Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Out of Memory  (Read 2553 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
CS3 Out of Memory
« on: December 03, 2007, 09:42:57 am »

It seems that the new PS CS3 patch has changed the behavior of memory.  I do lots of panoramic images--many more than 30 images.  Well, PSCS3 now likes to say it is out of memory when working on these big'uns.  In the past, when CS3 ran out of memory, it would just stop the processing and show PS open with no files loaded.  This was fixed when I gave it tons (200GB) worth of scratch disk space.  Now, even with 200GB of scratch disk space, I am getting out of memory errors on any panoramic over 25 or 30 images.  I also have gotten the out of memory error after a few hours of work on large images.  I just have to exit and restart PS to get it corrected, but it seems they might have created a new bug with the repair of the old bugs.

My system: AMD Opteron dual core at 2.4GHz with 3GB of RAM and /3GB switch turned on. WinXP-SP2.  Nvidia GeForce 8600GS video card with 256 MB of memory.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

blansky

CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:00:07 pm »

I agree they must have tweaked something.

I get memory messages and crashes now when auto-aligning two 375 meg images.

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:29:20 pm »

Mine now seems to hang on to memory long after it should.  I find myself restarting it much more frequently to restore performance and free resources.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

Good to hear I am not going crazy.  I started trolling over all the OS related memory stuff I could find, thinking that I messed up the pagefile settings or something, but to no avail.  when PS started running out of memory after a couple hours of normal use, I decided that there must be something else amiss with the patch.  

How long until .0.2 comes out?

KeithR

CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:16:18 pm »

It seems that the new PS CS3 patch has changed the behavior of memory.  I do lots of panoramic images--many more than 30 images.  Well, PSCS3 now likes to say it is out of memory when working on these big'uns.  In the past, when CS3 ran out of memory, it would just stop the processing and show PS open with no files loaded.  This was fixed when I gave it tons (200GB) worth of scratch disk space.  Now, even with 200GB of scratch disk space, I am getting out of memory errors on any panoramic over 25 or 30 images.  I also have gotten the out of memory error after a few hours of work on large images.  I just have to exit and restart PS to get it corrected, but it seems they might have created a new bug with the repair of the old bugs.
My system: AMD Opteron dual core at 2.4GHz with 3GB of RAM and /3GB switch turned on. WinXP-SP2.  Nvidia GeForce 8600GS video card with 256 MB of memory.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After you did the update, did you go back into Preferences and double check your scratch disc allocation and/or location?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:16:38 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:08:29 pm »

After you did the update, did you go back into Preferences and double check your scratch disc allocation and/or location?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yep...if it could only be so easy.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
CS3 Out of Memory
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:33:03 pm »

I clear the cache before starting any such operation such as merging raw files. It seems to help.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:35:06 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up