Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample DNG raw file from Sinar e22  (Read 19147 times)

Graham Mitchell

Sample DNG raw file from Sinar e22
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:39:35 pm »

Some people have asked me for a sample RAW file of a person, so here's a DNG file you can look at. Note, because it is RAW you will need to adjust white balance correctly yourself. I'm not including the test shot with the grey card. This image is only to be used for evaluation purposes and may not be reproduced.

http://download.yousendit.com/D4D92FCF5B1A03CC (limited to 1 week and 100 downloads)

Rollei 6008AF, ISO 25, 180mm f2.8 @ f4, 1/500, manual focus
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:28:25 pm by foto-z »

photoetude

• http://www.photoetude.com
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:41:18 pm »

Fantastic quality!
Thank you for sharing.

Evgeny.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:28:42 pm »

Some people have asked me for a sample RAW file of a person, so here's a DNG file you can look at.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Graham - she's a pretty girl and the file looks very clean. Sharp where it needs to be and smooth OOF areas.  I'll have to consider getting one of those 180mm.  

I was surprised by the differences between the Phase P20 and your eMotion.  Probably all the difference can be attributed to the Lightroom RAW conversion but the colors or tonality just seem different than from the P20. Not cleaner or noisier, just different. Hard to put it into words.    

There were a couple areas of the file that I thought were interesting - the green band around the highlight region of the panther necklace.  Also in the whites of these beautiful eyes - the little veins were blue purple instead of red near the pupils?  Wierd - never seen them that color before but maybe I haven't been looking.  She looks great  when I stand back from the screen - looks like I was really there and I agree I don't think the new canon will match this performance.
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:34:41 pm »

There were a couple areas of the file that I thought were interesting - the green band around the highlight region of the panther necklace.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there is some CA on the out-of-focus high contrast edges at this aperture. I personally don't find it disturbing because it's only in these OOF areas and it is easily correctable with the hue brush if necessary.

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:09:53 pm »

Finally, a well-exposed MF shot, only 1/3 stop from the right edge.

I wonder if someone can show an advantage of the 16-bit depth backs against the 14-bit E22.

Btw, I miss the aperture, shutter speed and focal length from the file. Have they been dropped by the DNG conversion?
Gabor

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:18:51 pm »

Btw, I miss the aperture, shutter speed and focal length from the file. Have they been dropped by the DNG conversion?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I use a Rollei 6008AF camera which has no digital interface so there is no EXIF data to begin with (the back is connected via a sync cable). If I can ever afford it I would love to get the Hy6 and have a much more integrated camera.

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:35:33 pm »

Thanks Graham - she's a pretty girl and the file looks very clean. Sharp where it needs to be and smooth OOF areas.  I'll have to consider getting one of those 180mm. 

I was surprised by the differences between the Phase P20 and your eMotion. 
Hey Graham,
I know everyone knows what back you are using. Do you mind telling me again. I don't automatically put a name with a back unless the back is the name.
Thanks
David

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:38:03 pm »

I don't automatically put a name with a back unless the back is the name.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

?

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:58:43 pm »

?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oops. One of these days I will learn to read  . I'm also thinking about the Hy6/AFi. The AFi5 in particular. Thanks for the post.

John Sheehy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:24 am »

There were a couple areas of the file that I thought were interesting - the green band around the highlight region of the panther necklace.

The RAW data is clipped at 16383 in the specular highlights of the panther.

RobertJ

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 06:20:12 pm »

It doesn't even come close to Graham's shot, but at least it's in focus, and has pretty good sharpness for a Canon.

Panopeeper

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:13:56 pm »

It doesn't even come close to Graham's shot
I wonder on what criteria this opinion is based on. Although it should have been exposed at least one stop higher, this affects only the black sweater and some of the hair. I don't see, where it stands behind the other shot.
Gabor

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 08:22:04 pm »

It is shot with 1Ds MkII, 100/2.8 macro, 5.6, 1/30th, daylight + bron para 220FB as assisting light.

I'm interested in your findings.

Best,
Johannes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice shot Johannes and thanks for sharing.  It was great to be able to import it into lightroom with your settings, metadata etc.   I used to shoot with the 100 macro and its a great lens actually.  There is a lot of detail in image, but somehow it looks less real than Grahams eMotion image. That image has a critical sharpness that's missing with the 1Ds2 image I think.  Even when looking zoomed out, I find it hard to develop the feeling that she is there in front of me like in Grahams shot.  Wonder why? Is it the color or tonality?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:31:00 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:25:09 pm »

Was looking for P20 files to put up, but I haven't had it that long.  So here's two Leica DMR files for you both were taken with the 80mm lux, one at f/8 of a local model and one of my friends wife who happened to visit my studio while I was getting ready for a shoot. I shot that one wide open at f/1.4

Take a look....

Http://www.eh21.com/LeicaDMR/

Of course the files are for your evaluation only - not for reuse.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:26:52 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:31:33 pm »

I don't see, where it stands behind the other shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Other than being soft and lacking the detail of Graham's pic any Canonite should be happy with the shot.

David

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »

IMPORTANT

After some feedback on this DNG file and especially some colour and highlight issues, I have to say that I have never used the DNG conversion before and it is not part of my ordinary workflow. There the DNG file is only useful as a measure of the file's resolution and detail.

I chose the DNG format to try to be helpful but it only opened a can of worms.

So.. here is an 8 bit TIFF (16 bit was too large) of the same file exported as a TIFF from Captureshop with basic curves applied in Photoshop.

No colour correction applied, and the shirt is black as you can see. Some of the colour fringing is much better too.

http://download.yousendit.com/A316153B5CD90E9A (limited to 1 week, 100 downloads)

Panopeeper

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:02:31 pm »

Other than being soft and lacking the detail of Graham's pic any Canonite should be happy with the shot.

Well, I am looking at the shot in DPP, and I see details and sharpness not less than in the other shot.

I uploaded the DPP converted TIFF, w/o any adjustments, except a small sharpening:

20070217-103test in 8-bit TIFF
Gabor

Panopeeper

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:03:59 pm »

Johannes,

if you mind that I "developed" your shot with DPP and uploaded it for demo, I take it off immediately. (If you don't mind it, then I'll take it off tomorrow.)
Gabor

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:18:24 pm »

To compare files even slightly meaningfully, the faces need to fill the same proportion of the frame. Both the Canon and the Leica images have larger faces (esp the Leica).

Panopeeper

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:28:41 pm »

To compare files even slightly meaningfully, the faces need to fill the same proportion of the frame. Both the Canon and the Leica images have larger faces (esp the Leica).

The Canon image, what I uploaded is, of course, unadultered.
Gabor
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up