Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 current status of roller marks?  (Read 78466 times)

stevenh

z3100 current status of roller marks?
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:58:16 pm »

i have searched but haven't seen any updates or real fixes re. the subtle roller marks on the 3100.  visible from an angle on glossy but straight on when using hann. smooth fine art paper.

seems to me that i read on here a bit ago that a fix was gong to be available in dec?

unfortunately i can't give any work to the galleries or museums with this marking on it.

thanks for any and all information

steven

Mary K

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:32:24 pm »

HP tech support told me that there will be a retroactive hardware fix at no charge.  They said the parts will be available in late December or early January.

Mary
Mary Konchar

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:44:22 pm »

HP tech support told me that there will be a retroactive hardware fix at no charge.  They said the parts will be available in late December or early January.

Mary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I walked into Calumet yesterday and was asking about their paper testing with some of the new gloss paper types and asked the salesperson how they were faring with transport roller marks.  The guy said that they had no issues at all, since they had switched out the rollers with the new design.  He showed them to me and the are now brown, slightly softer and slightly larger in diameter.  I'm looking forward to seeing this solution implemented across the board and crossing this off my list of issues.  Sooner, rather than later, is fine by me.
-Ron H.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:44:51 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

stevenh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:45 pm »

Excellent! thanks.

now all i have to do is make sure i can get through to an HP rep who knows about the fix...  

thanks again.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:09:30 am »

I walked into Calumet yesterday and was asking about their paper testing with some of the new gloss paper types and asked the salesperson how they were faring with transport roller marks.  The guy said that they had no issues at all, since they had switched out the rollers with the new design.  He showed them to me and the are now brown, slightly softer and slightly larger in diameter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi -Ron H.,

This is very good news. I was getting worried (more worried than usual).

I was hoping you can tell me what kind of papers Calumet was testing, if you know.

I think my printer's in the que for this, but I need to double check.

Any light you can shed is appreciated.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:40:23 am »

Hi -Ron H.,

This is very good news. I was getting worried (more worried than usual).

I was hoping you can tell me what kind of papers Calumet was testing, if you know.

I think my printer's in the que for this, but I need to double check.

Any light you can shed is appreciated.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This was an in store employee at Calumet SF that was doing his own testing on their 24" Z3100.  He was in the process of running everything in sight through it, although they don't yet have Hahnemuhle Bamboo or Epson Exhibition Fiber yet.  He did manage to get his hands on some Harman Gloss (although they aren't carrying it yet) and had no marking on it.  He was about to run some Moab Colorado, which I'm interested in, but hadn't yet when I was there.  I need to stop back by there when things are saner for me and really look through their sample prints when I have more time.

One more funny fact.  He said that they had installed this in their printer and two client's machines and that it is an easy, user installable upgrade for anybody with a little technical know how.  It does, however, require a very specialized tool to install:  the cap to a Bic pen.  I don't know the world pen market very well, but I hope this isn't a problem for Ernst and our European Z contingent!

-Ron H.
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 12:12:54 pm »

I don't know the world pen market very well, but I hope this isn't a problem for Ernst and our European Z contingent!

-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Bic is a French company.    
Regards,
Ron

Recked

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:25:20 pm »

Hello,

Do we have to pay for this "upgrade"/ fix? HP has already replaced the unit for me once, but it was with the second generation fix not this newest one.

thank you

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 12:49:32 pm »

I think Bic is a French company.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Whew!

Regarding cost, it is only $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

Joking aside, it is a free upgrade.  I just don't know the particulars of timing or how it will be implemented.  The parts that were replaced for Calumet were shipped direct from Spain to HP in San Diego, who forwarded them to Calumet to install themselves.

-Ron H.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:50:16 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 02:43:09 pm »

Whew!

Regarding cost, it is only $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

Joking aside, it is a free upgrade.  I just don't know the particulars of timing or how it will be implemented.  The parts that were replaced for Calumet were shipped direct from Spain to HP in San Diego, who forwarded them to Calumet to install themselves.

-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great news.  I look forward to getting the kit and installing it.
Regards,
Ron

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 04:20:41 pm »

HP tech support told me that there will be a retroactive hardware fix at no charge.  They said the parts will be available in late December or early January.

Mary

I called HP Support today to inquire about the status of the new rollers since I had no luck printing on the new Harman FB Gloss. My first level support person, Jen, put me on hold for about 4 minutes and then came back and said I would have to prove a roller mark issue on HP media to be eligible for the retrofit. I explained how the Z3100 was specifically designed to allow use of 3rd party papers and that I knew the rollers had been redesigned to accommodate the new FB glossy papers among others based on user feedback. She said "sorry, that's the policy" so I asked to be bumped to the next support level.

A few minutes later, James got on the phone and spouted the same line about only supporting HP media. We had a friendly discussion where I simply repeated the mantra "but the Z3100 was designed specifically to work with HP and 3rd party media" about 7 or 8 times after which he agreed that I could have the retrofit when it was available. It took a while, but he finally fessed up that it should be in a week or so. He agreed to give me a case number with notes to the effect that I was approved for the retrofit when I called in next time so I could avoid all the HP defenses against providing its customers with engineering improvements to the printer.

Don't take "No" for an answer, but stay friendly and calm if you have to deal with this.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

stevenh

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 09:11:25 pm »

which number did you call? i have had mixed luck sometimes getting bounced around.

good advice, I  also have found that keeping it friendly no matter how frustrating it gets tends to help on tech lines and in airports.

I called HP Support today to inquire about the status of the new rollers since I had no luck printing on the new Harman FB Gloss. My first level support person, Jen, put me on hold for about 4 minutes and then came back and said I would have to prove a roller mark issue on HP media to be eligible for the retrofit. I explained how the Z3100 was specifically designed to allow use of 3rd party papers and that I knew the rollers had been redesigned to accommodate the new FB glossy papers among others based on user feedback. She said "sorry, that's the policy" so I asked to be bumped to the next support level.

A few minutes later, James got on the phone and spouted the same line about only supporting HP media. We had a friendly discussion where I simply repeated the mantra "but the Z3100 was designed specifically to work with HP and 3rd party media" about 7 or 8 times after which he agreed that I could have the retrofit when it was available. It took a while, but he finally fessed up that it should be in a week or so. He agreed to give me a case number with notes to the effect that I was approved for the retrofit when I called in next time so I could avoid all the HP defenses against providing its customers with engineering improvements to the printer.

Don't take "No" for an answer, but stay friendly and calm if you have to deal with this.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 09:21:05 pm »

Steven,

1-800-474-6836. It seems they have changed the options since the last time I called a few months ago. They ask more questions, but you get to where you need to go on the first time.

Good luck,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

stevenh

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 09:21:38 am »

thanks jim.

Steven,

1-800-474-6836. It seems they have changed the options since the last time I called a few months ago. They ask more questions, but you get to where you need to go on the first time.

Good luck,
Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

alanmcf

• http://
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 12:21:14 pm »

Some time ago I heard that Italy was experimenting with a small shim like gadget that would be inserted by the end user one on each side of the printer to take a bit of pressure off of the rollers. Maybe this is that. Alan

stevenh

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 03:11:10 pm »

Well that was painless so far. asked me if i had ever used non hp paper. i said no since i haven't yet.
but i have a feeling that saying no to that question might have dodged a potential "bullet".

put me on hold for about 1 1/2 min. and came back asked if these where marks about the width of my finger or thumb. (yes)  .  told tell me they're  sending a person out to replace the starwheels and the platten.  i mentioned that i knew there was a problem and fix for the rollers as well he said he would have them work with those as well.

nice person.

whole call took about 5 minutes not counting the nice electronic lady who enthusiastically let me know that i was "doing great!" in answering her questions to direct me  .

we'll see how it all turns out.

thanks for all your help here.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 03:37:53 pm »

Some time ago I heard that Italy was experimenting with a small shim like gadget that would be inserted by the end user one on each side of the printer to take a bit of pressure off of the rollers. Maybe this is that. Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nope, just slightly larger diameter pressure rollers made from a softer material.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 04:13:36 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unlikely solution as it would also reduce the friction on the transport axle and by that create transport length differences and banding. The solution must keep the right friction on the underside of the paper so the same total clamping power as before but give a better distributed and possibly reduced pressure on the top which is possible with slightly larger rolls that are also softer. I also thought that it would be better if the rolls could adjust their angle to the paper individually, the existing design doesn't give that freedom. I checked them some time ago to see whether I could make a solution myself but there isn't enough space to make the rolls thicker with a short soft tube and a roll that can't roll would be a disaster.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

deelight

• http://
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 10:26:35 am »

Mary

Hi all!

The roller marks you are talking about - are they only on the front of the paper ar also at the back?

Reason to ask is: I tried printing double sided paper and I had roller marks on the already printed side after the second run.

Will the upgrade also fix this problem?

Thanks,

Clem

stevenh

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 09:27:56 pm »

well.... the tech made a house call. nice guy. we talked a lot about the problem. he looked at the prints and ran a few prints. he noticed that the marks got worse as you went up the page. also the edge of the marks almost looked like kind of water marks that had dried on a glass like a residue.

he changed out the starwheels and assembly since that was what HP had sent him. they had backordered the other parts.

he inspected the rollers and noticed that there was a slight curve in the rod. put everyting back together and reprinted.

no roller marks.

i ran a calibration test and got the marks again. i realized that brad (the tech) had turned off gloss enhance. so i turned it off as well and tried again. .... no marks.

so.... it seems as though the gloss enhancer is not drying fast enough and is accumulating?  the rubber rollers are underneath the paper opposite the star wheels.

the small plastic rollers on top are before the print head and shouldn't affect the surface that way.

so.... i am thinking (for any HP folks on here...) that the problem may be the softness of the GE and drying time required of the GE?

this of course does not apply to those of us getting the marks on the fine art papers (mat surface) unless for some reason you are forgetting to turn off the GE.

just a thought...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up