Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Macro - Sony or Pentax?  (Read 2788 times)

andyptak

Best Macro - Sony or Pentax?
« on: November 30, 2007, 04:07:33 pm »

I'm trying to teach myself food photography - not easy! - and realize that I need a good Macro. I have a Sony A700 and a Pentax K10D. Anyone with experience as to which is the better Macro lens between these two? Thanks.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:18:05 pm »

I don't grok the question.  Are you asking for lens recommendations?

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:23 pm »

Both Sony and Pentax make a 100mm Macro and I'm not sure which is the better glass. I wondered if anyone had experience with either or both. Price isn't an issue, I'm looking for which is best.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:19:32 pm »

I can't find any tests to help you out.  Although photozone.de has tests of two pentax macros.  Looks good and pentax primes are hard to beat.

Er1kksen

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:27:41 am »

100mm macro primes by any manufacturer are bound to be very sharp, possibly higher resolving than your 10mp camera sensor. Shooting macro you're likely to be stopped down, so max aperture is less important as well, as is AF speed.

Which camera do you prefer to work with? Buy the lens of that manufacture.

Diapositivo

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:10:23 pm »

If you work in studio (in a setup environment), with tripod, flashes and all calm, as I suppose you do with food, then I would suggest you buy a tilting-shifting bellow and a bellow-specific lens. I don't know if somebody make those for the Sony-Konika-Minolta bayonet mount, but you should certainly find something on eBay for the Pentax K-mount.

When shooting macro and food you probably want a very high degree of planarity of field and you probably would like very much to be able to move your focal plane (I mean not the focal plane on film, but the focal plane in front of the lens) to adapt it to your subject.

The tilting-shifting bellow will not be immediate to use (and probably it will not have auto-diaphragm) but you will see the difference in the final result, with the steak in focus and the potatoes, too.

Bellow-specific lenses always give better macro performances than macro lenses or than normal lenses on bellows, because bellow-specific lenses are designed to work on near subjects and to have a field of focus as planar as possible, also they are corrected for constance of center-edge definition.

Cheers
Fabrizio
Pages: [1]   Go Up