Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import problems into Lightroom  (Read 2983 times)

The View

Import problems into Lightroom
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:52 am »

Lightroom 1.3  on Mac OS X 10.4.11, import from Sandisk card reader, Sandisk 2GB cards.

I imported images from two 2GB cards. The first went fine.

In the middle of the second import, I suddenly get the message: "Device Removal - device not properly removed - data may have been lost".

This was an OS X message.

Of course I had not removed the card, nor the reader.

Next message from Lightroom: "could not import all files. Could not find place for them"

Instead of 109 images from the second card, only 38 were imported.

Second attempt: two more images. Then the Beachball of Death.

From then on: when I even clicked on the menu bar, the beachball of death appeared for five minutes.

Plus: when I hid Lightroom and ejected the card/cardreader, it disappeared from the screen, but when I pulled the card, I get again the message "device removal - data may have been lost?"

Then I could not remove any device any more, neither the card reader, nor the external hard drive, and OS X collapsed on restart, and I had to press the off button.

The computer (24" white iMac) was dead for a few minutes and did not react to anything.

I wonder where this came from.

Did Lightroom have an import problem and took OS X with it, or was it an OS X problem.

I at least saved the images from the second card to a folder on my desktop in order to prevent them to get damaged (if they aren't already).

What could have happened?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

francois

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:25:19 am »

Well, it's hard to troubleshoot without having the computer on-hand. My guess would be that a connection problem between your card reader and computer occured. I don't think that it's a Lightroom problem. I would try with another card reader. Did you check the console to see if any error message was output there?
Francois

The View

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:39:13 am »

My images were strewn across three different locations, and I had some naming work to do, but I didn't lose one. (after the trouble I simply copied it to the desktop, and imported the missing images from there).

The console said "a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/LexarFilterScheme.kext"

The card reader is a Sandisk. The only lexar I have is a little usb storage, that doesn't work any more.

Interesting what you can read in the console report.

I had dozens of lines of complaints about "copyright" tag not supported by tiff.

"System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdimportserver: _TIFFVSetField: tiff data provider: Invalid tag "Copyright" (not supported by codec).\n"

It probably had to do with the connection to anything external, because both the external hard drive and the card reader were affected (could not get ejected).
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 05:24:53 am »

The LexarFilterScheme.kext file might be the cause of your problems. Do you use a Lexar thumbdrive? I would delete it as soon as possible and reboot my Mac.

The error messages are probably nothing to worry about. They just say that Spotlight importer didn't understand some tags.
Francois

The View

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:16:27 pm »

Thanks, Francois.

I actually could not find that file.

All I found that contained lexar was a plist and some preferences.

I looked into the library, and only found the extension of my Eye One Display 2.

Possibly the file is damaged (cannot open any files on that usb drive).

If I installed the software from the usb drive, would it overwrite the possibly damaged file and so remove the likelyhood of such an incident happening again?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:17:42 pm by The View »

francois

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 03:30:31 am »

The file should be located in /System/Library/Extensions/LexarFilterScheme.kext

I would search if this kext is still on your Mac and remove it. You may need admin privileges to delete it.

I must also add that there's a know problem with Lightroom 1.3 and importing files but it's supposed to be related to Leopard. Read the article here, the interesting paragraph:
>
Importing directly from a card may not copy all of the image files or may fail. Please copy the images to a local drive using the Finder first if you experience problems.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:31:36 am by francois »
Francois

The View

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:34:36 am »

I found the Lexar file (I went to the wrong library first), and deleted it.

Thanks!

The described problem about the import bug in Leopard sounds like what happened to me, and the recommended solution (copying the content of the card to the desktop) was exactly what I did (or I would have never gotten two thirds of the images off the card).

Maybe this has to do with the 10.4.11 upgrade. Maybe they put something into this upgrade that a Tiger mac needs to connect to a Leopard Mac, and this affects the Lightroom import in the same way on the Tiger mac as it would on a Leopard mac.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:39:12 am by The View »
Pages: [1]   Go Up