Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Mk3,P21 and ZD compared  (Read 34617 times)

Natasa Stojsic

Canon Mk3,P21 and ZD compared
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2007, 03:11:41 am »

maybe michael will do us the favor to move this tread to the 35mm section whereto it belongs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\']!!! I totally Agree !!![/span]
[span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:

Ray

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2007, 04:12:11 am »

... but that doesn't change the fact that you can't find help here regardless of who you are listening/talking to.

Caracalla,
Funny, that! And I thought all along I was trying to help you guys set up a proper comparison.  

Personally, I would narrow my interest to my affordable price range, my favourite format and basically start from there.

I'm retired. I'd be in pretty dire straits if I couldn't afford to spend $50,000 on an MFDB. I've already got a bunch of Mamiya lenses I bought with my RB67 some years ago.

It's not a matter of being able to afford the equipment but being able to justify the expenditure to myself on the basis of the likely usage and satisfaction I'd get from it.

In any case, the idea of restricting one's interest to equipment one can afford seems pretty weird to me. Are you suggesting one should not be interested in the performance characteristics of the Hubble Telescope on the grounds one can't afford to buy one?

Good Luck to you, too   .

Ray

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2007, 04:21:09 am »

maybe michael will do us the favor to move this tread to the 35mm section whereto it belongs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why should a thread about the comparison of 3 cameras, two of which are MF and only one of which is 35mm, belong in the 35mm section?

Considering that the less invalid part of the comparison relates to the DBs which have roughly equal file size, equal DoF and equal aspect ratio although still not equal FoV, it would seem downright silly to dump this thread in the 35mm section.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:47:27 am by Ray »

Ray

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2007, 04:37:17 am »

The more I thought about it the better idea appeared. Looking at stuff 100% on a computer screen to spot small differences is about as relevant as judging them by the screen on the back of the camera.
Worrying about was this focused there or different apertures on different formats with different lenses is pointless.
Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You guys are having me on, right? You're pulling my leg. You don't really think like that, do you?

Okay! This is my last post in this thread. You can all go and celebrate.  

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2007, 04:55:11 am »

You guys are having me on, right? You're pulling my leg. You don't really think like that, do you?

Okay! This is my last post in this thread. You can all go and celebrate. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It was more of a support for you than a knock. Your comparison I think is relevant because it's not a scientific lab bench test, it shows you would most likely use the systems in that situation.

Kevin
Kevin.

Ray

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2007, 06:05:28 am »

It was more of a support for you than a knock. Your comparison I think is relevant because it's not a scientific lab bench test, it shows you would most likely use the systems in that situation.

Kevin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. There have been so many bizarre comments in this thread, I'm having difficulty believing that some of these DB owners are being honest. They're entitled to have their fun, however.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2007, 07:58:57 am »

I like the fact that a lot of people from different backgrounds come here. Tech and practice make a good mix. Let's keep it that way. Everybody welcome.

put lot of ice to cool everybody down....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:59 am »

Caracalla,

Are you suggesting one should not be interested in the performance characteristics of the Hubble Telescope on the grounds one can't afford to buy one?

Good Luck to you, too   .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Obviously you are shifting away with your Hubble Telescope example just to make your point, I could reply in the same fashion and make it sound related.  However, you have to admit that generally speaking you/others could be interested in Space Shuttle too as far as I am concerned and I'm sure you are not alone, but obviously what you/others can afford is what you/others are after and not what I/others/the guy next door own.

So, my comment was not about questioning your financial status, therefore I wrote "Personally"

I am sure sooner or later you are going to find the right tool for what you are looking for and by reading your previous comments/preference, I already know your Hubble Telescope example is out of question because it is a little heavy.  

Have fun, Good luck!!!

Ray

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2007, 12:48:11 pm »

...but obviously what you/others can afford is what you/others are after and not what I/others/the guy next door own.

So, my comment was not about questioning your financial status, therefore I wrote "Personally"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Caracalla,
I know I said I was quitting this thread, but I can't resist making a final comment which I think is significant. Unless one keeps an eye on developments in technology at the cutting edge, one might be unprepared to make a decision when such technology becomes affordable. Technological developments in general should be of interest to all intelligent people because they underpin our civilization and are the way forward.

Future developments in nanotechnology and artificial materials, initially applied to perhaps the telecommunications industry, will probably end up in lenses where the laws of diffraction are circumvented. Such lenses will be initially very expensive and only affordable by people who are plain wealthy or people who run photographic businesses and can amortise the cost.

I'm a firm believer in the economic principle of 'opportunity cost'. A wealthy person, by my definition, is someone who can buy whatever he/she wants on whim; a luxury house in Pattaya; a personal jet plane to fly there; any number of MFDB backs that take their fancy etc.

Most of us, if we're sensible, operate along the principle of 'opportunity cost'. My purchasing decisions run along the lines of, 'which is going to give me the greatest satisfaction?'....A luxury car and no DSLRs and lenses; or a modest car and a couple of DSLRs with lenses? A modest car, a couple of DSLRs plus a P45+ with a few Digitar lenses, but no second house in Chiang Mai or no 'round the world' trip?

This is the reality that most people are faced with. But how can one make such decisions unless one is thoroughly acquainted with the characteristic of the luxury car and the MFDB system which, with lenses, could cost as much as a luxury car.

How can anyone make sensible decisions as to which purchase will give her the greatest satisfaction (or for that matter, will improve his business opportunities) if he is not aware of the properties, characteristics and performance of such equipment?

Do you get my point?

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2007, 01:26:22 pm »

But how can one make such decisions unless one is thoroughly acquainted with the characteristic of the luxury car and the MFDB system which, with lenses, could cost as much as a luxury car.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158988\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know, maybe by....
testing the equipment?
Obviously your idea of thoroughly acquainting include looking at charts but not physically handling and use equipment. Funny.

anyway, good bye and farewell. Stick to your word and keep it the last post.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2007, 02:21:10 pm »

5,880 views since Dec 2 6:21pm

And all for just 3 images of an urban landscape...

Probably we are witnessing  one of the first battles of "The Back Killer" versus "The Digital" Back.

It is interesting how the same 3 images where perceived at DPReview -- a predominantly 35mm forum -- as opposed to here, at LL.

The images appear to be a source of pleasure for the ones thinking that "this is the end of the elitist $30k backs and the snub photographer owners", or "ahaa, the Canon is not going to get to us in MFland"

Some, have had enough of the immature competitive game. The solution is easy, just don't tune in to this radio station, after all we are only human, and humans have the tendency to convert everything in to a contest. We invented cars, we race cars; we have sale boats, we race them... horses, camels, race, race.. mountains? who can get to the summit first.

Now we have megapixel machines, so lets race them a little bit, no big deal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:24:17 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up