Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M8  (Read 21239 times)

Camdavidson

• http://www.camerondavidson.com
Leica M8
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 11:40:09 am »

I've been a Leica user all of my career.  I started off with an M2 in High School and own three film M cameras and two M8's.

I am a rangefinder guy who also uses the 1Ds III and occasionally a medium format digital camera.

The M8 is a very different beast than an M6 or M4.  I've had one body replaced by Leica and know   several people who have true horror stories relating to M8 bodies failing.  I love my Leica camera but there is no way I would ever trust an assignment to just one M8 camera.  Leica is trying very hard to get this camera right and they have made adjustments along the way.  They have been very helpful to me and I think the next version of the camera will be significantly better. Leica had a bit of bad luck in the beginning and some bad press regarding the infrared problem.  

If you are not a rangefinder guy, I wonder why in the world you would want to explore the system.  They are expensive, the lenses are out-of-this-world in quality and the cost to get into a basic kit is pretty high.  

The quality of the files is stellar.  Capture One and Raw Developer bring out loads of detail if you hold off on sharpening.  Photo Mechanic is now supporting the DNG files and Aperture, ACR and Lightroom do a pretty good job on conversions.

It's funny, how some people are just now coming around to the fact that this little German company makes an amazing camera system that is not the same as everything else on the market.  

They are not for everyone, but if it fits your style, they are killer cameras.  

I do think it is very funny, how people who have not used the Leica would call it a toy for Doctors and Dentists -  but once they use it, it becomes a professional tool.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:14:56 pm by Camdavidson »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Leica M8
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 01:07:15 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is the perfect summary
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica M8
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 07:20:53 pm »

The file quality IS stellar, they are wonderful toys, and wonderful cameras, BUT they are not anywhere near the original Leica in reliability anymore. They break down without warning, while the film rangefinder Leicas were the most reliable cameras ever made after the Kodak box.

Edmund

The quality of the files is stellar.  Capture One and Raw Developer bring out loads of detail if you hold off on sharpening.  Photo Mechanic is now supporting the DNG files and Aperture, ACR and Lightroom do a pretty good job on conversions.

It's funny, how some people are just now coming around to the fact that this little German company makes an amazing camera system that is not the same as everything else on the market. 

I do think it is very funny, how people who have not used the Leica would call it a toy for Doctors and Dentists -  but once they use it, it becomes a professional tool.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Leica M8
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:32 am »

The file quality IS stellar, they are wonderful toys, and wonderful cameras, BUT they are not anywhere near the original Leica in reliability anymore. They break down without warning, while the film rangefinder Leicas were the most reliable cameras ever made after the Kodak box.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure, but there's a whole heck of a lot more going on in a digital camera than there is in a film camera.  I mean, a film camera is a lens and a light box.  Go full manual and you have something you can soak and it will come up fine.  Digital has TONS of stuff going on.

Of course, the other folks (Canon, Nikon, etc.) can produce reliable digital SLRs but they're still not as robust and reliable as a manual film camera.  And Leica doesn't have near the electronic experience that these guys have, nor do they have nearly the workforce.  I'd expect that, given time, and given enough sales, they'll get to "reliable enough for it not to be an issue."  Maybe I'll buy my "dentist-toy-cum-professional-tool" around the M9 or M10 timeframe  

Bartie

• http://
Leica M8
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 02:51:09 pm »

I`m glad that I started this thread,it has been a mine of information.After hearing all the comments made,good and bad, my heart says buy it now! But my head says, wait for the next model to come out.Maybe by then Leica will have ironed out all the problems.
Buying into this system would cost me around £5000 for Body and Lens.That`s a lot of money to spend and hope that you`ve had  "A good" M8.So I might just hang back a while and see what Leica come up with.I hope it`s sooner than later.

Regards   Andy

jpjespersen

Leica M8
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 03:07:04 am »

I know this is late, but here is a test I did with the Leica M8 at 640 ISO.  I could not believe the image quality after upsizing and printing 21 inches wide at 290.
I really want one but may have to wait for the M9.. if it ever happens.  full frame?

http://p45plus.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/leica-m8.html

DonWeston

Leica M8
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 09:42:11 am »

As far as unreliable, any camera maker or model can have problems, have had an M8 for about 9 mos. Went through an initial stage without UV/IR filters and then upgrades  and filters and now have a camera that works fairly well. Never been back to Germany or anywhere else. Other makers and models have issues to, have had two Canons replaced, died within 2 weeks or 6 mos, a S3 having power issues and a power module, whatever, that was replaced. Stuff happens...period. That said, M8 is a tool for a certain type of shooting, nothing less, nothing more. It appeals to some who appreciate it at a cost, and not so much for others.

As a camera, for what it is, it is great, small, light, inconspicuous, no it is not the best for long tele or macro, DUH.....what do you want. I shoot it along side of my dslrs, not in place of them. As for lenses, I have Leica, Zeiss and CV. They all work very well. Looking at prints, even larger prints, 16x24+, they look great. I can shoot wide angles that are sharp corner to corner, not such an easy task with the 5D I had, but that is another story. Look at prints, not your monitor as a final test. IF you only looking at a monitor for useage, buy a P&S. It is the best camera for B&W since my Hassies. Use it for its strengths, end of story. Don't worry about the rest, JMHO

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica M8
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:22 am »

I'm on my fourth M8 body. They kept failing. Maybe I'm just plain out of luck, but I wish I could have won the lottery four times instead

And indeed, it is small, the lenses are super-sharp and the B&W images look like nothing else I own. It's got all those strengths you mention, but bad reliability.

Edmund

As far as unreliable, any camera maker or model can have problems, have had an M8 for about 9 mos. Went through an initial stage without UV/IR filters and then upgrades  and filters and now have a camera that works fairly well. Never been back to Germany or anywhere else. Other makers and models have issues to, have had two Canons replaced, died within 2 weeks or 6 mos, a S3 having power issues and a power module, whatever, that was replaced. Stuff happens...period. That said, M8 is a tool for a certain type of shooting, nothing less, nothing more. It appeals to some who appreciate it at a cost, and not so much for others.

As a camera, for what it is, it is great, small, light, inconspicuous, no it is not the best for long tele or macro, DUH.....what do you want. I shoot it along side of my dslrs, not in place of them. As for lenses, I have Leica, Zeiss and CV. They all work very well. Looking at prints, even larger prints, 16x24+, they look great. I can shoot wide angles that are sharp corner to corner, not such an easy task with the 5D I had, but that is another story. Look at prints, not your monitor as a final test. IF you only looking at a monitor for useage, buy a P&S. It is the best camera for B&W since my Hassies. Use it for its strengths, end of story. Don't worry about the rest, JMHO
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

DonWeston

Leica M8
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 11:04:40 am »

I have paid my price with issues with 3 5Ds so I feel your pain. But after reading your comments I now feel lucky in comparison with the M8. Funny so far I have not had significant issues with any of the Nikon bodies I have had. Others have had similar issues with their Nikons. I guess we really have to realize that cameras are cutting edge technology to a huge extent and quality control is not what it once was in almost anything in todays disposible society. Many folk including me take it forgranted that some one can have totally the opposite experience as they do with the same gear.......sorry....

Khun_K

Leica M8
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 05:23:23 am »

I have paid my price with issues with 3 5Ds so I feel your pain. But after reading your comments I now feel lucky in comparison with the M8. Funny so far I have not had significant issues with any of the Nikon bodies I have had. Others have had similar issues with their Nikons. I guess we really have to realize that cameras are cutting edge technology to a huge extent and quality control is not what it once was in almost anything in todays disposible society. Many folk including me take it forgranted that some one can have totally the opposite experience as they do with the same gear.......sorry....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I found mine to be excellent and gone thru many thousand shots and loving it. At least for a camera of such sensor size, does tell that in digital capture era, how important the lens quality is.

Gary Ferguson

Leica M8
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 04:53:41 pm »

I like my M8, mainly because the body and lenses are compact enough to easily fit into carry-on flight luggage. And the file quality is very good, although not significantly better than 5D files. It's been reasonably reliable except for one occasion in steamy, mid-day Karachi when it simply failed, although a few hours in an air conditioned hotel room brought it back to life. It handles like all the Leica rangefinders I've used for thirty years, except for the horrible shutter which sounds like a breaking spring!

All in all, a good camera, but not quite a great one.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Leica M8
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 11:11:04 am »

I know this is late, but here is a test I did with the Leica M8 at 640 ISO.  I could not believe the image quality after upsizing and printing 21 inches wide at 290.
I really want one but may have to wait for the M9.. if it ever happens.  full frame?

For those interested, here is a discussion of very large prints from the M8.  For some inexplicable reason, it's files seem to be very agreeable with large amounts of up-rezzing: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

jpjespersen

Leica M8
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »

I just purchased an M8 after trying it at my local dealer Pictureline.  It really is an amazing 10MP camera.  I processed the files to be around 25MP and they look amazing.  Way sharper than my D2X  and for a camera that is so small and light, just great.  This camera will be the perfect compliment to my Phase One P45+.  In fact I will call it my 'Baby Phase' because of its rugged all metal build and outstanding image quality.
JP
http://www.p45plus.typepad.com

Chris Livsey

Leica M8
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 06:05:24 pm »

Reviewing this thread a number of posters have commented on the entry cost to the system. This is really the lens cost, not to say the body is cheap but it is in that Pro body area. The selection of S/H lenses, most owned by amateurs who make the "cherished by one owner" description true, for once, is large; perhaps with the exception of the wides which M owners have snapped up due to the crop.
The ability to put on virtually any M series lens made since 1950 odd opens up a world of choice as not everyone wants the razor sharp ASPH look.
The assumption seems to be price it all from new and gasp. Whilst Canon L glass does appear to cost almost as much S/H as new from some dealers the Leica glass shows a healthy discount from new at which it is stable. The legendary build quality which the M8 has somewhat tarnished, and I personally still wish it felt more like an MP in the hand which it patently does not, means the glass is a sound S/H buy backed by a first class repair service even back to those early lenses.

At the end of the day few photographers have not wanted to own a Leica or a Hasselblad or both. When you have you may hate it/them but it will be out of your system or in it or ever. Was it Michael who said he would only let go of his M8 when prised from his cold dead hand? (apologies if paraphrased).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up