Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirror lens for Canon EOS  (Read 2617 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mirror lens for Canon EOS
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:57:45 pm »

Hi
Has anyone tried a mirror lens on a Canon 5D. They are usually in the 500mm range with a fixed aperture of f8.

Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Rob C

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:42:37 am »

Hi
Has anyone tried a mirror lens on a Canon 5D. They are usually in the 500mm range with a fixed aperture of f8.

Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not exactly the answer you seek, but I have scanned some old shots from a 500 mirror Nikkor and they are quite interesting; in fact, it makes me wish that I had not sold it off years ago as a one-trick pony of a lens.

The main thing about these lenses is the double-edged effect of extreme compression and of the doughnut highlights which can either make or destroy your picture. When I had mine, my film of choice - necessity - was Kodachrome 64 Pro, not the fastest horse in the race but one which travelled well; with today´s cameras there are so many workarounds to the film speed problem that such a lens would find much more use, especially as I´m not so concerned with high definition in everything anymore - a touch of photographic impressionism is a nice route to take, now and then.

If you are free to buy - enjoy it.

Rob C

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:48:13 pm »

Yes I have used both the Nikon 1000mm and 500mm on my 5D they work OK not the image quality of a standard lens (refractor) and a lot of vignetting but if you need the reach on a budget it works
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:18:39 pm »

Yes I have used both the Nikon 1000mm and 500mm on my 5D they work OK not the image quality of a standard lens (refractor) and a lot of vignetting but if you need the reach on a budget it works
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a look at the Nikon website this morning and noticed that many of their lenses have now been discontinued, the mirrors included, along with the 28PC (the 35PC vanished some time ago) and it makes me wonder if Nikon´s introduction of the D3 is indeed meant to signify a totally sports/reportage stance, with the needs of the fine quality, considered shot photographer being pushed into the arms of Canon and its EXISTING range of PC and T optics. Funny people, camera moguls.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up