Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to fine art printing  (Read 3789 times)

tad

New to fine art printing
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:11:09 pm »

Buying myself an Epson 3800 Pro for Christmas. I believe my images are now worth it. (at least someone thinks so... LOL)

I would like recommendations for Epson papers only for now. Mainly for fine art printing of Landscape and flower macros. Also some family portrait stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Merry Christmas to all.

I do like to be politically incorrect.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:11:23 pm by tad »

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
New to fine art printing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:50:57 am »

Well I won't be going out on a limb if I suggest you try the most common ones to start with:  Velvet Fine Art and Watercolor Radiant White.   Cheap and though not available in a lot of sizes those that are around work fine with the 3800.  

If you haven't already I'd pick up some enhanced matte.  It's not really an art paper I guess but it can look very good behind glass.  

If you want something fancier I'd probably recommend something like one of the Hahnemühle papers rather than an epson-branded paper.  Sample packs are easily available.  Myself I've only used the ultrasmooth and don't like it as much as some other brands.   Nearly all the giclee art papers are made with the Epson inks in mind, I think, so there is nothing to be gained by sticking to the epson branded papers.    It won't void your warranty.

Have fun....
Doug
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:00:27 am by DougMorgan »

Geoff Wittig

New to fine art printing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:49 am »

Buying myself an Epson 3800 Pro for Christmas. I believe my images are now worth it. (at least someone thinks so... LOL)

I would like recommendations for Epson papers only for now. Mainly for fine art printing of Landscape and flower macros. Also some family portrait stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Merry Christmas to all.

I do like to be politically incorrect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The matte fine art papers including Epson's ultrasmooth fine art and velvet fine art are quite nice. If you want dripping saturated color for your flower photos, however, you'll get a wider gamut from something like Epson's premium semigloss or luster papers. They feel plasticky in the hand, but that doesn't matter once they are matted & framed behind glass.

sesshin

• http://
New to fine art printing
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:38 pm »

I've tried all the Epson papers and the only one I still use is Ultrasmooth. Its best for matte prints that you want to keep a lot of detail on.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:24:11 pm by sesshin »

Paul Sumi

New to fine art printing
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 08:57:59 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I print on the Epson 2400.  The only Epson paper that I'm using now is the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte (fka Enhanced Matte).   However, my current matte paper of choice is Moab Paper's Entrada Rag.

I'm testing the Harman Gloss FB Al, am very impressed with the quality, but really hate how easily the print surface can be scratched.  Hopefully, Expson's new Exhibition Fiber Paper will be of similar quality but more scratch resistant.

Paul

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
New to fine art printing
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:06:18 pm »

I would stick with what you have been using.  The Moab Entrada is a good, low-cost paper.  I also experimented with the Harman FB Al, but was disappointed with its durability.  If you put the image behind glass, it just doesn't matter what finish you choose anyway....actually matte may be better because you don't end up with the dreaded double gloss effect (glass plus paper sheen).
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Paul Sumi

New to fine art printing
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:13:46 pm »

actually matte may be better because you don't end up with the dreaded double gloss effect (glass plus paper sheen).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Still, there are times when a gloss finish paper is needed for maximum Dmax, e.g., B&W prints.

Paul

mmurph

New to fine art printing
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:29 pm »

Hopefully, Expson's new Exhibition Fiber Paper will be of similar quality but more scratch resistant.

No, it is not more scratch resistant. If anything it is worse!

But it is worth it. It is a great paper. Just get used to the idea that you will have to spray it asap.     Every fingerprint and small scratch shows.

Best,
Michael

Paul Sumi

New to fine art printing
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:16:41 am »

No, it is not more scratch resistant. If anything it is worse!

But it is worth it. It is a great paper. Just get used to the idea that you will have to spray it asap.     Every fingerprint and small scratch shows.

Best,
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info on the Epson EFP's scratch resistance (or lack thereof).  I'll test it to see how it fits my own needs, but it is obviously a paper that is not used or displayed casually.

Regards,

Paul

madmanchan

• Web
New to fine art printing
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:23:34 am »

My favorite paper for the Epson 3800 is Epson Velvet Fine Art. You may find this works well for your landscape and macro images.

For family portraits where you may prefer a smoother paper surface, try Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art. It is only available in the larger sheet sizes but can be cut down, of course, if you need smaller sizes.
Eric Chan

mmurph

New to fine art printing
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 08:07:45 pm »

Starting out with Epson paper sis not a bad idea. there is plenty enought o get confused about there, much less with all of teh other vendors.

Most of the recommendations so far are for matte paper. I print almost 100% with photo black.

When I bought my Epson 7600, I standardized on Premium Luster and Premium Semi-matte.  The Sem-matte is only available in rolls though. You could cut sheets off the roll if you really thought the surface was worthwhile.

With the newer inks you can probably go "up" in gloss, beyond Premium Luster, to Premium Semi-gloss. That has a smoother surface than the Luster.  On the older machines there was more of an issue with the glossy papers and the inks available at the time.

Use one of those for a day-to-day proofing paper. Then pull out the more expensive special papers for your finished prints.

Best,
Michael

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
New to fine art printing
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 09:00:47 pm »

How are you planning to present?  Under glass leads to some easier choices.  If they are to be held, the Velvet Fine Art has an amazing tactile presence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up