Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on Canvas with a 7880  (Read 3585 times)

i2-lens

Printing on Canvas with a 7880
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:46:36 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to large format ink jet priting and want to explore into the world of printing on Canvas.  I recently received my 7880 printer about 2 weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the printing results on Enhanced matte paper (thats all I've tried so far).  I was a Vistek today and looked at some sample canvas prints and was quite impressed.

I was recommended Premier Imaging Matte Canvas.  I do like the texture and the samples prints were very good.  I'm sure many of you may have used this canvas as well as others.  I'd be interested in your opinion on the types of Canvas you use.  Are the profiles from Premier Imaging good or should I get custom profiles?

Also, what is the best approach regarding coating the canvas after printing.  Should I attempt to do this myself and how is it applied, spray, roll on, etc?  Is there a recommended service company that can coat, stretch and mount/frame the canvas in the Toronto area?

I know I'm asking a lot and I do appreciate any information that you can provide.  Perhaps you can point me to some written articles on this subject that will help me get started?

Thanks in advance,
Fernand

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »

Hi Fernand!

Since no one else replied I'll throw in my humble canvas opinions.  

I prefer the matte canvases with any gloss added to the coating/laminate.   Canvas really needs protection from physical damage like scratching since the ink and coating is fragile and the print will not usually be protected by glass.  

My favorite canvas is the epson piezo pro but Epson does such a poor job with supply I'm giving it up once my stock on hand is gone.  Also I've had several prints wrecked by canvas defects that should never have made it out of the factory.   In addition Epson hasn't yet done the profiles for the PP & 7880/9880 and for my printer at least it would need one to get the most out of the combination.   I do like that it has a nice feel and is similar in color to regular artists canvas -- less inkjet-y I guess would be the word.    

Ilford's smooth canvas is very good and similar to the piezo pro but even harder to find and relatively expensive so it was not an alternative for me.

In the Piezo pro's place I'm starting to use Breathing Color's matte canvas called Chromata White but I'm currently waiting on profiles as it does not seem to do well with the basic epson profile for WPRW.   Also it is more difficult ordering from them as they do not have an easy shipping method and tend to use UPS's economy which is basic robbery for Canadians.   The Chromata white is smoother, cheaper, and whiter than the piezo pro and also from the few rolls I've used so far seems to have fewer defects than the epson product.

I've also tried a bit of preimer art's water-resistant canvas but didn't care for it mostly because of the gloss.  

We had a long thread recently discussing coatings and other options here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19862

Good luck
Doug
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:45:02 pm by DougMorgan »

i2-lens

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your help and advice and I read the thread.  Is your laminator local in the Toronto area?  I'm like you, if I can find a service that does a good job, I would bring my business to them.

Fernand
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:00:08 pm by i2-lens »

DougMorgan

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:07:32 pm »

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your help and advice and I read the thread.  Is your laminator local in the Toronto area?  I'm like you, if I can find a service that does a good job, I would bring my business to them.

Fernand
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, the laminator is in Vancouver.   I'm sure they could set something up but the cost of shipping as well as the delay involved may be prohibitive.   You'd think there'd be something similar available in Toronto.  It's almost as happening as Vancouver      

They do a good job and there is virtually no colour shifts with the laminate which was a problem with some others I've tried.   Try a sample print with puffy white clouds if you are evaluating someone.  While a warming shift with portraits may not be objectionable I don't like the effect on landscapes.

Doug

i2-lens

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 01:13:32 pm »

Doug, sorry for the delayed reply (out of the box for awhile, but back now) and thanks for all your assistance and advice, it truly is apprecaited.

Does anyone know of a good company that provides laminating and stretching service in the Toronto area?  Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Cheers,
Fernand

DougMorgan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 01:35:55 pm »

Fernand:

In the meantime I've got a profile from breathing color and the result is now acceptable:  prints are now very close between the 9800 I was using and the new 9880, maybe even a little better.   If you go this route you'll probably need to do the same which would entail getting a sample of the canvas from breathing color on which to print your profile patches, sending it back to California, and then waiting for the file to be emailed back.

Good luck!
Doug

i2-lens

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:08:54 pm »

I was able to download a profile today from their website for the 7880 printer for the Chromata White canvas.  Did you try this profile?  I know they will make a custom one for me for free.  I ordered a sample pack of their paper today and will try the profile from their web site first.  If no good, then I'll get the to make a custom one.
Regards,
Fernand

DougMorgan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:24 pm »

I've got the 9880 and the first profile they made (for another machine) wasn't a good fit.  The custom made one for my own machine worked much better.

Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up