Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon printer service breakthrough  (Read 3948 times)

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Canon printer service breakthrough
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:55:42 pm »

I believe Canon has a new service policy about printers that need repeated service calls. Jim Doyle (of Shades of Paper) says Canon has a new & positive attitude about customer service, & he's meeting with them to discuss needs/expectations of the fine-art printing community.  

I had an unusual string of parts failures in my iPF5000, & the service technicians had trouble fixing them. In brief: Hardware Error 1 = new carriage spring; roll feeder gear failure; friction/squeaking in carriage, not changed by lubrication; whole new carriage; random failures to recognize cartridges, requiring new sensors; further carriage friction, wearing out some sort of tape that tracks carriage movement. This took five service visits, one of them 2 days' work; & one more part arrived that would've required another service call. In addition, replacing the cartridge sensors involved 2 flushings of the ink lines and filled an extra maintenance tank - quite an expense on my part for ink!

That was the bad news. The good news is that things took a notable turn for the better: I wrote to Jim that I was really frustrated & wanted replacement with a new unit - and with a bit of a push on his part, they did it! And not just another 5000, a 5100! If you have a good dealer, these folks will hear about problems & 'come through.'

I got a call from a Canon rep that a replacement would be forthcoming. I suggested to him that when any particular repair needs more than 1 or 2 visits, Canon should do what Epson does, at least with 17" printers - send another & take the troubled one back to be refurbished. He thought this was a good idea, & I hope it got passed up the chain.

Also I suggested that the service techs have a sort of 5xxx - 6xxx repair kit, with the roll feed gears on hand for replacement whenever they make a call re: a printer with the 'early' gears. And a supply of ink - at least a set of 90ml starter cartridges - & a spare maintenance tank, so that when they have to drain & refill the ink lines, the client won't find - as we did - that there isn't enough ink on hand to start, test, & run the printer after the repair.

The rep seemed receptive to these suggestions, and Jim sent a note that he's meeting with some Canon higher-ups to improve customer service for the fine-arts printing community, particularly those of us who have just one printer & want Canon print quality without long repair delays.

I think these are positive signs of a turn-around in Canon's interest in customer service. I believe they're finally listening to us & hearing dealers like Jim.

Kirk Thompson
www.dryreading.com/kirkthompson/

('Scuse me, that was a 'push,' not a 'psuh,' at the beginning - but I it looks like you can't edit the topic titles.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:58:12 pm by thompsonkirk »

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:22 pm »

This is exactly why I grudgingly stuck with epson for this go around.  

Hopefully some of these changes actually happen and the effects trickle up to Canada by the time I need my next printer:)    The first step is always admitting you have a problem.

Doug

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »

I think Canon has made some significant strides in the past year improving both their printers and support.  It is nice to have a string of good news to report over the last 6 months or so:

--Printheads now have one year warranty
--Improvements in black inks with iPFX100 series
--No hassle replacement of defective ink carts in USA
--Defective roll feed units on iPF5000 printers covered outside of one year warranty as promised
--and now the beginning of a "lemon" replacement policy.

The only remaining problems of significance affecting me personally are:

--Locked media types
--Lack of longevity data (none at all published for iPFX100 inkset)
--Scaling by percentage in Photoshop plugin rather than by desired dimensions

--John

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 04:07:10 pm »

There is another report to the Wiki today of a printer that had pretty significant problems.  Canon's handling of the problem was superb in my opinion:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/1890845

--John

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:55:06 pm »

Sounds like awesome service now. How does this compare to Epson's service on their large format printers?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up