equation.

I'm not going to say exactly what is causing it even under my changing condition, because I don't know.  You don't know either, don't pretend to.

Min

« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2008, 01:23:20 pm »

I dont think curl or humidity are sole contributors to the problem. It  does seem, by my statement, that I was blaming the humidity or lack thereof. But I was simply stating the facts of the conditions so that people can make their own assessments with regard to their own predicament.

I'm also telling you what HP told me, because this forum is the place to exchange information like that...to do with it what you will.

Personally, I wont drop it with HP.

Even if paper curl was an issue...its still unacceptable. Which is why, months ago, when the tech on the other end of the phone wanted me to feed a piece of flattened paper to see if it were an issue, i said no, because that solution is unacceptable for a roll printer. they said ok. Got a tech out a few days later...although that was still not the right fix at that point.

If Im working with in the parameters of the printer, which I am, that i shouldn't be experiencing any of these issues.

Myself and another both experienced sudden onset of roller marks.

All I know is Ive never had to treat a large format printer like such a princess/prince before. If fluctuations in humidity freaks this printer out...well, too bad for HP....Ive got other options.

Im just glad I extended my warranty.

min

kaelaria

« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2008, 01:30:52 pm »

I completely agree, that no matter the cause, it's unacceptible to have it not work properly under normal conditions with the normal variety of media as other printers have and do.

As long as they are trying to correct the problems in a reasonable manner, I'm willing to work with them to do so.

On a side note I got shipment confirmation of my comp paper today.

Min

« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »

On a side note I got shipment confirmation of my comp paper today.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

You got comp paper?! How?

Every time HP tells me I have to test the issue of the day with HP paper I ask them to send me a roll to use and they won't.

min

kaelaria

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2008, 03:36:45 pm »

I asked nicely for it, and they fully understood since it took 4 times to fix the problem, and it ate up over $100 in supplies.

kaelaria

« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »

OK, thanks for the jinx!  I just got an email that the order was cancelled, and I have to go through another channel to get it reordered - grrr!!!

Min

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2008, 09:07:47 pm »

...sorry...

but i had asked them one time and they said they would send me a roll and when i called the next day to see when it might come they said 'sorry, we can do that, youll have to buy it... grrr...

stevenh

« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »

i think some people confuse head strikes with the roller mark issues. they are not at all the same.  i wonder if min and kaelaria  are speaking of two different problems. do a search on this site and look at the pictures in some of the earlier threads to see the differences.

what solves one usually doesn't solve the other.

i began this thread with the idea of just finding out what was being done regarding what does NOT seem to be a universal problem.  looks to me that HP is actually trying to find out exactly what set of factors causes some printers to have this problem when other users in the same general locale don't have this problem. it makes no sense to just start replacing things although it may be frustrating for the user, it doesn't help.

mine, in iowa, seems to be working fine.

we have a tremendous range of climate conditions here. i have had it since May 07. in that time we have had humidity (outside) from 100% to 10%. and Temps from 100* to -21*. in my studio it is not that extreme (heh) but it does fluctuate between livable temps and humidity (i.e. we have heat and a/c. I do not run a humidifier in the winter when it's dry).

i would really NOT like to see this thread become a venting session. it is better if it stays, as min put it, a place for the exchange of information. not a place to exchange venom.  

be nice.... and don't tease each other with sticks..

Sunny Kelly

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »

I received mine on the 14th and set it up on the 15th. Inside my office area, air conditioning on, and on the very first test with the provided instant dry gloss I had roller marks. Talking with HP I had to send photos of the marks before they will set up the appointment and to determine what needs to be replaced.

stevenh

« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2008, 10:29:36 pm »

I received mine on the 14th and set it up on the 15th. Inside my office area, air conditioning on, and on the very first test with the provided instant dry gloss I had roller marks. Talking with HP I had to send photos of the marks before they will set up the appointment and to determine what needs to be replaced.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i suspect that they might be getting callers who are mis-identifying the marks and are assuming that it is the same problem when it isn't. this does neither the customer nor hp any good. wastes everyone's time & $$ and keeps everyone chasing in wrong directions when trying to diagnose problems. if an image sent can clear it up it's more efficient in the short and long run.

there are also probably customers out there who simply feel compelled to have a fix installed even if their machine isn't acting up, just in case?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:31:18 pm by stevenh »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:03 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've tried emailing photos to HP tech support on multiple occasions, and they never get anything from me.  The techs acknowledge that their email is a labyrinth.  Did you email or snail mail the photos to them?
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

hubicka

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:08 pm »

HP finally replaced our star wheel assembly after more than month. For some reason they didn't include Rubber pinch wheel SV even if I asked for it.

Interestingly the kit they used seems different to what is described in the techdocs.  There is no way to configure the height of starwheels in printer, instead the whole thing is not 100% fixed, so paper can lift it up by itself.  I am going to try how it works this weekend, but is this now the official fix or is it one of older attempts for the fix? The person who came with the replacement seemed bit puzzled by the thingy and we unforutnately didn't had chance to check it while he was on place  

Honza

kaelaria

« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:18 pm »

Both the old and new lifts on the springs, that's not new.  No the paper does not lift it.  If you do not have black tabs on either side that slide out to wedge the unit up, you still have the old version - unless there is now a third, which I doubt.  It's pretty common for the techs to accidentially get the old parts for installation.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2008, 03:59:25 am »

Anybody has the HP part numbers of the replacement kit?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up