Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Received my 1ds Mark III today  (Read 9788 times)

scott_dobry

• http://www.scottdobry.com
Received my 1ds Mark III today
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:14:54 pm »

The 1Ds Mark III's are out there!  I was first on the list at my dealer so I officially took possession of mine today.      My dealer thought he would also get 2 or 3 more in the next few days as well according to their Canon rep (who was right on the money with the predicted delivery date of this camera).

A shame I won't have time to really do anything with her until this weekend though.
[span style='color:orange'][url=http://w

marcmccalmont

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:05:07 am »

Call in sick!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:26 am »

That's just brilliant keep us posted with some samples please... cause who knows when mine will arrive. My dealer still has no clue

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:45:01 am »

That's just brilliant keep us posted with some samples please... cause who knows when mine will arrive. My dealer still has no clue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto.. my dealer says I *might* get one in January if Im lucky  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

PSA DC-9-30

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:14:14 am »

So, maybe I'm hopelessly out of the loop here. I know the 1Ds Mk.III is arguably the hottest dSLR in the world right now, but why in the world can't an established photographpy powerhouse like Canon make enough of these to satisfy demand, rather than trickling out a few at a time? I mean c'mon, it's not like this thing is a $300,000 Patek Philippe minute-repeater/tourbillion/split second chronograph/perpetual calendar wristwatch that only two people in the world are qualified to build.

geotzo

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:47:10 am »

So, maybe I'm hopelessly out of the loop here. I know the 1Ds Mk.III is arguably the hottest dSLR in the world right now, but why in the world can't an established photographpy powerhouse like Canon make enough of these to satisfy demand, rather than trickling out a few at a time? I mean c'mon, it's not like this thing is a $300,000 Patek Philippe minute-repeater/tourbillion/split second chronograph/perpetual calendar wristwatch that only two people in the world are qualified to build.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I can't really explain it but it must be some weird marketing minds who thought it should be this way. Otherwise I agree they should have provided enough to satisfy all pre-orders worldwide. Its a petty because I ve ordered mine two months ago and I was the first to do so in my local reseller's list, but still he is not going to be able to get any till late December probably or maybe later... You see they know those who want the camera will wait as long as it takes  

scott_dobry

• http://www.scottdobry.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:59:28 pm »

Yeah, I don't really know how I (I never win drawings / lotteries / get first on any list / etc.) or my dealer were lucky enough to get some right out of the gate.  

I'll try to do some testing this weekend.  I'm chomping at the bit but I obviously I can't just send her out on a gig tomorrow without testing.
[span style='color:orange'][url=http://w

geotzo

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 07:07:14 am »

Has anyone got it from anywhere in Europe? Just curious

BJL

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:34:01 pm »

So, maybe I'm hopelessly out of the loop here. I know the 1Ds Mk.III is arguably the hottest dSLR in the world right now, but why in the world can't an established photographpy powerhouse like Canon make enough of these to satisfy demand, rather than trickling out a few at a time?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe it is like this:

1) Canon expects a certain long-term sales rate, say 2,000/mo, and sets up that much production capacity (2,000/no was the stated production rate for both previous 1Ds models.) In the long run this is the right amount, but of course during the first few moths of production demand will exceed supply. Worse, production often takes a while to settle in to optimum yields, so initial product levels are lower than they will be after few months.

What are the alternatives?
2) start producing, but stockpile all cameras produced for several months, so that when the product is released, there are enough for everyone. But that just replaces a few moths of limited supply by having no supply at all during those same months, with the cameras sitting in warehouse. This might be commercially smart, to match release with a big advertising blitz when the product is released, but nobody gets their camera earlier than with plan (1).

3) Charge a far higher initial price to bring initial demand down to match supply.

4) Setup higher initial production capacity (two production lines instead of one?) and then dismantle or "repurpose" the extra after a few months. Great for customers if affordable, but the cost of setting up extra capacity only needed for a few months could be prohibitive.

So maybe not only one person who can make them like those watches, but only one production line making the sensors or the cameras is a limit.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:05 pm »

I got one (with a 14mm II lens ) on Thursday afternoon and have been trying it out since :-)

Moving from a 1Ds to the 1Ds Mk3 the changes are quite noticeable. That said it's been really quick to pick up what it can do, and it's quite like the 1Ds, just lots better in many areas :-)

Oh, and as far as I can see the AF works just fine! ;-)

I've been keeping a page of samples and comments covering how I'm finding the change:
1Ds3 notes

Hope it's of interest, but do note that it is by no means meant as a detailed technical evaluation! There are legions of pixel peepers out there who will supply all that stuff in due course :-) :-)

If anyone has any questions about the actual images, then do feel free to mail me directly?
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:57:33 pm »

Got mine this afternoon in London, so charging the battery as i write. Only thing i am not happy about is that my 1DS2 'Really Right Stuff' L-bracket doesn't  fit.

My dealer had 8 bodies in today, and they are all gone, expecting a further 18 next week which he said should fill all his backorders. Also saw two photographers picking up there Nikon D3's today from the same store so i think the dealer had a good day!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:58:21 pm by Gary Yeowell »

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 12:55:17 am »

Mine arrived today. While charging the batteries overnight, I will settle in with the instructions over some scotch and take a serious look at it tomorrow.
Dr D White DDS BSc

Huib

• http://www.huibnederhof.nl
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 10:29:09 am »

Got mine today. First impression. Shutter very quiet. Noise at 100 asa in the shadows is completly gone. Photos at 1600 asa very useble.  
Colors are very nice.
----------
[url=http://www.huibnederhof.

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:41 am »

Hi,

We did a test between a DSM2 and a new DSM3 with a 90mm tilt/Shift same settings on both at all ISO.

When we compare them in Lightroom on a 30in. We where disapointed since we did not notice any real improvements or differences between both of them.

Yes, the ergonomics are there, color saturation seems higher on the DSM3, the DSM3 was more sensitive by a third stop on our camera but we could not see a 1 stop gain in the ISO. In fact, at times the DSM2 won !!

Is it worth to upgrade? The ergonomics, the battery, the camera management of the new Menus, the memory management says yes !

On the second hand, the size of the pictures begs for an upgrade of Apple tower (5 go of memory). The upload and conversion to DNG on the fly is very slow.

The 5D stands the winner for a Wedding Photographer who wants to work at 800 ISO!

No we did not do an extensive analysis, we did it with our eyes. We would like to jumps of joy but could not. In fact, after selling our two DSM2 for two DSM3 we are still under the shock!

Our 2 cents worth..

Huib

• http://www.huibnederhof.nl
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 10:48:26 am »

Hi,

In fact, at times the DSM2 won !!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1Ds2 won in what???????????????
----------
[url=http://www.huibnederhof.

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 11:51:29 am »

1Ds2 won in what???????????????
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To answer your question Huib: For lower noise...

But I have to correct myself. In Canon White Paper of the 1DSM3 They state that there is no improvement of the level of noise compared to the 1DSM2.

I stand corrected.

André

Ray

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 12:12:04 pm »

When we compare them in Lightroom on a 30in. We where disapointed since we did not notice any real improvements or differences between both of them.

Yes, the ergonomics are there, color saturation seems higher on the DSM3, the DSM3 was more sensitive by a third stop on our camera but we could not see a 1 stop gain in the ISO. In fact, at times the DSM2 won !!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't expect either resolution or noise from the 1Ds3 to be significantly better than the 1Ds2, just as its not when comparing the Canon 40D with the 20D or 30D.

The days of leaps in performance might be over. You've usually got to skip at least one upgrade before noticing obvious and undeniable improvements. Those who are moving from a 1Ds or 5D to the 1Ds3 should certainly notice a worthwhile improvement, in resolution compared to the 5D, and in both resolution and noise compared to the 1Ds.

As an owner of a 5D, it's a dilemma for me because I could certainly use the extra resolution and detail from a 1Ds3 because I have a wide format printer, but the camera is really too heavy and expensive for me. I'd prefer to wait for the 5D upgrade but I'm worried it will have too few pixels. Rumours are that it will have 16mp and that's simply not enough to make a worthwhile difference.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 12:47:03 pm »

I've been out this morning in some blustery changeable weather to see how the 1ds3 handles bright sun and dark clouds.

As someone moving from 1Ds to 1Ds3, the differences in shadow noise, handling of blown highlights and sheer colour 'feel' are a joy to use (not that I didn't get some good stuff on the 1Ds! ;-)
This from my notes page

bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »

I wouldn't expect either resolution or noise from the 1Ds3 to be significantly better than the 1Ds2, just as its not when comparing the Canon 40D with the 20D or 30D.

The days of leaps in performance might be over. You've usually got to skip at least one upgrade before noticing obvious and undeniable improvements. Those who are moving from a 1Ds or 5D to the 1Ds3 should certainly notice a worthwhile improvement, in resolution compared to the 5D, and in both resolution and noise compared to the 1Ds.

As an owner of a 5D, it's a dilemma for me because I could certainly use the extra resolution and detail from a 1Ds3 because I have a wide format printer, but the camera is really too heavy and expensive for me. I'd prefer to wait for the 5D upgrade but I'm worried it will have too few pixels. Rumours are that it will have 16mp and that's simply not enough to make a worthwhile difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the 5D is better for noise, night photos, and noise at 800 ISO than the 1DSM2. Just out of curiosity, we are planing a shoot out of a 40D, 5D and a 1DSM3 in a week or so.

Ray

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 01:33:22 pm »

Well, the 5D is better for noise, night photos, and noise at 800 ISO than the 1DSM2. Just out of curiosity, we are planing a shoot out of a 40D, 5D and a 1DSM3 in a week or so.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157951\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll be interested in the results. I predict the differences between the 40D and 5D will be as marginal as the differences you saw comparing the the 1Ds2 with the 1Ds3 and because of this, differences in lens quality and accuracy of focussing will be critical.

Ideally, you should use the same high quality prime for all cameras which, in the case of the 40D, means moving further away from the target or scene to equalize FoV. Unfortunately, it's not possible to use the same lens at the same aperture and also equalise DoF.

In view of this difficulty, I think it would be better to photograph a 2-dimensional printed page from a distance such that, at least some of the text is on the verge of illegibility, using the sharpest aperture with all cameras.

If shooting a 3-dimensional scene, having equalized FoV you should adjust f stop by a factor of 1.6 or 1 & 2/3rds stops. For example, f4.5 on the 40D and f8 on the 5D and 1Ds3, and here's the problem. Have you got a lens that's equally sharp at f4.5 and f8, or f5 and f9?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up