Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CANON iPF5000: Quirks, Hassles and Learning Curve  (Read 7851 times)

focalpoint

• http://
CANON iPF5000: Quirks, Hassles and Learning Curve
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:13:05 am »

Hi, I am new to the site, so Hello.  

The Canon iPF 5000 is my problem.  There it sits, just off to my left. I've had it for over a year.  I've been busy with stuff and have just loaded my first set of replacement inks into the machine.  It intimidates me.  It seems that virtually every time I make one or two prints it torments me with some message and a flashing red light that stops everything.  Even something as simple as Portrait vs. Landscape choice seems to annoy it.  And then I get a message "Cannot Print Borderless"---this after just printing borderless.  And messages that I am suppose to reconnect it, or cassette vs. roll, or wrong paper....it goes on and on.  The Reference Manual is useless.

Question: is there somewhere to get really clear and thorough instruction about the 5000?  I am determined to spend December working with the thing, but I just need a leg up to get in the right direction.  Canon Techs have been useful, but I would like to find another source of instruction and advice about the machine.  

I use it with a MacBook Pro.  (I've recently read that the 5000 doesn't like Leopard, so, I'll refrain from installing that for a bit.)  

Any tips and advice will be most highly appreciated.  

Thanks,  Tim Stenning, Forks, Washington
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:14:38 am by focalpoint »
Tim Stenning

tandlh

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:42:11 am »

"Question: is there somewhere to get really clear and thorough instruction about the 5000?  I am determined to spend December working with the thing, but I just need a leg up to get in the right direction.  Canon Techs have been useful, but I would like to find another source of instruction and advice about the machine.  "

For many of us Canon iPF owners, the definitive site for advice and assistance is the wiki site set up by John Hollenberg at http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/.

John has a done us all a great service and the iPF user community is very good.  Check out the FAQ page and then go to the discussion board.

Ted

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:06:35 am »

Keep it simple for the first month, use only the top sheet feed and the 16 bit plug in. after you have mastered those then move on to the roll feed and lower cassette.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:51:16 pm »

The Wiki, mentioned by Tom, will either solve your problems or give you company in your misery.

The learning curve is steep, but the prints can be quite beautiful.  

Kirk

focalpoint

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:32:47 pm »

Thanks all for the advice.  It gives me hope to know there are others who have struggled with the 5000. I'll start reading John Hollenberg's site.  And Marc, regarding what feed to use, I am already loaded with the Roll Feed and need to use it.  

Oddly, I did a print with the Roll Feed yesterday.  It got down to business right away and made a nice print.  Pleased with the first result, I attempted another.  As I was getting to it, I pulled out the lower cassette tray and then pushed it back in.  I don't think the 5000 liked me doing that.  I was unable to make another print from the Roll Feed.  The red light began flashing and I was told to reconnect the machine---etc.    

I feel certain that this machine has been designed to work hard and efficiently and produce formidable images.  We'll see how it goes.  It is definitely a test and challenge for me.   Tim
Tim Stenning

David White

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:24 pm »

The suggestion to look at John Hollenberg's Wiki is a good one.  You should find just about everything you need to know there.

This kind of reminds me about the old joke of "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?  Practice, practice, practice."  The ipf5000 is a pro printer and pro printers demand a lot more attention than consumer grade printers.  Once you have started using it a lot and get your workflow and printer settings down, you won't even think about the printer.  It will just churn out one beautiful print after another.
David White

focalpoint

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:47:20 pm »

Thanks David.  It is a cold, snowy day here in Forks.  A perfect day to keep up the Great Printer War. It's darkest right before the dawn.  Hope abounds.
Tim Stenning

sojournerphoto

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 05:54:38 pm »

Thanks David.  It is a cold, snowy day here in Forks.  A perfect day to keep up the Great Printer War. It's darkest right before the dawn.  Hope abounds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157705\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Read the wiki, don't worry and enjoy - I've got one and it's great once you get used. I would suggest printing from photoshop with the plugin as this give a really easy workflow. Also, make sure you've got at least firmware 1.25 installed as this improves a whole lot of areas (there is also 1.31 now, but I've not installed that yet)

Mike

focalpoint

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:38:36 pm »

Thanks Mike.  I will get the firmware.  Re the PS plugin: I'm guessing there is one for CS3.  I have not checked for the plugin recently.  I have been forced to use an old version of PS (8) where I have a plugin installed.  So, I will check on the CS3 plugin.  (I have PS 8, CS2 and CS3, but when I bought the 5000 there was no plugin for CS2.)

In the meantime, I have the User Guide which I am studying. Oddly, I noticed in the guide that  borderless printing is not possible with sheet paper--only with rolls.  Perhaps yesterday I caused the machine to switch to cassette feed when I pulled the tray out a bit and then returned it.  Also, in my box of accessories I have noticed a black disc  attachment for the roller.  This attachment clearly states that it is a borderless printing spacer.  So, it should probably be on the roller if I create images that are exactly 16 inches on the widest dimension and I want to use the full width of the roll paper.

Again, thanks for all responses.  Very helpful and encouraging.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:43:26 pm by focalpoint »
Tim Stenning

sojournerphoto

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:22 am »

Thanks Mike.  I will get the firmware.  Re the PS plugin: I'm guessing there is one for CS3.  I have not checked for the plugin recently.  I have been forced to use an old version of PS (8) where I have a plugin installed.  So, I will check on the CS3 plugin.  (I have PS 8, CS2 and CS3, but when I bought the 5000 there was no plugin for CS2.)

In the meantime, I have the User Guide which I am studying. Oddly, I noticed in the guide that  borderless printing is not possible with sheet paper--only with rolls.  Perhaps yesterday I caused the machine to switch to cassette feed when I pulled the tray out a bit and then returned it.  Also, in my box of accessories I have noticed a black disc  attachment for the roller.  This attachment clearly states that it is a borderless printing spacer.  So, it should probably be on the roller if I create images that are exactly 16 inches on the widest dimension and I want to use the full width of the roll paper.

Again, thanks for all responses.  Very helpful and encouraging.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are CS2 and CS3 plugins available (download if required) - the CS2 plugin sometimes worksin CS3 (PC based). The wiki is probably better than the user guide to get you going - I have never used the manual really! The printer will only do borderless from roll as it over prints slightly and then cuts off the ends:) and the spacer is for borderless on 16 inch rolls.  Removing and replacing the cassette shouldn't cause the printer to swictch feed paths, though you will need to confirm paper type/size if it's online. One nice thing with the 5000 is that you can have the roll and cassette loaded together, with different papers, and select the paper choice from the plugin (or driver)

Mike

focalpoint

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 03:12:19 am »

I'm getting there. I've fond Michael Reichman really good on the 5000.  And the Wiki.   Reading Andrew Rodney's book on Color Management is helping me come to terms with the complexities of printing.

So I think this web site has got me going.  I see bordless printing could be problematic if it causes ink to spill over past the edge of paper (media as it is jargonistically referred to).  I like to build a border right into my image dimensions (pixels) that goes to the edge of the "media"---whether sheet or roll.  I probably should see what border is already built into the printer's system.  Also, as much as I often like a dark border--sometimes black, etc., I can see how that would be costly with ink so precious.  And if one was to use a borderless option, those dark colors obvious spill over into the machine--apparently into the platen area.  So, White borders seem to be the answer.  Or allow a white border and use a guillotine to trim the paper back to a colored border if the aesthetics demand it.  (or maybe it paints to inside the edge of the paper and then trims to give the borderless effect--so maybe the machine does not like to see the input dimensions go exactly to the edge of the media--maybe the machine needs a  a bit of slack.)

Anyway, I'll sort it out.   Tim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:17:45 am by focalpoint »
Tim Stenning

marcmccalmont

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:31 am »

It is worth finding the 16bit plugin for CS3 (probably on your installation disk) as it will improve the quality of your prints
Marc
Marc McCalmont

focalpoint

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 03:52:42 am »

OK--16 bit it is.  I'll get on that tomorrow.  Now I'm warming to the game..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:53:29 am by focalpoint »
Tim Stenning

marcmccalmont

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 05:07:29 am »

OK--16 bit it is.  I'll get on that tomorrow.  Now I'm warming to the game..
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=360&modelid=14005]http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...0&modelid=14005[/url]

Marc
Marc McCalmont

sojournerphoto

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:14:17 am »

I'm getting there. I've fond Michael Reichman really good on the 5000.  And the Wiki.   Reading Andrew Rodney's book on Color Management is helping me come to terms with the complexities of printing.

So I think this web site has got me going.  I see bordless printing could be problematic if it causes ink to spill over past the edge of paper (media as it is jargonistically referred to).  I like to build a border right into my image dimensions (pixels) that goes to the edge of the "media"---whether sheet or roll.  I probably should see what border is already built into the printer's system.  Also, as much as I often like a dark border--sometimes black, etc., I can see how that would be costly with ink so precious.  And if one was to use a borderless option, those dark colors obvious spill over into the machine--apparently into the platen area.  So, White borders seem to be the answer.  Or allow a white border and use a guillotine to trim the paper back to a colored border if the aesthetics demand it.  (or maybe it paints to inside the edge of the paper and then trims to give the borderless effect--so maybe the machine does not like to see the input dimensions go exactly to the edge of the media--maybe the machine needs a  a bit of slack.)

Anyway, I'll sort it out.   Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Borderless works by enlarging the image to be slightly bigger than the roll paper width and then cutting off the leading and trailing edges (iirc). The overspay at the sides of the paper are drawn into drains below the platten, so you can only print borderless on certain widths of paper.

I second the use of the 16 bit plugin - as well as improved image quality you also get a much better interface.

Mike

rpinzone

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 11:21:49 am »

Borderless works by enlarging the image to be slightly bigger than the roll paper width and then cutting off the leading and trailing edges (iirc). The overspay at the sides of the paper are drawn into drains below the platten, so you can only print borderless on certain widths of paper.

I second the use of the 16 bit plugin - as well as improved image quality you also get a much better interface.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Everyone,
I'n new to the board and a new owner of a 5000. I run off a MAC OS X 10.4.11 and Photoshop CS version 8.

I thought I'd jump in here since I'm having some of the same issues. My main issue is how to get it to spit out a standard 8 x 10 print using ANSI Letter? I can get it close, but not quiet to the size I need. The difficulty seems to be in adjusting the 'output image size.' Any suggestions? I didn't think it would be so problematic adjusting the print size of an image.

Thanks,
~ r

rpinzone

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:28:36 pm »

Wow!

Ok.. I've been playing around with it.. Lightroom is not mentioned in the plug-ins.. However, I was able to print from there and I find it's mush easier to control the print size. Also, it gives you a really nice, accurate preview of the job. Also, the colors are more accurate. Let me step back... After adjusting and finishing photo's in Lightroom, I was transferring and printing from Photoshop CS. I found that the colors and luster were not what it should be. However, printing directly from Lightroom has corrected that issue.

Of course, some of you may have already known this.. Remember: I'm a newbee..  

~ r

focalpoint

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »

Wow!

Ok.. I've been playing around with it.. Lightroom is not mentioned in the plug-ins.. However, I was able to print from there and I find it's mush easier to control the print size. Also, it gives you a really nice, accurate preview of the job. Also, the colors are more accurate. Let me step back... After adjusting and finishing photo's in Lightroom, I was transferring and printing from Photoshop CS. I found that the colors and luster were not what it should be. However, printing directly from Lightroom has corrected that issue.
Of course, some of you may have already known this.. Remember: I'm a newbee..   
~ r
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rpinzone:  don't know if you are still reading this thread, but it was good to get your ideas. If you have had any more experiences, good or annoying, I would enjoying hearing of them.  

TIm
Tim Stenning
Pages: [1]   Go Up