Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid December in Sedona, AZ and environs  (Read 2589 times)

rickruss

Mid December in Sedona, AZ and environs
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:42:56 pm »

Next week my wife and I will be in Sedona, AZ and environs for a few days of hiking, exploration and photography. We will arrive in Sedona on Monday night and will probably return home to Southern California on Saturday morning. I have checked the weather and it is cool (to a Southern Californian) and sunny (at times) to cloudy. I have purchased a number of books (Photographing the Southwest, Vol. 2, Arizona, by Laurent Martres; Photographer's Guide to the Grand Canyon & Northern Arizona, by Joseph Lange; and 2 books by John Annerino, the Photographers Guides to the Grand Canyon and Canyon Country). I guess I'm now seeking real world advice.

I'm planning on taking my 4x5 and my 6x17 back. I'm taking slide, black and white and color negative film. Sedona area? Grand Canyon? Antelope Canyon? I'm willing to travel while there, but do not have 4 wheel drive. If shooting a sunrise means getting up and on the road at 4:00 a.m., I'm prepared to do so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Russell

camilla

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:47:14 am »

well, there is SO much to see and photograph that you really need to make choices as far as I can see it.

Sedona is beautiful and you can have a grand time photographing it, especially at sunrise and sunset. The sunsets are outrageous- Martres gives you great choices. Airport Road, Red Loop Road and then Red Rock Crossing where you have several locations to photograph Cathedral Rock- just choose your favorite sport alongside the Creek. It's a "postcard" photo but you don;t say what kind of photography you are interested in. So much more and it's all in the book...Oak Creek Canyon, West Fork, Boynton Canyon, all the hikes available for better viewing the red rocks...

Near Sedona, well you will definitely have to travel-- besides the Grand Canyon-- and if you want to shoot sunrise there you need to get up much much earler than 4 am, actually you are better off sleeping there the night before.. choose your viewpoint and see the magic...if you do go there, driving during the day I suggest going 89a which is an absolutely gorgeous ride.

I also enjoy Sunset Crater and Wupatki--- as well as Petrified Forest. If you are interested in Petroglyphs, Winslow has a great ranch for them. These places are within 2-4 hours driving time. Sunset is the best in my viewpoint, so you can actually do any of these leaving Sedona during the day.

Not much else in close driving time unless you go the other way towards Jerome and Prescott which have their own particular charm. Depends what you like to shoot but I suspect landscape so that's kind of out.

Further away you have the jewels of the Southwest--the area around Page (I'm about to take my third trip out there this year_- Horseshoe Bend, Alstrom Point,
The Wave, Antelope Canyons, Toadstools, well, too long to list but...that's a 5 hour car ride from Sedona( at least, and especially at night with a lot of drivers without headlights and cattle etc etc) and a lot of planning goes into it- except for the Antelopes where you have to be careful about the time going in---and Horseshoe Bend which is kind of...right there really---it's a short walk but you need to start out really early in order to catch first light.  If you decide to drive from Sedona, it's a drive and watch for drunk drivers. Horseshoe Bend is the first place you will hit (on your left) before getting to Page. Watch for a small sign.

I suggest you have to decide how much you are really willing to travel because it would kind of make more sense to be in Sedona first and whatever you wish to shoot there or close to there and then move on and stay the night in Grand Canyon and then Page. That's just my five cent's worth if you allow me to put it in! I just have driven up and down those roads so many times that it's kind of my home away from home and I prefer to choose where I stay comparatively close to what I want to shoot so as not to miss the light. The Day's Inn is only a mile away from Horseshoe Bend and also Antelope Canyons, so it's the first hotel you see when you get to Page and it's close to wherever else you may wish to photograph. Alstrom Point is a beautiful place but unless you are amazing at back roads or..no roads at all, you need to go with one of the local outfitters. I always try to use Page as my "home base" even if I camp out elsewhere and leave whatever equipment I don;t need or don't wish to hike with, at the hotel. There are just so many logistics to keep track of when you are out there with so much to see and photograph and the light is so fleeting.

If you want to go into Navajo Country- you have the possibility of going towards Monument Vally and that's a four hour drive from the Grand Canyon---- if you leave the GC via the Desert View exit--it's going to be a little less. Turn right towards Tuba City and then Kayenta and 163 North. That's also an amazing area. You need to be there before sunrise- the park will be closed but you can walk in with your equipment and photograph from the Visitor's Center rim. Then , as soon as they opne, you get yourself a guide and rush down to the Valley. I always recommend a great guide, Daniel Chee from Daniel's Tours (435 7273227)Have been using  them for 20 years plus.

Let me know if you need anything else- most of all, enjoy.

DonWeston

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:05:37 am »

I would second the idea of trying not to do TOO much while in this area. I have been to this part of Az/UT several times, both as part of longer or shorter trips. It is a beautiful area but for 5 nites I would try to split it up for 2 nights each area with maybe one night in Page area alone. If you spend 2 nites in each place it gives you a chance to recover for bad weather and also a chance to enjoy the entire experience, distances can be deceiving. Enjoy, can't wait to return. Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up