Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 current status of roller marks?  (Read 78472 times)

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 current status of roller marks?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 02:51:56 am »

so.... i am thinking (for any HP folks on here...) that the problem may be the softness of the GE and drying time required of the GE?

this of course does not apply to those of us getting the marks on the fine art papers (mat surface) unless for some reason you are forgetting to turn off the GE.

just a thought...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would think that the rollers are affecting the coating before printing and the GE is just revealing that surface alteration or even increasing it. Either because gloss usually shows texture more or because the surface differences created does allow the GE to be absorbed more on one spot than the other. I have this with some fiber papers with and without gloss enhancer and not with the art papers like PhotoRag that print fine. The RC papers with and without GE do no show it either.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Mary K

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:44:26 pm »

I had a HP engineer at my place last Thursday to replace the star wheel assembly on my Z3100 44" (it was damaged when a piece of cut paper jammed), and to replace the pick roller.  Turns out that the pick roller they sent me was the same part number as the original, so we decided that there was no point in changing it.  He called HP, and they told him that the revised part is not yet available.

Mary
Mary Konchar

stevenh

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 11:28:03 pm »

I had a HP engineer at my place last Thursday .......  He called HP, and they told him that the revised part is not yet available.

Mary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

which probably explains the backorder on one of the parts when the tech came to my place.

ricgal

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:06:23 pm »

I have just recieved a replacement priter after a 6 week nightmare (may relate on another post!).  Can I easily tell if i have the new or old assembly with the new machine?  It came with 50004 firmware and was brand new.
Thanks
Ric
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 06:47:43 pm »

I have just recieved a replacement priter after a 6 week nightmare (may relate on another post!).  Can I easily tell if i have the new or old assembly with the new machine?  It came with 50004 firmware and was brand new.
Thanks
Ric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161557\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you are asking about the pinch rollers, the new ones are tan colored, and the old style are black.
-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

stevenh

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 11:19:04 pm »

just an update.

spoke to the online tech today to see if the work order had been closed. the visiting tech left the work order open so i guess he has decided to wait for the backordered part and then return.

the online tech seemed to be familiar with the problem. he suggested that in the meantime i use multiple pass which would give the GE extra time to dry.  i told him i really didn't want to double my ink usage for a long time. i had already reset the drying time to max to no avail.

he seemed to be understanding and when i asked if i should call back next week, he suggested that i call late this week.

ricgal

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 04:24:14 am »

If you are asking about the pinch rollers, the new ones are tan colored, and the old style are black.
-Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks- I will take a look
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 03:43:50 pm »

I've got an update on HP's roller replacement policy:
Other people have reported that HP is doing a bit of stonewalling about replacing the rollers with the new design, but I just called about another problem I'm having (repeated printer crashes and 79-04 error messages), and mentioned that I'm also still having issues with marks on some papers.  The tech support person asked if I was having issues with any HP papers and I said yes.  He accepted my description of the problem with no issue and said that they will be installing them along with the other part that appears to be behind my crashing problem, and will install it all on Monday, Christmas Eve.  I was prepared for a little resistance, but really got none.  If I had said that I was only having the problem with non HP papers, I might have gotten a different response, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to order the new design.

I will report back with my experience, as soon as I can try it all out.

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:45:08 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

mas_bw

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 03:54:17 pm »

I look forward to hearing experiences with the new rollers from HP. I sincerely hope they work and HP will help users like myself.

I have black colored rollers which are presumably the older ones.

Here are my Z3100-24” paper experiences so far:

Epson Exhibition Fiber
Roller marks are present in 4/5 prints and on all calibration targets. The one good print was done with GE on, extended dry time and no added passes. All subsequent prints had the dreaded marks. Settings I have tried are Fine art Pearl (more ink) and Fine art Pearl (less ink) with and without gloss enhancer. Drying time and number of passes does not seem to make a difference but I have not tried all combinations as that would be very expensive. It seems like the new rollers will be essential to get the printer to produce consistent roller mark free output on this paper. Given the high cost of the paper I would not want to risk losing output from erratic printer behavior. It is my favorite paper so far for B&W (early days).

Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl
Gloss enhancer was on. Fine Art Pearl setting was used. Roller marks with roll fed paper if the paper passes by the roller more than once and at the beginning of the roll when there was more “drag” on the paper. The majority of the roll was printed without roller marks being a problem.

Epson Enhanced Matte
No roller marks

HP Premium Instant-dry Gloss
Standard HP recommended setting. Roller marks on initial print off the roll but no subsequent roller marks were seen.

Masoom (Toronto)
http://www.haiderimages.com/

deanwork

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:22 pm »

So what happend?
john

I've got an update on HP's roller replacement policy:
Other people have reported that HP is doing a bit of stonewalling about replacing the rollers with the new design, but I just called about another problem I'm having (repeated printer crashes and 79-04 error messages), and mentioned that I'm also still having issues with marks on some papers.  The tech support person asked if I was having issues with any HP papers and I said yes.  He accepted my description of the problem with no issue and said that they will be installing them along with the other part that appears to be behind my crashing problem, and will install it all on Monday, Christmas Eve.  I was prepared for a little resistance, but really got none.  If I had said that I was only having the problem with non HP papers, I might have gotten a different response, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to order the new design.

I will report back with my experience, as soon as I can try it all out.

-Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:43:10 pm by deanwork »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 07:07:53 pm »

I'm sad to report that my printer has been DOA since right before Christmas.  The other, non paper transport related problem got worse, so now the printer crashes almost every time it is restarted.  The faulty part is called a formatter, and it seems to be a circuit board that controls information input to the printer's CPU.  The part that is needed is on backorder and is supposedly coming in next week.  This is the first failure of HP's next day warranty repair for me, but a rather egregious one, in this case.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

deanwork

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 12:43:34 pm »

Ok, its well into January. Is HP delivering on the new rollers or not?

john

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »

Ok, its well into January. Is HP delivering on the new rollers or not?

john
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165911\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Word is that my rollers are already in the hands of my local HP technician and would already be installed in my printer if my formatter board that makes the printer unusable was available.  It is supposed to be in on Thursday, so I will report back then.  I've seen them installed in another printer too, so they are more than just talk, at least.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

chris anderson

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »

Word is that my rollers are already in the hands of my local HP technician and would already be installed in my printer if my formatter board that makes the printer unusable was available.  It is supposed to be in on Thursday, so I will report back then.  I've seen them installed in another printer too, so they are more than just talk, at least.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

just to clarify, what color are the old rollers, and what are the new? Could you post the part # when he replaces them, pretty please!! : )
 Chris

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 09:21:32 am »

Update: Roller Assembly

I got home from an all day engagement last night to find my HP tech support guy's business card stuck in my front door. We had talked three times while he tried to figure out the right part for the new rollers, but he never called back to make an appointment. He drove from Phoeniz to Flagstaff (2 1/2 hours one way) with no appointment. I called him when I got home and he said that he guessed he screwed up. He confirmed though, that he had the new rollers in his possession, along with a newly designed motor to add to the star-wheel assembly to reduce the pressure of the that assembly on the media. He tells me that this motor does not exist on my current printer. This will be interesting when he can get back up here next Tuesday.

I'll keep you updated.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

rdonson

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 09:30:22 am »

Thanks, Jim.  I look forward to your next update.  If it works I guess I'll be calling HP.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 09:47:15 am »

Thanks, Jim.  I look forward to your next update.  If it works I guess I'll be calling HP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166498\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Since the starwheels rotate passively and do not have a drive shaft, per se, I'm really curious about this motor as well . . .
I'll be sure to ask the tech who is visiting me today, if this isn't a part of my new roller package being installed.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 05:39:19 pm »

I promised to report back after my tech visit, and unfortunately, I got the worst possible news today regarding the new rollers.

The new pinch rollers that the tech guy brought today, that were ordered as "new design" rollers by the phone tech support person who placed my repair order, were the exact same ones that the machine came with.  Quite honestly, I'm baffled by all of this.

When I first opened my case with this issue, the first level tech said that there were no known paper transport issues with the pinch rollers and no new design.  After I told him that I had seen the new design and knew of three printers that had the new design installed, he checked with someone in the second level and completely changed his story.  He said that there indeed was a new design, and placed an order for it.

Today, after catching my field tech up on all of this, he called HP and was told by first and second level support that none of what I told him was right.  No new design, no new part number, no known reports of paper marking from pinch rollers.  Since I was adamant that I had seen these parts with my own eyes, he pressed the issue and was told that HP Global Support would look into it.  He is expecting a call from them at some point.

In an effort to be proactive, I called about this as well.  Pierre, who was helping me, asked the three top second level reps about this and all of them say that they know nothing of any of this.  Until someone from the HP Global support division gets back to us, the only thing that Pierre and I can surmise is that this is still a beta fix and not 100% official.  I called the tech from Calumet who showed me his new rollers and has installed at least two others, my original source, but he says that he got the rollers from HP, but didn't notice what the part numbers were for the new design.  Since I didn't buy my printer from him, he was not willing to call HP for me to see if he could get a straight answer himself.

So until someone else from HP calls back with different information, it looks the possible scenarios that would explain this are:   I was hallucinating, I'm lying about what I saw, or the guy from Calumet made his own from parts in his back room and lied when he said they came from HP.  Oh yeah, or HP is confused and/or lying themselves . . .

Frustrated, very frustrated,
Ron H.
-Ron H.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »

Well now, I'm even more curious as to what pinch roller assembly the rep will bring out to me next week. When I pressed him on making sure that he had the right part on last night's phone call, he said it was the the "new design" and was the "latest and greatest".

I guess we'll know something on Tuesday.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

deanwork

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 01:57:39 pm »

Don't worry, be happy.

The new pinch rollers that the tech guy brought today, that were ordered as "new design" rollers by the phone tech support person who placed my repair order, were the exact same ones that the machine came with.  Quite honestly, I'm baffled by all of this.

When I first opened my case with this issue, the first level tech said that there were no known paper transport issues with the pinch rollers and no new design.  After I told him that I had seen the new design and knew of three printers that had the new design installed, he checked with someone in the second level and completely changed his story.  He said that there indeed was a new design, and placed an order for it.

Today, after catching my field tech up on all of this, he called HP and was told by first and second level support that none of what I told him was right.  No new design, no new part number, no known reports of paper marking from pinch rollers.  Since I was adamant that I had seen these parts with my own eyes, he pressed the issue and was told that HP Global Support would look into it.  He is expecting a call from them at some point.

In an effort to be proactive, I called about this as well.  Pierre, who was helping me, asked the three top second level reps about this and all of them say that they know nothing of any of this.  Until someone from the HP Global support division gets back to us, the only thing that Pierre and I can surmise is that this is still a beta fix and not 100% official.  I called the tech from Calumet who showed me his new rollers and has installed at least two others, my original source, but he says that he got the rollers from HP, but didn't notice what the part numbers were for the new design.  Since I didn't buy my printer from him, he was not willing to call HP for me to see if he could get a straight answer himself.

So until someone else from HP calls back with different information, it looks the possible scenarios that would explain this are:   I was hallucinating, I'm lying about what I saw, or the guy from Calumet made his own from parts in his back room and lied when he said they came from HP.  Oh yeah, or HP is confused and/or lying themselves . . .

Frustrated, very frustrated,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166595\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:41:18 pm by deanwork »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up