Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DUST and Medium Format?? As bad as DSLR??  (Read 3319 times)

Snook

DUST and Medium Format?? As bad as DSLR??
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »

Hello all, Just bought a P30 and AFDII and RZIIProD and have not actually got the back yet but just noticed in another post of DustBak's Post on multi shot that he has a lot of dust going on on his images and brought me to ask.
Is Dust as big as a problem with MFDB's as which DSLR and is it easier to clean yourself unlike with the CAnon for instance that it is NOT recommended to clean the sensor. I do it all the time with both 1DsMII and 5D with eclipse and sensor swabs and it works pretty darn good.
Is it different or easier than that? I plan on keeping my P30 on the back of the camera practically all the time but was wondering if that even matters.
How often do you need cleaning in studio at least?
In the beginning when I had to clean my 1DsMII myself I was always worried something would go wrong and I got sick of paying (here) alot of money for cleaning services that I finally did it my self and have no worries doing it now at all.
Anybody care to add their experiences
Thanks
Snook

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:59 pm »

No problem with dust at all. I clean it every two weeks. The whole process takes 30sec. Never seen any dust in my files and I retouch my images on actual pixels size all the time.
http://andrenapier.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:25:07 pm »

Correct there is some dust on the sensor I used. I tend to swap now & than between bodies and sensors so it gets dusted pretty quickly.

I find it no problem. Pec-pad, some drops of fluid and just swipe it clean. Because the sensor is completely exposed and really easy to access it is no problem whatsoever.

I just make sure to always take a clean and fresh pec-pad tissue. It is by no means comparable to DSLR.

I have even cleaned it with my T-shirt in the field because I had nothing else, this is not recommendable but shows if you really have to it can. Just make sure you use a clean cloth. I just did  that once BTW which is also pretty daring in my book.

I saw the images I posted and also decided to clean the sensor and blow some air through the Digiflex before I take some new images.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:27:09 pm by Dustbak »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:31:35 pm »

Oh.... some of the stuff that looks like dust is actually dust on my table! God... I can be lazy sometimes.

But than again. I do have a special relation with dust
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:32:05 pm by Dustbak »

Snook

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:19 pm »

Oh.... some of the stuff that looks like dust is actually dust on my table! God... I can be lazy sometimes.

But than again. I do have a special relation with dust
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great thanks guys.. Can you scratch the sensor easily?
DustBak sorry I used your image as an example  , But just happen to see your image and the dust and thought I'd better ask..:+}
Thanks a lot.
Snook  
Jeeeez I cannot wait to get my P30!!!

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:25:56 pm »

There is a piece of glass/IR filter over the sensor, it is very easy to clean. I use a dry method with the sensor brush mostly and it is so easy to get to it by taking the back off the camera. I do it frequently and have not had to resort to the wet method as often.
You "can" scratch the glass, which would be a bummer, it would require a trip back to the factory and probably a few hundred to replace. I had my back go back for a warranty repair on the circuitry and they replaced the Glass/IR filter as a matter of course.

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:34:11 pm »

Aircraft Cleaner works. Aircraft, Auto, Marine, RV, Kitchen & Bath, Digital Backs. "Cleans and protects all surfaces and windows." No scratches.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:48:21 pm »

Before going to MF I used my 1Ds II for both landscape and nature and was always in the process of attempting to clean the dust and being very happy if I got it at least 90% clean.  Since moving to MF and the P30+ I find that I simply don’t have the problem with dust as I once had.  I just recently switched focusing screens out and thought I’d give the back a cleaning as well and actually created dust – so I need to re-clean it again.  Not bad at all since it hasn’t been cleaned for months.

Bottom line is that you should have way less problems

BTW at home in Tucson we call dust a protective coating  

don
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:50:46 pm by Iron Creek »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:58:06 pm »

Snook,

I use a Giotto Rocket-Air or a good micro cloth to get the light dust off.  I've designated one of my cloths just for my MFDB so I don't get any heavy dirt on it.  I only use cleaning solution when I have a hard to get dirt on my back.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:09:05 pm »

I use the Arctic Butterfly (see Michael's review) which is much easier and less likely to cause problems than liquid and swabs. I use it for my MK IIDs every few days of shooting.

As for my MF back (P45+), I find it seems to attract dust far less than the Canon. I clean it maybe every 5-10 days of shooting. The Butterfly also is "airplane safe" - unlike the liquids which are prohibited, even in checked baggage.

As already observed, cleaning an MF back is MUCH easier because it is so accessible.

Bill

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »

I totally agree with Chris; I use the Giotto Rocket-Air as well and it works, even in the dusty Southwest!

don
Pages: [1]   Go Up