Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 current status of roller marks?  (Read 78568 times)

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
z3100 current status of roller marks?
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2008, 05:01:08 pm »

So my z is coming up on a year of ownership with all stock parts.  I don't see issues on matte or canvas papers, but there are occasional faint starwheels on the satin stuff I like.  I figure I should give HP a call and have them come out and update my printer to the current bugfix release.  When I call them, what should I be asking for?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2008, 06:02:13 pm »

Take good pictures of the marks you are getting, they will have you email them to them for confirmation, after you tell them you have 'star wheel marks'.

It is NOT a current bugfix release, however.  They have not put any of this into production, it's all an a case by case basis until further notice.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:04 am »

I was sent an email from HP in error which included these files.  Nothing new to us, or "secret" stuff from HP but I thought some folks may be interested.

The email also referenced a new Rev 7 firmware due out this month.[attachment=5395:attachment]

I can't attach the 2nd for some reason.  It's titled Star Wheel Marks.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:08:45 am by mcbroomf »

rdonson

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2008, 10:20:06 am »

I was sent an email from HP in error which included these files.  Nothing new to us, or "secret" stuff from HP but I thought some folks may be interested.

The email also referenced a new Rev 7 firmware due out this month.[attachment=5395:attachment]

I can't attach the 2nd for some reason.  It's titled Star Wheel Marks.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks so much for sharing, Mike.

Have you tried adding the Star Wheel Marks doc in another post?
Regards,
Ron

kaelaria

« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2008, 10:22:07 am »

It's kind of funny they partially blame environmental conditions, yet mine are in the listed Optimal Range year round.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2008, 11:29:06 am »

Thanks so much for sharing, Mike.

Have you tried adding the Star Wheel Marks doc in another post?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For some reason I simply cannot get the 2nd doc to appear in the post.  I just tried it again.  Same result.

One interesting thing in the email that I know many people will be happy about is that the new firmware will stop the job getting canceled when a cartridge runs out.

Mike

kaelaria

« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2008, 11:33:29 am »

Email the doc to me, and I'll see if I can get it posted for you.

DLS

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2008, 11:52:36 am »

So my z is coming up on a year of ownership with all stock parts.  I don't see issues on matte or canvas papers, but there are occasional faint starwheels on the satin stuff I like.  I figure I should give HP a call and have them come out and update my printer to the current bugfix release.  When I call them, what should I be asking for?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should definitely do it before your warranty runs out. One of the first questions they asked me was "when did you purchase ?" when I called for the update.

Maybe in the future they'll offer it to every owner whether in warranty or not, but I don't think that's the case now.

Keep in mind that they'll want to see the marks on HP paper. I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that someone was able to get the new parts by insisting that the Z3100 was made to work with 3rd party papers, but just save yourself the hassle and answer "yes" when they ask if you're using HP paper. If you're getting the marks they should show on the sample roll glossy that came with the printer. Then shoot some photos of the marks and your in business.

It's worth the hassle. I can honestly say that this printer with the Harman gloss paper makes the best inkjet prints I've ever seen.

kaelaria

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:12 pm »

It did not upload because it's 3.6MB and that is larger than the forum attachment limit.  I re-encoded it smaller.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2008, 12:35:26 pm »

Thanks Bryan,

Mike

Recked

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »

Excuse me for being so blunt but this is a large load of crap that we have to prove to HP that we are using their paper or lie to them to get parts replaced that are clearly defective regardless of whether or not we have the extended warranty.

If a car company were to do the same thing with some defective part they would end up getting sued left and right. Somehow though because this is only a 4 plus 5 printer for the 24 inch model it is ok and we are forced to lie to them saying we only use HP paper of course and yes here are the marks etc. to get this defective part replaced.

Again sorry if this appears to be a rant, but at what point is there some accountability?

best regards

DLS

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2008, 01:42:48 pm »

Excuse me for being so blunt but this is a large load of crap that we have to prove to HP that we are using their paper or lie to them to get parts replaced that are clearly defective regardless of whether or not we have the extended warranty.

If a car company were to do the same thing with some defective part they would end up getting sued left and right. Somehow though because this is only a 4 plus 5 printer for the 24 inch model it is ok and we are forced to lie to them saying we only use HP paper of course and yes here are the marks etc. to get this defective part replaced.

Again sorry if this appears to be a rant, but at what point is there some accountability?

best regards
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Whoah: It does appear to be a rant.

I hope you're not refering to my post ? If you are, reread it. I said:

"If you're getting the marks they should show on the sample roll glossy that came with the printer. Then shoot some photos of the marks and your in business."

I meant that if you're having problems with marks on any paper, then load the HP paper that came with the printer and they will show there as well. I didn't mean to imply that you should lie. If you want to rant, rant at HP. Someone earlier in the thread apparently ranted until HP agreed to service their printer. If that's your MO have at it. I thought I'd save us non-ranters some hassle by suggesting you look for the marks on HP paper. Of course if you'd rather do it the hard way to prove a point, enjoy.

HP never said you had to ONLY use their paper. They want to see the marks on their paper at this point to do the service call. Yes that's corporate BS, but there is an easy solution. If you're having problems with 3rd party papers, they WILL show up on the HP glossy that came with the printer.

Recked

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2008, 06:08:06 pm »

Hello,

No I wasn't referring to anyone's post it just struck me while I read the whole post how incredible it is that a huge, multi-billion dollar company like HP can put out a product with a clearly defective part and then force its end users to lie and cheat to try and get the product they are paying very good money for fixed so it works with all papers. Why should I only get the fix if I am running HP papers? That is like saying if Toyota put out a car with wheel issues and then attempted to say that only those owners who used Toyota approved tires would get the fix even while cars with both Toyota approved tires and those without were driving off the road because of the wheel defect.

It shows a complete lack of accountability on the part of HP. The machine has a defective part. Whether it affects all users who bought it is not relevant nor should the make of paper we are using affect our ability to get it fixed properly whether in service contract or not as this has been an issue since day 1.

Anyway my apologies I was not attempting to attack any person here. HP needs to do the right thing period.

Best Regards

rdonson

« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2008, 08:25:12 pm »

HP needs to do the right thing period.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who says they won't?  They just published two new Tech Newsletters on the topic.
Regards,
Ron

stevenh

« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2008, 11:03:56 pm »

Who says they won't?  They just published two new Tech Newsletters on the topic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Realize that HP cannot possibly test all papers available in all conditions in the ways that all of us will use them. Even Epson has a relatively short list of "tried and true" papers given that their 7xxx/9xxx series as been out for years.

Lest I sound like a champion for HP, I am not. I don't work for them. I don't own stock in them. etc.

I have been in computer graphics since the late 70's and a fine art photographer for over 30 years. I have watched digital systems evolve over a long time.

While I agree that HP did goof re. the marks on their own papers and I strongly feel that they should be responsible to test the most popular archival type papers but not every paper on the market.  That may be more in line of the paper manufacturer in collaboration with HP or Epson or Canon.

It use to be that the paper manufacturers were responsible to make sure their surfaces and coatings worked with a specific set of printers. e.g Ilford's earlier gallery papers worked well with dye printers but created a gooey mess with epson's pigment printers such as the 2xxx series.

It is difficult to design an ink set that will print well on all types of sizings and coatings. BUT I do believe that this shouldn't be taken by HP or any one else (e.g. Canon or Epson, et.al.) as an excuse to create a technology set that is extremely narrow and require that the user use ONLY that printer's manufacturer's paper. That would be not only extremely arrogant of them but it would certainly destroy any chance for that printer to become profitable/successful.

my $.02
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:05:49 pm by stevenh »

Recked

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:08 am »

If a printer vendor says their printer will except paper up to say 350 gsm and down to whatever then they do have a responsiblity to ensure that papers within those specs work otherwise don't make the claim in the specs to begin with and say only that the printer is supported for HP papers only etc. I am having issues with Hahnemuhle papers. HP has a relationship with Hahnemuhle. The papers I am using are within the specs laid out for the printer. Some prints come out fine. Others have the wonderful pizza wheel marks. HP needs to replace the assembly.

Not meaning to start a issue here, but for those of us who bought these things when they first came out and were nearly 5k a part worth perhaps 200.00 installed should be fixed if we are using papers within specs of what HP said the printer can handle.

I will stop now as again I am not trying to beat HP up nor anyone here. This has been a very helpful place with a group of generally very nice folks.

kaelaria

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2008, 10:34:29 am »

Just an update...it's still doing it.  It took a couple prints, and then it started snagging again.  I don't think they are far enough back yet.  The tech has escalated it to HP engineering.

stevenh

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »

If a printer vendor says their printer will except paper up to say 350 gsm and down to whatever then they do have a responsiblity to ensure that papers within those specs work otherwise don't make the claim in the specs to begin with and say only that the printer is supported for HP papers only etc. I am having issues with Hahnemuhle papers. HP has a relationship with Hahnemuhle. The papers I am using are within the specs laid out for the printer. Some prints come out fine. Others have the wonderful pizza wheel marks. HP needs to replace the assembly.

Not meaning to start a issue here, but for those of us who bought these things when they first came out and were nearly 5k a part worth perhaps 200.00 installed should be fixed if we are using papers within specs of what HP said the printer can handle.

I will stop now as again I am not trying to beat HP up nor anyone here. This has been a very helpful place with a group of generally very nice folks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not arguing with your points. Of course HP needs to fix this stuff. And of course it's frustrating and somewhat irresponsible on the part of HP HIGHER UPS.  Having worked in and with some large corps, I realize that some times the techs online and their supervisors are aware of certain problems but they are restricted from even acknowledging them by the executives higher up. In other words the higher levels of the corporation (for whatever reason) have "classified" the information and ordered the folks in the trenches who are taking the heat to respond in a certain way.
I am simply laying out some bounds to the "universe" of expectations and the huge range of papers coming on the market all the time as well as the "stuff" that some people will try to shove through their printers as an experiment ( I am NOT referring to you Recked   )

kaelaria

« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:48 pm »

The Tech now says he has new instructions from Engineering for using the tool and will schedule another repair time tomorrow.

kaelaria

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2008, 04:00:58 pm »

OK, after another 2 hours of work by the Techs, they look right to me.  Initial tests are again good, I will report back in a couple days again.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up