Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya releases new 120D lens  (Read 6393 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya releases new 120D lens
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:41 am »

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Bernd B.

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:20:43 am »

Looks like Mamiya is moving forward.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where is the progress? It´s the same old lens, not even auto focus.

Nobody ever complained about the I.Q. of this lens. Indeed it must have always been the best of all Mamiya 645 lenses.

So what´s the point?

I don´t expect much from Mamiya. They just don´t have the money to develop much new stuff.

I think the AFDIII will have the same bad viewfinder the previous 645AF models have. It would be too expensive to make a new design of the whole prism.

Bernd

Snook

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:36 am »

Nobody ever complained about the I.Q. of this lens. Indeed it must have always been the best of all Mamiya 645 lenses.

So what´s the point?

I don´t expect much from Mamiya. They just don´t have the money to develop much new stuff.

I think the AFDIII will have the same bad viewfinder the previous 645AF models have. It would be too expensive to make a new design of the whole prism.

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Your Joking right?
Mamiya is going to be one of the only ones around with Hassleblad I imagine.
Plus they are rumored to be coming out with a new Body with Phase and LEAF shutter lens'
I would hardly say they are not moving forward.
When may be the question.
Snook

amsp

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:07 am »

Jeesh, what's your problem? Are you stuck with an H2 or something?
Seriously though, I expect the new Mamiya to be improved in all aspects to stay competitive. The fact that they even bothered to improve an already great lens shows they DO have the resources, not to mention all the other lenses they already have released and will release in the following months. To me it seems Mamiya + P1 will be a force to reckon with.

So what´s the point?

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:39:17 am »

Actually they've been very active lately, delivering a new, highly regarded 28mm lens, and a new 75-150 zoom. And they will apparently soon release a new 45-90 zoom. Throw in their newly announced partnership with Phase One and you have some pretty agressive moves by Mamiya.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

amsp

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:14:23 am »

Don't forget the 150mm f/2.8, also to be released. I for one am excited

Actually they've been very active lately, delivering a new, highly regarded 28mm lens, and a new 75-150 zoom. And they will apparently soon release a new 45-90 zoom. Throw in their newly announced partnership with Phase One and you have some pretty agressive moves by Mamiya.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157905\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RobertJ

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 05:12:16 pm »

They've been incredibly active the last few months, compared to last year, and even the year before, when their website was at a stand still, and it seemed like the whole company was slowly fading.

Bernd B.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:12:42 am »

They've been incredibly active the last few months, compared to last year, and even the year before, when their website was at a stand still, and it seemed like the whole company was slowly fading.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The basic item of a system is the camera body. Now they give us an "improved" AF instead of a REALLY better finder. The finder was the decisive criterium for me to prefer Hasselblad over Mamiya. Believe me, I wasn´t keen on spending all that money. But a Mamiya wouldn´t work for me. Just because of the finder.

Have you looked through the finder of a Nikon D3? That´s what I would call "progress".

amsp

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:31 am »

Seriously Bernd, the new camera is not out yet, in fact there has not even been an official statement from mamiya stating what new or improved features it will have. So, I think it might be a little early for you to bash it. Besides, if you're so happy with your hassie why do you even care?

The basic item of a system is the camera body. Now they give us an "improved" AF instead of a REALLY better finder. The finder was the decisive criterium for me to prefer Hasselblad over Mamiya. Believe me, I wasn´t keen on spending all that money. But a Mamiya wouldn´t work for me. Just because of the finder.

Have you looked through the finder of a Nikon D3? That´s what I would call "progress".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:52:36 am »

I cant' tell what the differences are from the older lens... looks like the 16bit processor might be it.

I find the idea that it comes with 'Bayonet Food'  rather creepy though...
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:04:42 am »

You can always buy a different focus screen if you want more brightness.

I compared both systems and bought the Mamiya because I thought the Hasselblad felt cheaper in my hands than the Mamiya which is build like a tank.

I tried the H2 and H3D.
Also the way Hasselblad is working now with closing the system is not a good idea I think, you are buying into a system that will not even let you change for a film back, and I love to sometimes shoot film.

Also the new lenses from Hasselblad are not as good as the old version, while Mamiya is improving lenses today and now.

The main difference with the new Macro for digital is the preparation to send information to the new system and back. Although that is what I heard.
Quality wise I think they would have to do wonders to improve the actual 120mm.

By the way it's rather normal for a macro lens to be MF.
Offcourse I would also love a AF lens but the focusassist system Mamiya uses makes MF a breeze, you don't even have to look a the model, just watch the display

Every system has it's + and - points.
But seeing what Mamiya and Hasselblad are doing RIGHT NOW I'm glad I'm in the Mamiya camp

stewarthemley

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

Also the new lenses from Hasselblad are not as good as the old version...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting statement of fact, Frank. Could you describe how the old lenses are better?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:27 am »

I currently use H but have used M as well. M seems to be picking up speed. This is good also for people that use H. It means competition and pressure on all parties to really deliver for the money people pay. It is of benefit to the people that actually buy and use this stuff.

I don't care for the cheerleading & bashing. The moment my requirements are better fulfilled by another party I try to jump ship and move on. All the best to Mamiya/Phase & Sinar/Leaf & Hasselblad (am I forgetting one?). The choice of a camera system is something other than the choice for a religion (though it doesn't seem to be that way a lot of times ).

(I for one find the HC lenses I have used in a lot of areas, particularly sharpness, a lot better than the old V's I have used. Maybe with the exception of the 100/3.5)

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:18:22 am »

I did some research on the web when I was deciding on the MF system I wanted to use.

I don't know exactly were but I read I believe in the profotoboards that when Hasselblad changed to Fugi for their lenses the quality was not as good as the V system was.

When I compared the reviews from Hasselblad and Mamiya lenses (although they are very hard to find) they were neck on neck.
Also pricing on Ebay was about half at that moment.

That was for me the reason to go for Mamiya.
Now that Hasselblad is more and more closing the system I'm glad I did choose Mamiya.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 11:22:31 am »

I think I know what you have read which was mainly about the OOF rendition of the H lenses if I am not mistaken.

It kept me from buying into H for a long time as well as (read mostly) pricing. It was an excellent excuse not to buy H. Jeesshh.... these lenses are insanely expensive.

After I started using them I found most of them extremely sharp and having good OOF rendition in most situations.

I don't like the closed system concept either.

What I do find problematic is the mirror bounce. Even when delaying the shutter for the mirror I still see quite a difference between MUP and Not. It actually gives me a bit of uncomfortable feeling shooting handheld. This I haven't read before I got the H.

Anyway. Great Mamiya is releasing some new glass. I hope it will be stellar.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:21:09 pm by Dustbak »

stewarthemley

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:54 am »

I'm much more inclined to respect a person's opinion if they have compared things for themselves in real world situations (like Michael does with his "reviews") rather than "I read it somewhere".

I also don't like the religious/defensive approach to gear. I use whatever suits me and have and will continue to change when it doesn't. But sometime I can't let vicarious opinions pass as fact without at least a comment.

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:51:55 pm »

It was indeed about the OOF areas now I remember.

Understand me correctly I think both systems are stellar and much better than the DSLR versions.
My switch was largely driven by price also, I could not justify spending twice the ammount of money for the same quality.

The name Hasselblad however stands for something and that is something Mamiya has to build a little bit more on.
Hasselblad is I think sponsoring programms like Americas next top model because it's funny to see that EVERYONE uses Hasselblad.

When you watch programms on for example worldfashion and Fashion TV there is a nice mix between hasselblad/Mamiya and mostly still Canon DSLRs.

I'm not religious about a system, heck it has to do my work and that's it.
I do have an opinion however and that is mostly based on quality vs pricing. But most of all an open system.
As mentioned before I love to shoot some film now and than.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:52:22 pm by Frank Doorhof »
Pages: [1]   Go Up